• Thread starter HighBuddha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Is it ready?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HighBuddha

HighBuddha

First time grower here. I'm 3 days away from hitting 8 weeks since 12/12 and I can't tell how ripe my buds are. I have a 30x loupe but it's hard for me tell if the trichomes are clear or cloudy. At this point I'm just hoping I can differentiate cloudy-amber better then I can clear-cloudy. Sorry about the random cat hair I couldn't see them until I looked at the pics.
20201116 145248
20201116 145420
20201116 150026
20201116 150008
20201116 144744
20201116 150034
20201116 144728
20201116 145248
20201116 145252
20201114 150530

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Beautiful flowers but still no amber trichomes on calyxes but I see some on the sugar leaves meaning you're really close.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
all bud ripens as it dries. and for the record when a trichome turns amber is has already started to degrade and lose peak potency.
From the studies I've read, thc levels only start to go down once 80% of the heads of all trichomes turn amber (not 8/10 trichomes, 80% of each trichome head)

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Super frosty flowers but I don't see many amber heads. True they will continue to mature slightly as they hang dry. The milky to amber is a visual representation of the THCa turning into CBNa.

To determine when to harvest, you will want to look at the trichomes on the buds. You are looking at the color of the round head of the trichome. General rule of thumb is to harvest when you have 10% amber, 80% milky and 10% clear trichome heads. After a few harvests, you may find your own preference.

The amber heads are reported to have more of a sedative, body effect. The clear heads have been reported as being more cerebral and energetic high. Either way, you'll want the majority to be milky. These effects can be attributed to the maturation process of cannabinoids within the trichome heads.

Do be sure to check the buds and not the leaves. Trichomes on the leaves will mature faster than the buds, so they aren't the most accurate ripeness indicator you can use. However, they can be a good visual indicator as to when you might need to begin your flush if you choose to do so.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i like it when the trichomes turns 'plastic'. very impressed with your first grow.

you could partly harvest some now, rest later. when in doubt, wait a little longer.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Super frosty flowers but I don't see many amber heads. True they will continue to mature slightly as they hang dry. The milky to amber is a visual representation of the THCa turning into CBNa.

To determine when to harvest, you will want to look at the trichomes on the buds. You are looking at the color of the round head of the trichome. General rule of thumb is to harvest when you have 10% amber, 80% milky and 10% clear trichome heads. After a few harvests, you may find your own preference.

The amber heads are reported to have more of a sedative, body effect. The clear heads have been reported as being more cerebral and energetic high. Either way, you'll want the majority to be milky. These effects can be attributed to the maturation process of cannabinoids within the trichome heads.

Do be sure to check the buds and not the leaves. Trichomes on the leaves will mature faster than the buds, so they aren't the most accurate ripeness indicator you can use. However, they can be a good visual indicator as to when you might need to begin your flush if you choose to do so.
Follow this but one more thing to know is that THCa levels don't start to decrease until 80% of the individual head has turned amber so it's pretty hard to harvest too late.

Top Bottom