Is this bud rot?

• Thread starter peppertopper
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
peppertopper

peppertopper

Hey first time grower here. Ive been having the ends of my bud hairs looking like they are dieing and shriveling. It doesnt seem to be mold and it isnt getting burnt from the light since there is buds close and far that are turning. I am having deficiency looks to be calcium since the leaves arent good and i didnt fertilize properly at the start or i think i made the water to acidic since i just got my ph pen. The plant that the leaves look ok this problem is just starting. I also did just start using a dehumidifier.

Is this bud rot
Is this bud rot 2
Is this bud rot 3
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Shouldnt be, and doesnt look like it.

But rot will usually present when you notice the small leaves growing out of the bud turn brown and they will pull out of the bud with very little effort, like they're not even attached.

Also usually doesnt happen until the last few weeks of flower.

Do you have good ventilation and humidity is under control? If so I'd guess they are just damaged from manhandling or getting bumped.

But.. Judging from the crusty look of some fan leaves in the background I'd also be suspicious... Take a look for nanners or male pollen sacs. Stressed plants can hermie, and when a stigma/hair is pollinated it turns brown like that. The plant with ok leaves is certainly showing signs of Ca-.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey first time grower here. Ive been having the ends of my bud hairs looking like they are dieing and shriveling. It doesnt seem to be mold and it isnt getting burnt from the light since there is buds close and far that are turning. I am having deficiency looks to be calcium since the leaves arent good and i didnt fertilize properly at the start or i think i made the water to acidic since i just got my ph pen. The plant that the leaves look ok this problem is just starting. I also did just start using a dehumidifier.
Possibly a nutrient deficiency; what are you feeding?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks to me like rust.

Google cannabis rust. It's a fungus.

Damn, good call. Totally looks like rust, especially the leaf in the last pic I mistook for calcium spotting. Rust would explain all the signs you're seeing. You could try a copper spray or sulphur vaporizer. Copper would probably be more effective at this stage but I'm leery about spraying on buds.

BigCube

BigCube

Rust is basically terminal. It's hard to actually get rid of, but it can be managed sometimes. Hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like 🙁

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am only seeing forum links when searching for cannabis rust. Anyone got any more info. I never heard of it.

peppertopper

peppertopper

Thank you everyone for the advise. Im growing it in a shed outside so i have good ventilation but didnt have a dehumidifier till 2 days ago and we have had lots of rain so humidity has been high many times. This is the first time i grew anything so i started with 11 plants but i did stress them, in there veg state and when i went to flower 6 of them hermied. But the rest were all female. This has been a good learning experience, i am loving growing.

It looks like it can be rust. The one plant didnt have much brown hairs on it and leaves are pretty good so i killed the rest just so at least i can save 1. The one plant i saved most of the brown hairs where on the inital hairs that sprout where the sex organs are and wasnt so much on the buds themselves. Ill post a pic of the hairs im talking about, its a old pic from there veg state but its those hairs that turned brown. I circled them

20190714 181110
peppertopper

peppertopper

I did cut a bit of buds and branches off the one plant i saved. does trimming a plant 2 weeks away from harvest stress it lots? Will it have an impact?

peppertopper

peppertopper

For fertilizer im using Bontanicare bloom and cal mag. But didnt start till 1 week into flower and when i started i was scared to over fertilize so first week i did 25%, week 2 50% and then week 3 full recommended fertilizer based on there chart they recommend.

Screenshot 20190714 181758 Drive
OldManRiver

OldManRiver

For fertilizer im using Bontanicare bloom and cal mag. But didnt start till 1 week into flower and when i started i was scared to over fertilize so first week i did 25%, week 2 50% and then week 3 full recommended fertilizer based on there chart they recommend.
FWIW, I use just Botanicare Pro veg and bloom, nothing else. You don't need the other shit. I also mix at 60% of the indicated strength there. I feed that once a week.

IMG 20190714 161310
IMG 20190714 161316
peppertopper

peppertopper

Ok thanks for the info. Do you do 60% strength for the veg fertilizer also?

peppertopper

peppertopper

Just an update i figured out what was going on with the rust on leaves. I put my fertilizer in smaller jars to make it easier to measure well the jars lids started rusting so my fertilizer had rust in it sadly i didnt connect the two right away. Face palm oops.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Just an update i figured out what was going on with the rust on leaves. I put my fertilizer in smaller jars to make it easier to measure well the jars lids started rusting so my fertilizer had rust in it sadly i didnt connect the two right away. Face palm oops.
Wait; Rust that may or may or may not have fallen in what you're feeding isn't going to show up on your buds, plant rust is a fungus.

Someone already mentioned copper or sulfur burning, I use both but copper works better than the sulfur imo, you might want to check the link that big Cube posted to find out what you're dealing with good luck

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Rust is basically terminal. It's hard to actually get rid of, but it can be managed sometimes. Hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like 🙁

Phylos will save us. They are breeding for old enzyme genes that digest fungals and enzymes that produce the classic "naughty" flavors (skunk, dog shit etc) They set everyone down the terpene trail to get a head start for themselves. They are profiling Cannabis by fatty acid content and fatty acid desaturase genes, not terpenes or pedigree.

Top Bottom