Is this something I need to worry about?

• Thread starter myko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

myko

hello I'm growing Moby dick autos in dwc hydro they are in a 27 gallon tote ..my sub is coco coir and perlite and I had a little hydroton so I mixed it in
I'm on day 17 ,I believe...I haven't had any major issues but yesterday I changed out my resevoir ph'd it, got good ppms , but today I noticed my ppms shot up from 1000 last night to 1500 today and just this one plant had spots on it...
I kind of wonder if when I was putting nutes in resevoir if I didn't splash onto the leaves of the plant because all the rest of the plants look great ...it looks like something splashed on it
...thanks

Is this something i need to worry about
Trixie

Trixie

It looks like you have a watering issue. If you are using tap water that could be the problem. If you are using RO you need to supplement your water with cal mag.

M

myko

It looks like you have a watering issue. If you are using tap water that could be the problem. If you are using RO you need to supplement your water with cal mag.

thanks for the comment... I feel a little embarassed to say that i was wrong the tote that the leaves are spotted is not the tote i changed the resevoir in i got the 2 confused the leaves just happened to get those spots the day after i changes the resevoir in my other tote which is in a whole other grow room so im pretty sure they are unrelated .....
I used tap water that set for 3 days with bubbler running in it ...ph: 7.3 ...ppm 300
I've struggled with high ppm since I began feeding (I'm referring to the tote with the spotted leaves) ph has been somewhat stable between 5.6 and 5.9. I've scooped water out and dumped new in to get the ppms down which were over 2000 ...it's a 27 gal tote holding about 17 gal of water with 4 plants in it the other 3 plants look perfect all 4 plants have nice roots but yesterday I noticed one leaf on one plant had dead spots and now today 2 leaves about a week ago I started feeding including calmag I misread the label and put tbs instead of tsp of calmag ..didn't seem to have any noticeable effect on the plants but today a week later I have spots....current ppm 1200
ph 5.9

20230206 092957
20230206 093004
Trixie

Trixie

300 ppm water is hard and can cause problems later down the line. The cal mag mistake can take 3 to 15 days to show itself in the plant, which you are seeing now. If you use 300 ppm starting water with cal mag and nutrients over time, the hydroxyl content can get so high that it overrides the base nutrients. If you want to minimize the ppm of your tap water just mix a little rainwater or RO with it to lower the ppm to around 126 ppm or less.

Trixie

Trixie

In any substrate, if you use clean water the nutrient absorption will be highest if there are no impurities in the water. When there's a lot of unknown ppm in the water it gets in the way of other good nutrients. The receptor sites can be blocked by the high ppm or hard water content. CoCo coir, peat, hydro, and living soils perform much better when using clean water.

M

myko

In any substrate, if you use clean water the nutrient absorption will be highest if there are no impurities in the water. When there's a lot of unknown ppm in the water it gets in the way of other good nutrients. The receptor sites can be blocked by the high ppm or hard water content. CoCo coir, peat, hydro, and living soils perform much better when using clean water.

thanks for the comment...what do I do now ? take some of the water out and put clean (not tap water) in? do let the plant ride it out until the next reservoir change ( which will be in the next few days ) ?
Also this morning my water in the tote has 1400 ppms ...I've read alot of different sites different opinions of what the ppms should be ...I know 1400 is high for just the 3rd week ...where do you think it should be?
thank you

M

myko

I changed that resevoir out a couple days ago...this morning I noticed the spotted plant had a bit of a droop so I looked at the roots and its no good ...I'm pretty sure this is root rot...I've been struggling with temperature it averages about 82 but it got up to 90 the other day I think the lowest it gets is 77 during the nights
another cause could be: I put a thin layer of worm casings on a couple of the seedlings thar were struggling ( they are my 2 biggest plants now but they are also the ones with jacked up roots
and another cause : I started the seeds in root riot cubes and I see on a couple of the cubes a white growth like possibly mold
I don't really have anything to fight root rot( I ordered hydrogaurd this morning) so I diluted 3% h2o2 and sprayed the roots and put about 200ml of h2o2 in 17 gal of water
Is there some type of treatment I can do to my tap water (I know reverse osmosis is one way ) there's nothing I can put in my water? I'm assuming not or ppl would do that instead of ro...
these are not very good pics I didn't want to stress the plants anymore than they already are by bringing them out in light

20230208 082212
20230208 082158
Trixie

Trixie

thanks for the comment...what do I do now ? take some of the water out and put clean (not tap water) in? do let the plant ride it out until the next reservoir change ( which will be in the next few days ) ?
Also this morning my water in the tote has 1400 ppms ...I've read alot of different sites different opinions of what the ppms should be ...I know 1400 is high for just the 3rd week ...where do you think it should be?
thank you
You need to use RO water with DWC for the best results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom