Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower?

• Thread starter NYG140
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NYG140

This is my first grow ever, outdoors in continental climate. I grew three different strains from seed in 5 gallon fabric pots using Natures Living Soil. Vegetative went great. The plants started to flower naturally around 3 weeks ago.

Since then, I have noticed a yellowing of leaves in the lower undergrowth of a single plant (the leaves eventually fell off). Thinking this was a nitrogen deficiency I top dressed each plant with 2 tablespoons of Natures Living Soil about one week into flower, two weeks ago. However, the leaves are still yellowing and falling off. I did not trim anything under growth during the plants life cycle.

I'm wondering if someone with more experience could let me know if they think this is part of the normal flowering process of the plant? These leaves are in the lower 3rd and do not receive much light. Or if they look more like a nutrient deficiency I need to address?

One plant is worse than the others but they all seem to be doing it now and progressing, please see attached pictures. One is the amount of leaves I have lost from all three plants in the past week.

Would appreciate any help or guidance!

Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower
Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower 2
Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower 3
Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower 4
Is this amount of leaf drop normal for outdoor plants in 3rd week of flower 5
mancorn

mancorn

I’d guess a couple tablespoons isn’t very much. Not familiar with Natures Living Soil, but think it’s more microorganisms than fertilizer. If you use an organic like DTE Feather Meal (12-0-0) it suggest 1-2 Tbsp per gal each month. So 5-10 tbsp of just nitrogen for each of your pots every month. Not sure how NLS could concentrate down their organic mix into a higher concentration, so I’d think you’re drastically underfed. If you’re coming from synthetic ferts it’s sometimes a little hard to get your head around using cups of fertilizer in organics, compared to the teaspoons in synthetics. And because it takes time for the organics to break down, it can be weeks to months for it to become plant available. Then add on that during the transition into flower, your plant needs a big boost of N.

All that said - follow the instructions! (as mentioned, I don’t know diddle about NLS) and it’s not hair on fire that you’re losing the lower fan leaves, but they look like they could use additional feeding.

N

NYG140

Thanks for the info! I gave a top dressing of super soil to hopefully add a few nutrients in the soil but the majority of the plant looks healthy so I'm going to let it be. Thanks!

Top Bottom