is this done?

• Thread starter kfuller802vt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kfuller802vt

damn it smells frickin delicious by the way.
also when i first noticed sogns of foxtailing growth and upturned leaf margins, thats when i started to reduce light levels in order to prevent foxtailing as much as possible and finish the plant off. in my previous grows i have almost always had foxtailing and dodnt know what to do, which led to confusing end of life practices to finish my plants. the weed always came out good, but i never felt they finished as well as they should have. also i feel like the heat from the lights at end of life caused less smell, this girl is stankyyyy

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i just cut a flower off to check.
The trichomes are definitely all cloudy and on a closer inspection off the plant i can see maybe 5% amber trichomes. if my main goal is 10-20% amber shouldnt i cut now because the trichomes will get to 10-20 amber during curing rather than cutting down at 10-20% amber then curing to more of a 30-40% amber during cure?
I don't get that technical. It's personal preference. When all milky there is usually some amber that's when I chop....some do earlier and some do later

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If its truely all cloudy trichs then yeah I'd probably chop, but also a good rule of thumb is when you think they're done, give them another 5-7 days anyway.

I've convinced myself a couple times that the plants were done and and chopped them, only to realize halfway through the trim that I was being hasty. Look at the whole plant and not just the tops.

K

kfuller802vt

If its truely all cloudy trichs then yeah I'd probably chop, but also a good rule of thumb is when you think they're done, give them another 5-7 days anyway.

I've convinced myself a couple times that the plants were done and and chopped them, only to realize halfway through the trim that I was being hasty. Look at the whole plant and not just the tops.

I thought the plant was done last week and I waited till now. Today is my weighted week from when I thought it was actually done Yes I have done the same thing that you are saying noticeably on the last plant that I was asking about a few months ago I just picked a small flower off of the bottom most part of the plant and I was scoping the bottom but of that and it’s looking 15% clear 85% cloudy on the bottom most bud on the top part of that same flower it’s pretty much all cloudy with a few amber here in there I can see I was not able to get this close of the look of the bud because it was in the middle of the plant I just smoked One hit off of the bud I picked one week ago and I am definitely high right now

FourthCity

FourthCity

my lighting is 3500k with added 2700k (hlg 260 rspec) with an added led bar of orange, red, far red, IR, and uva. is there something wrong with that spectrum?
Nothing wrong with the lights, maybe it would amber quicker under an hps but maybe it would also have smaller less potent buds, each strain has slightly different needs and its hard for anyone to tell exactly what they are without a lot of experience growing it. The trichs are just one way to judge the ripeness of the plant and its best to take a kind of average of all the available factors. You have flowered for a reasonable amount of time, the buds are swollen, trich coverage looks good, and pistols are no longer white and straight, you even have some amber, so taken as a whole the signs point overwhelmingly to the plant being ready for harvest.

K

kfuller802vt

i chopped her today. i gabe her 48 hours of darness beforehand. now to dry 1. i will hang in tent with humidity controller set t0 turn on ehanust fan everytime humidity gets to 50%. after a few days or so after the leaves curl down i will cut them into smaller buds and brown bag them. after the brown bag gets them to jar ready i will trim the individual nugs and then put them into a turket bag with a hygrometer inside. once the hygrometer reads 62% ( with a daily burp or two) then i put into jars. i use turkey bags because they are more forgiving in that last few % or RH that will cause mildew smells if put into a jar too early

K

kfuller802vt

some of the last pics i took amd pics of plant hanging amd also a small bud i air dried to smoke as
a tester. the samepl is good im stoned alot stuff is pretty good.

BC5E5B45 3DDF 4E73 A54E 31362741ACB8
95B175CF D099 461D 8243 99DF12E353C2
2437B2FD 9165 4561 A3D7 234785B8B53F
7C392C1E 433D 42B2 AAF2 54CD97E9F8C9
FourthCity

