Is this a root issue, nute deficiency or something else?

• Thread starter Venus32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Venus32

Venus32

Hi growing community,

Let me cut a very long story short.
Got Girl Scout Cookies entering 6th week of flower. Indoor soil grow in air pot. At Christmas I made the mistake over overwatering. It took 10 days to get her back to a place I could water normally again and she started to develop nicely. The buds are fattening daily but the leaves look so sad. A healthy watering schedule has lifted the very top leaves but lower leaves are still dropping though not bloated. Top leaves have burnt edges and are yellowing. Plant is due another watering today as soil is almost dry and pot is light. Question is - do I re-start the feeding schedule or continue to flush? I’ve not been checking PPM but have just got a meter so will start using to check feed. Will also look at PH in run off. It’s not had nutes since the overwatering and I’d only just started on 1/4 feed before then so is due an increase to 1/2 strength. Is it wise to feed? Anyone got experience of this? Any pointers would be much appreciated. Pics below in order are: pre overwatering - post overwatering - recovering from overwatering - what my plant looks like this morning, full view and close up. Thanks!
Is this a root issue nute deficiency or something else
Is this a root issue nute deficiency or something else 2
Is this a root issue nute deficiency or something else 3
Is this a root issue nute deficiency or something else 4
Is this a root issue nute deficiency or something else 5

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

What is run off ph and ppm? Room temp and RH during day and night?

That is what you use to determine your course of action.

Crystal ball is broken......

Venus32

Venus32

What is run off ph and ppm? Room temp and RH during day and night?

That is what you use to determine your course of action.

Crystal ball is broken......
That’s a shame - I could use one of those too!
No idea yet. PPM meter is coming today. Haven’t been measuring run off PH, only know that the PH of water going has been a constant 6.5. Daytime temp is 71-75 and nighttime is 64-66. I’m new to indoor growing so just learning...in case it’s not obvious! 😂

Venus32

Venus32

That’s a shame - I could use one of those too!
No idea yet. PPM meter is coming today. Haven’t been measuring run off PH, only know that the PH of water going has been a constant 6.5. Daytime temp is 71-75 and nighttime is 64-66. I’m new to indoor growing so just learning...in case it’s not obvious! 😂
Oh and I don’t currently have a way of measuring RH.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The leaves don't seem to be expanding to their full size, which makes me think you could be drowning the roots.

You also have what appears to be a nutrient problem (potentially K, aka potassium) but that could easily be related to overwatering/pH problems.

How wet is that soil? Do you let the pot get significantly lighter in weight before watering again?

Venus32

Venus32

The leaves don't seem to be expanding to their full size, which makes me think you could be drowning the roots.

You also have what appears to be a nutrient problem (potentially K, aka potassium) but that could easily be related to overwatering/pH problems.

How wet is that soil? Do you let the pot get significantly lighter in weight before watering again?

Thanks for coming back to me. I think you could be right. The medium isn’t well draining, my fault for not adding extra perlite. Yes, I’m letting it dry out now almost fully before watering but did quite a bit of damage from over watering before Xmas. The pot is taking 7 days to dry out between watering even though I’m not overwatering now. Do you think I should start feeding again? I know it’s not looking great but the buds are going the right way.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

I would wait for your meters.....without knowing those measurements your guessing. If the run off reads really low, you know you need to feed. If it read really high, you need to flush.....etc.

If those measurements are ok, then check ph levels in run off. Your soil ph could be way high or way low and need adjusting with a supplement like lime maybe......can't just rely on the ph of your water going in.

Some would even argue your outbound run off measurements are more important than the incoming......

If soil ph is below say 5.2 you start to starve the plants of magnesium and calcium no matter how much is present. Different elements are available to the plants at certain ph levels.

But without measuring, again your just guessing.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Thanks for coming back to me. I think you could be right. The medium isn’t well draining, my fault for not adding extra perlite. Yes, I’m letting it dry out now almost fully before watering but did quite a bit of damage from over watering before Xmas. The pot is taking 7 days to dry out between watering even though I’m not overwatering now. Do you think I should start feeding again? I know it’s not looking great but the buds are going the right way.

You can always foliar feed, if there is a need. Don't add anything else to the soil until the moisture is way down.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Hi growing community,

Let me cut a very long story short.
Got Girl Scout Cookies entering 6th week of flower. Indoor soil grow in air pot. At Christmas I made the mistake over overwatering. It took 10 days to get her back to a place I could water normally again and she started to develop nicely. The buds are fattening daily but the leaves look so sad. A healthy watering schedule has lifted the very top leaves but lower leaves are still dropping though not bloated. Top leaves have burnt edges and are yellowing. Plant is due another watering today as soil is almost dry and pot is light. Question is - do I re-start the feeding schedule or continue to flush? I’ve not been checking PPM but have just got a meter so will start using to check feed. Will also look at PH in run off. It’s not had nutes since the overwatering and I’d only just started on 1/4 feed before then so is due an increase to 1/2 strength. Is it wise to feed? Anyone got experience of this? Any pointers would be much appreciated. Pics below in order are: pre overwatering - post overwatering - recovering from overwatering - what my plant looks like this morning, full view and close up. Thanks!
View attachment 1077228View attachment 1077229View attachment 1077230View attachment 1077231View attachment 1077232

Hard to tell whats going on because you did not say your growing media or nutes you use and what strength or schedule.
First quick glance looks like a magnesium problem

Venus32

Venus32

I would wait for your meters.....without knowing those measurements your guessing. If the run off reads really low, you know you need to feed. If it read really high, you need to flush.....etc.

If those measurements are ok, then check ph levels in run off. Your soil ph could be way high or way low and need adjusting with a supplement like lime maybe......can't just rely on the ph of your water going in.

Some would even argue your outbound run off measurements are more important than the incoming......

If soil ph is below say 5.2 you start to starve the plants of magnesium and calcium no matter how much is present. Different elements are available to the plants at certain ph levels.

But without measuring, again your just guessing.
Hey, thanks for breaking it down a bit more.
Do you mean I should measure the ppm of ph’d water, run it through the soil and test the run off? Or with nutes? I’ve got my meter now.

Top Bottom