Is this a sign of root rot or root stress or something else?

• Thread starter Tommy_Green
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tommy_Green

Tommy_Green

I've got an issue with a gifted clone and not sure exactly what the cause is. Hoping the pic will help. Greatly appreciate any help, as I'm not 100% sure I've worked out the issue.

The strain is GG4 and the medium is coco under LED 18/6.

Photo taken 2 hrs after lights off.

My guess is that it’s a root problem.

I don’t think it’s heat stress as it’s only 17-18 digress.

I dimmed the lights to ensure they don't stress her out while she battles this condition.

I don’t think it’s mites as the other strain doesn’t have any signs.

BG story, I had it in the classic beer cup and it had healthy root growth. I wanted to transplant it before the cup was too small but I think I did this too early.

The temps have been cold too, so the medium wasn’t drying out too quickly. The bigger pot meant there was too much moisture perhaps but I didn’t think that really mattered in coco.

I stopped watering and waited for the medium to dry up.

I've been giving it foliar spray with some kelp.

I've now given fert with H202 to give it oxygen and hopefully kill any bad guys causing root rot.

I also pulled it out and there wasn't a lot of roots in the pot but I did see some healthy looking white roots, so maybe it's on the mend. I unfortunately didn’t look for brown rooted ones. I’m apprehensive of pulling it out again incase I damage more roots.

It has grown but what alarmed me was that the new leaf seen in the pic still has the curl. The older fan leaves don't all have the curl, which is good. While I wait another few days to see if it recovers, I'm wondering if I've identified the issue correctly?

If so is there anything I can do and how long does it take to show signs of recovery? It does seem a little more healthy but the curl is what freaks me out.

Thanks again for any advice, I really wanna save her!

Is this a sign of root rot or root stress or something else
Tommy_Green

Tommy_Green

I forgot to add the question. Could it just be over watering?

Also symptoms were first noticed 6 days ago, the plant has grown in the time being but the top leaves still curled.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Most recommended watering Coco at least once a day with 20% run off and always with nutrients
Screenshot 20200912 042601 Photo Editor

jamk911

jamk911

It may be slighr overwatering.. but its most likely just natural.. plants "go to sleep" soo to speak.. and prepare for the chilly night.. (lights off ) .. by drooping and using their leaves as a defense mechanism soo to speak.. after a few weeks youll notice your plants will EXPECT night and day hours to come.. and actually prepare and droop slightly before lights off and "pray to the light " a bit prior to lights on..

As far as watering..you just gotta go by the plants needs.. people used to tell me i needed to water far more often than I truely do... but thats just for my plants right now.. every plant is different and every nutrient and water is different to plants as well..

For instance... look at my plants.. in 5 gallon buckets... week 5 of 12 12... i only give em a gallon to 1.5 gallons every week.. and honestly even then theyre still a bit moist and could probably make it 10 days before really needing water..strange but it is what it is.. i just go with their needs.. so dont stress the watering too much just water when she needs it.
20200912 035325
20200912 035308
20200912 035004

S

Superscrip1

I've got an issue with a gifted clone and not sure exactly what the cause is. Hoping the pic will help. Greatly appreciate any help, as I'm not 100% sure I've worked out the issue.

The strain is GG4 and the medium is coco under LED 18/6.

Photo taken 2 hrs after lights off.

My guess is that it’s a root problem.

I don’t think it’s heat stress as it’s only 17-18 digress.

I dimmed the lights to ensure they don't stress her out while she battles this condition.

I don’t think it’s mites as the other strain doesn’t have any signs.

BG story, I had it in the classic beer cup and it had healthy root growth. I wanted to transplant it before the cup was too small but I think I did this too early.

The temps have been cold too, so the medium wasn’t drying out too quickly. The bigger pot meant there was too much moisture perhaps but I didn’t think that really mattered in coco.

I stopped watering and waited for the medium to dry up.

I've been giving it foliar spray with some kelp.

I've now given fert with H202 to give it oxygen and hopefully kill any bad guys causing root rot.

I also pulled it out and there wasn't a lot of roots in the pot but I did see some healthy looking white roots, so maybe it's on the mend. I unfortunately didn’t look for brown rooted ones. I’m apprehensive of pulling it out again incase I damage more roots.

It has grown but what alarmed me was that the new leaf seen in the pic still has the curl. The older fan leaves don't all have the curl, which is good. While I wait another few days to see if it recovers, I'm wondering if I've identified the issue correctly?

If so is there anything I can do and how long does it take to show signs of recovery? It does seem a little more healthy but the curl is what freaks me out.

Thanks again for any advice, I really wanna save her!
There's nothing wrong with your plants man .. The best advice you can get from anybody on these forums is to do your own research from a viable source only you know what the inputs have been no one else. There's a lot Of reasons for for a plant doing the same Thing. Like slight leaf curling. It can be heat it can be bugs it can be The Strain on and on. Don't stress just keep track of what you do

Latest posts

Top Bottom