FourthCity

i chopped her today. i gabe her 48 hours of darness beforehand. now to dry 1. i will hang in tent with humidity controller set t0 turn on ehanust fan everytime humidity gets to 50%. after a few days or so after the leaves curl down i will cut them into smaller buds and brown bag them. after the brown bag gets them to jar ready i will trim the individual nugs and then put them into a turket bag with a hygrometer inside. once the hygrometer reads 62% ( with a daily burp or two) then i put into jars. i use turkey bags because they are more forgiving in that last few % or RH that will cause mildew smells if put into a jar too early
I've pretty much been using that same method for years only without the turkey bag. Just recently I started skipping the brown bag step too and have been jarring the the buds untrimmed with the hygrometer on the bottom. I don't put the lid on until the humidity drops below 62% and from there it stays on unless the humidity goes over 64% or I'm doing a daily burp. I noticed this provided a little better flavor for me and made the process a little easier too. I might also be hanging my plants a little longer before trimming the buds off the stems, usually I wait until the outer leaves start to feel crinkly and the stems are more snappy then bendy. Those buds look pretty top shelf, nice work!

K

kfuller802vt

i will post a final weight once the buds are broken off the main stems and trimmed. im using approx 220 watts of led so i am shooting for around 200-220 grams fully dried. last plant i grew in this same tent with a 3000k hlg260 yielded 228 grams total dried, so am interested to see what this plant yields with the rspec. this grow did go almost 99.9998 perfect so we will see. i do know the hlgs grow rock hard buds, the flowers are deceivingly heavy.
as soon as i can remove the buds out of the tent and inti bags i alrrady have this plants clone ready to go back and flowe as soon as this space opens in thw tent

K

kfuller802vt

I've pretty much been using that same method for years only without the turkey bag. Just recently I started skipping the brown bag step too and have been jarring the the buds untrimmed with the hygrometer on the bottom. I don't put the lid on until the humidity drops below 62% and from there it stays on unless the humidity goes over 64% or I'm doing a daily burp. I noticed this provided a little better flavor for me and made the process a little easier too. I might also be hanging my plants a little longer before trimming the buds off the stems, usually I wait until the outer leaves start to feel crinkly and the stems are more snappy then bendy. Those buds look pretty top shelf, nice work!

that is cool. i just went through trial and error every harvest until i found somethjng that worked for me. i have read somewhere that you can just go straight to brown bag from the start but i always hang until the leaves curl down to protect the buds, thats when i brown bag it, i dont wait until the stem snaps, i want it to reach the stem snap in the brown bag. and thats part of the reason i stopped wet trimming, i need the leaves curling around the flowers to give me a signal they are ready to bag, the second signal i see is brown bag stem snap, then dry trim to turkey bag with the caliber hygrometer. i keep it in a cabinet that is very cold in the dark during this part. i burp once or twice a day to check the smell. after a couple days once it gets to 62% rh i put in quart jars and boom all good to go. i feel like the cold air in the turkey bags during that part brings out the smell, but maybe its just me. the last few harvests i have done like this has been 1 gram stink up your neighbors house type of bud

FourthCity

FourthCity

that is cool. i just went through trial and error every harvest until i found somethjng that worked for me. i have read somewhere that you can just go straight to brown bag from the start but i always hang until the leaves curl down to protect the buds, thats when i brown bag it, i dont wait until the stem snaps, i want it to reach the stem snap in the brown bag. and thats part of the reason i stopped wet trimming, i need the leaves curling around the flowers to give me a signal they are ready to bag, the second signal i see is brown bag stem snap, then dry trim to turkey bag with the caliber hygrometer. i keep it in a cabinet that is very cold in the dark during this part. i burp once or twice a day to check the smell. after a couple days once it gets to 62% rh i put in quart jars and boom all good to go. i feel like the cold air in the turkey bags during that part brings out the smell, but maybe its just me. the last few harvests i have done like this has been 1 gram stink up your neighbors house type of bud
I don't like wet trimming either, too hard to keep the scissors clean, can never trim as close as when they are dry, and the buds always dry too quickly to maintain their flavor.

K

kfuller802vt

I don't like wet trimming either, too hard to keep the scissors clean, can never trim as close as when they are dry, and the buds always dry too quickly to maintain their flavor.
yes the first couple harvests when i first started growing i wet trimmed. and then lost the smell and had to “try to bring it back” with a cure. not happening. the outer bus would dry to a criap while the inside would be dry. now instead the leaf is the outer layer that dries while leaving the bud nice and evenly dry perfect even during low humidity winter i get a great smell. i have learned it isnt about how long the dry takes, its about not allowing the outer layer of the bud to dry completely, leaving the leaves allows that to not happen

Latest posts

Top Bottom