Is This Bud Rot, Or What?

• Thread starter TeterPosh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TeterPosh

This is from one branch on one plant from a group of six plants under the same light, and everything else looks fine.

On the outside there isn't much evidence other than some brown leaves, but once it was cut open there is tons of brown.

I've never seen this happen before
Is this bud rot or what 2
Is this bud rot or what

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

I'm a noob but I delt with lots of it on my first grow here in the humid nw
Sure does look like it
From my understanding it usually starts at the calyx as they fill up with moisture and have a hard time drying out

Some wine connoisseurs prefer a small amount of botrytis in their grapes
I'd throw that shit out though

H

happy b

A bud full of rot is like a rotten banana . looks ok on the outside but pure mush on the inside . It's a common problem in my grow room when I'm growing big heavy dense buds . just cut that shit away and the rest will be fine.

T

TeterPosh

Right on. That sucks. But thanks for the help.

What caused it?

How do you prevent it?

And detect it sooner?

What can be done once it's detected?

What is it, a mold or fungus, or what? In what way is it dangerous, specifically?

(Not that I want to smoke it, I just want to know what it actually is and why.)

FWIW - The room never got higher than 79% rh and averaged about 65% rh, and the room temp never got above 85*. These are in straight Coir, fed once a week, watered every other day in between, always 25% DTW, and ph is always in check between 5.8-6.2.

Only seems to affect a few top kolas, just the biggest densest top bud, and an adjacent bud or two in a few cases, and we now see it's on about 6 plants of 32. Ruined some otherwise beautiful tops of really nice strains.

We need to stop this from happening again...

Thanks for your assistance.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

Like I said it's called botrytis and I believe it's a fungus.
It loves your high RH
Google it

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Just my best guesses,
What caused it?
High RH in your largest buds. Room with too high RH? Foliar spray late in flower? Large temp drop when your lights turn off causing high RH?
How do you prevent it?
If you find the answer, spread it around, lol. Keep your RH around 40% late in flower.
And detect it sooner?
First sign is your largest buds dropping a leaf and the leaf turning brown. This is due to the stem where the leaf grows is dying. Once this happens you will have to cut out all the mold, and the surrounding bud from that mold. Me personally, I cut the whole nug from a nod or two below the mold. Anything that isn't moldy is just a early harvest.
Cut and dump. Drop your RH in the room to prevent further damage. Once started that late in flower your in trouble.
What is it, a mold or fungus, or what? In what way is it dangerous, specifically?
botrytis - From Wiki
Botrytis cinerea ("botrytis" from Ancient Greekbotrys (βότρυς) meaning "grapes"[1] plus the Neolatin suffix -itis for disease) is a necrotrophicfungus that affects many plant species, although its most notable hosts may be wine grapes. In viticulture, it is commonly known as botrytis bunch rot; in horticulture, it is usually called grey mould or gray mold.

FWIW - The room never got higher than 79% rh and averaged about 65% rh, and the room temp never got above 85*. These are in straight Coir, fed once a week, watered every other day in between, always 25% DTW, and ph is always in check between 5.8-6.2.

Only seems to affect a few top kolas, just the biggest densest top bud, and an adjacent bud or two in a few cases, and we now see it's on about 6 plants of 32. Ruined some otherwise beautiful tops of really nice strains.

Another thing to keep in mind is the higher the temps, the more water the air holds. This is especially something to note when the lights turn off. If your temps are 85 durning the day and drop to 60 at night, you will have a fair amount of moisture or RH at that point. Hope this helps, good luck.

Shamus

Shamus

Temperature swings from night to day can be a factor, too dense of buds, low airflow, dense foliage umm,.. There's more I'm Sure but those are the main causes

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

What caused it?

How do you prevent it?

And detect it sooner?

Do you have small white moths? I lose some top colas to rot almost every year, and I ALWAYS find "polillos" (frass) inside. Caused by a bugular caterpillar, IMO.
Preventative is to alternate use of spinosad and Bt spray, every week or two. If you're concerned that it's the RH, then start inspecting more closely as the buds thicken up and have some isopropyl alcohol on hand to treat surrounding areas after cutting out the rotting bits.

Btw, mold=fungus.

william76

william76

Tryn drop ur rh down to 50 after the 4th week of flower don't leave them in standing water at lights out,theres also a product has a few names{budrot stop in uk}which is bacillus subilis,its a preventative,used weekly it prevents budrot,its quite good,76

T

TeterPosh

Excellent, thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure it's temp/rh related, vs caterpillars, with temp swings of about 20* and rh swings of more than 30%, combined with the highs of each being what they are. It's the first time it's happened, so that's a little strange, but there are a few new strains, so...

Separately, or maybe it's related - I don't know, and this isn't my grow, but what the hell is this white-ish stuff - which is firm like the bud itself, and only appears on the tops of a few colas closest to the lights?

IMAG0859

IMAG0862

T

TeterPosh

They're 1000w HPS hoods, 8" A/C, but yeah - up until a week ago they were running the lights too close I think (about 12"). Now they're at 18-24".

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Excellent, thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure it's temp/rh related, vs caterpillars, with temp swings of about 20* and rh swings of more than 30%, combined with the highs of each being what they are. It's the first time it's happened, so that's a little strange, but there are a few new strains, so...

Separately, or maybe it's related - I don't know, and this isn't my grow, but what the hell is this white-ish stuff - which is firm like the bud itself, and only appears on the tops of a few colas closest to the lights?

View attachment 489333

View attachment 489332
That's light bleaching in my opinion.

Top Bottom