Is This A Symptom Of Root Rot? Any Help Greatly Appreciated.

• Thread starter sorrel23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sorrel23

sorrel23

Hey all, hoping to have anyone familiar with root issues help me out. So I've had this problem now for two cycles. I'm using Royal Gold Basement Mix as a medium which is a coco based blend. I noticed it has fungus gnats both times. Last time I had this exact same leaf problem starting about day 26 in to flower. I thought that time it had maybe been a lock out due to overfeeding situation so I flushed and cut way back on nutrients. It never went away though and got worse until they were done.

This time I figured I would try my best to prevent the problems. I built tables and a drainage system so I could water to run off this time. I have reduced my feedings to 600-750 ppms (on 700 scale), and been doing a feed, feed, water schedule. Ph'ing to 6.0 give or take a point. Using Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Soil, Drip Clean, a little Maxicrop and Humic. Haven't added any Cal-Mag yet because I forgot..

I've now switched from thinking I have a deficiency or excess issue, to thinking I have a root issue. Last time symptoms started showing day 26, this time day 12, with far less feeding and much more run off. Last time I used Hydroguard from Botanicare, which I realized I forgot to add so far this time. I just now flushed with ph'ed water, some Clearex and Drip Clean and about 2 ml/gal of PBPB thinking it was a nutrient lock out issue still. Then after that came a read a bunch of stuff and realized a lot of reasons why it would be root issues.

There are definitely fungus gnats. I think my tank is overdue for a cleaning and I should probably replace the hoses for my air pump. Haven't cleaned those yet, since the beginning. Also I'm not sure I have my wet/dry cycles exactly right because some plants seem to need it much more often and I've read conflicting things about letting dry out vs keeping wet. Anyway, I'm going to go in at lights on and check out the roots and then I guess I'll know more. But has anyone seen this type of very sudden onset damage to leaves from root issues? Like, it wasn't showing any signs of damage two days ago. It looks only like what I would imagine a severe phosphorus deficiency to be but has happened even though I've been very careful not to cause lock out like I thought I did last time.

I'm very sad :( I'm employed by someone who doesn't know much at all about growing indoor and have been learning this all on my own. I thought I was doing everything right this time so it sucks to see the same thing. I'm hoping that I've stumbled upon the true cause though. Any input is appreciated! Close up daylight pics are from today, bud pics are from last grow.

Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 2
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 3
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 4
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 5
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 6
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 7
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 8
Is this a symptom of root rot any help greatly appreciated 9
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Cal mag= mandatory
Botanicare pure blend= fungus nats
Forgetting your nutes = disastrous
Looks like a potassium deficiency from your new leaf pics.
What's your feeding schedule and what are your nutes?

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

Cal mag= mandatory
how would u fix potas gipsin?

sorrel23

sorrel23

Cal mag= mandatory
i actually think you could be right, that it is a combination of several deficiencies, but what I think, is that it's being caused by the fungus that the fungus gnats are bringing. Wondering how best to treat that, Actinovate, Hydroguard, some other fungicide? And obviously something to kill the fungus gnats. I just feed botanicare pure blend pro and a little Maxicrop (kelp) and Humic acid. Also add Drip Clean. Was forgetting cal-mag but will now add. I'm on day 13.

Latest posts

Top Bottom