Is this normal should i be worried?

• Thread starter Anon1101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Anon1101

Hello i recently got 2 clone plants, transplanted them in to pots with new soil one is a lighter green than the other, i was wondering if i should be worried? It dosent appear to be wilting but a few leaves on the bottom had white marks on the bottom and fell off.
The light green one:
Is this normal should i be worried
Is this normal should i be worried 2

And the darker green one;

Is this normal should i be worried 3

A

Anon1101

No feeding, using a 75 watt led pannel. 18/6 in veg stage. I only water when i can stick my finger an inch in and its dry.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

No feeding, using a 75 watt led pannel. 18/6 in veg stage. I only water when i can stick my finger an inch in and its dry.
soil coco hydro what up,looks like some kind of soil but then i can see were you put the cup in at transplant,were they in coco,soil like ocean forest you can get away with at least 3 weeks of no feeding,coco every day,clone is a bit difrent than seed as far as feeding goes,id say your ready for feed at 1/4 strength,dont matter what kind you use start at a 1/4 strength of recommendation and work your way up also sticking your finger in there can be misleading,lean your pots instead and feel the weight,better method for new growers,take same size pot fill with your soil mix,while dry,lean the pot towards you,feel that difrence,then wet the pot as if your feeding feel that weight

A

Anon1101

Yeah they're in some sort of rock wool. I transplanted them in to good soil. So you're saying i should start feed? I thought with the new soil wold be fine for a while?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah they're in some sort of rock wool. I transplanted them in to good soil. So you're saying i should start feed? I thought with the new soil wold be fine for a while?
You might be right, but if you've just transplanted them into that new soil it's going to take a little while to see if it greens up?

A

Anon1101

I used this soil:

I just put a 1/4 strength jacks 20-20-20 nutrients on it so i'll observerve and go from there. When i transplanted it it only had 2 leaves so it's grown alot. I think it's been that color since i started so i think maybe it just needed nutrients.

az2000

az2000

I used this soil:

I just put a 1/4 strength jacks 20-20-20 nutrients on it so i'll observe and go from there. When i transplanted it it only had 2 leaves so it's grown alot. I think it's been that color since i started so i think maybe it just needed nutrients.

Interesting! It contains: "Recycled forest products, coir, perlite, dehydrated chicken manure, composted chicken manure, hydrolyzed feather meal, peat moss, kelp meal, worm castings, bat guano." And, a 0.30-0.10-0.10 NPK.

I use Kellogg Patio Plus as part of my very light soil. I've seen the "Raised Bed" product, but never looked at it closely. Now that you caused me to look at it, maybe I'll try it sometime -- instead of Patio Plus (which is a little woody. I've always felt it wasn't the right texture. But, it works! At least, the way I combine 22% with 56% Pro-Mix HP, and 22% more perlite. I never have a reason to "fix it." But, I should try the Raised Bed product once.).

FWIW: I'm growing two plants in Kellogg Palm & Cactus mix to see what happens. (Not terribly thrilled with it yet. But, maybe it will work out.).

Anyway, I would be concerned with the soil's 0.30-0.10-0.10. That seems strong. It might be ok by itself. But, now that you fed some quarter-strength Jack's Classic 20-20-20, you want to be be careful about feeding what might already be a strong soil.

How much Jack's Classic did you use per gallon? If you have a gram scale, can you weigh it? If I knew how much you used by weight, I could tell you how many PPMs you used. (Or, maybe you measured the ppms of the water, and then the resulting nutrient mix?). I think that's going to be your risk. The soil sounds like it should feed for awhile. I wouldn't add food unless this quarter-strength improves things (Even then, go slow.).

In the photos: it looks like the soil is unevenly wet. Like, you watered lightly around the stalk? You want the soil to be uniformly saturated, and let it dry significantly. If you don't get it uniformly wet, there can be dry spots. Also, you might keep one part of the soil too wet. Then you get mixed signals in the plant's condition. It's better to water around the perimeter. If you water [slowly] for 10% runoff (of the volume you pour), that will help assure uniform saturation. Then be sure to let it dry significantly. You don't want to treat it like a houseplant and give it a little water every day. Let it go through a good wet/dry cycle.

I've never tried to use Kellogg Patio Plus to grow in. It seems heavy/dense (slow drying). @Sammeysosa was growing one recently, and it sounded like he was keeping it too wet. (Haven't heard from him in awhile. Tagging him so he's aware of another Kellogg grow.). Your "Raised Bed" doesn't look like Patio Plus at all. In fact, it looks more like what I've tried to create using the three things mentioned above. Hopefully it dries quickly. You just want to make sure it all gets *very* wet.

A

Anon1101

i put quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water(where a full teaspoon to a gal should be full strength) and poured a small pour in each as i didn't want to put too much, then add a bit more water over it to flush it a bit. ill deff water it more thoroughly from now on. Should i flush the fertilizer or should i wait and see what happens?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

i put quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water and poured a small pour in each as i didn't want to put too much, then add a bit more water over it to flush it a bit. ill deff water it more thoroughly from now on. Should i flush the fertilizer or should i wait and see what happens?
You should leave it alone, it's fine. See what it does before you start changing anything, let it do what it's going to do for a minute.

az2000

az2000

i put quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water(where a full teaspoon to a gal should be full strength) and poured a small pour in each as i didn't want to put too much, then add a bit more water over it to flush it a bit. ill deff water it more thoroughly from now on. Should i flush the fertilizer or should i wait and see what happens?

Assuming Jack's weighs about as much as two dry (MiracleGro) products I have (1 tsp weighs 3.5g). You fed 1/4 tsp/gal (0.88g). That's 110-140ppm (somewhere in between.).

All you can do now is wait and see. Some soils can be pre-loaded with fertiizer and be safe to use. But, then people start feeding (too soon), and cause burn. (Or it runs out of gas before the end, and people don't realize they're supposed to start feeding.).

Right now, I think it will be confusing if the plant improves. It might have improved anyway without the feeding (with more uniform watering). The soil's nutrient level makes me think you shouldn't feed anymore for awhile. Even if it looks like the 1/4-strength helped, you won't know for sure. It would be safer to feed water the next two times, and re-visit the topic.

Also, in the photos I see what looks like a saucer full of runoff. You should be getting 10% runoff. But, also, the plants shouldn't sit in the runoff. It can drown the roots, keep the soil too wet (wicking back up into the soil). Often you want the runoff the purge unused salts (that's more of a thing if you were feeding it every watering). If the runoff wicks back into the soil, you'd never get rid of those flushed out salts. (I saw a guy having problems, and it turned out he was pouring his runoff back into the top of the soil. He thought it was good water. But, it caused the plant problems.).

az2000

az2000

Also, I think I see a seedling in a clear plastic cup (bottom of a coke bottle). You should tape around the outside to block the light. The roots will begin making chlorophyll when they reach light, or something bad happens anyway. (There should be drain holes in the bottom too.).

A

Anon1101

Thanks for the tips, ill wait and see. I usually drain the runoffs, i pour it off better, thought it was drained. The coke cans are failed experiments of apple trees i tried to root lol. Thanks for letting me know about thr roots being affected by the light! Thats prob why they didnt root. And the other seedlings are peppers.

Last edited:
A

Anon1101

update, i waited it out and it turns out to be a a potassium deficiency. After feeding the top growth looks good. Thanks for the help! i just need to be more patient and look for signs.

Top Bottom