Is this Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)?

• Thread starter OkieKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OkieKush

OkieKush

I have a young Afghan Kush plant that I started from seed that is showing signs that it has TMV. I've read in other posts that this could possibly be some other issue like PH problems. I don't use tobacco so, if it is TMV, I don't know how I got it. Should I get rid of the plant or see if it outgrows the issue?

Capturejpg
SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

Can you give more information on your grow please? Light used, nutes, pot size (looks small) and so on. The more info the better...

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have a young Afghan Kush plant that I started from seed that is showing signs that it has TMV. I've read in other posts that this could possibly be some other issue like PH problems. I don't use tobacco so, if it is TMV, I don't know how I got it. Should I get rid of the plant or see if it outgrows the issue?
More likely pH problems, are you feeding heavily already?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
As young as your plants are, I don't think it is TMV. I would check things like nutrient/PPM readings, type of medium and nutrients used, etc. The plants don't look too bad and Ph problems are easy to get as nutrients can acidify the growing medium if used excessivly. Young plants need very little nutrients and some don't deal well with high nutrient levels or Ph issues. Keep up the good work!

OkieKush

OkieKush

The plant is still in a small 6" pot filled with Sohum super soil. When I water the plant, I put 1/2 tsp of Recharge bennies in a gallon of water. The beneficial bacteria and fungi in the Recharge breaks down the raw components of the super soil into nutes the plant can take up. I currently have the plant in my 2x4 veg tent under Mars Hydro SP250. I have the PAR at 450 at the top of the plant.

I want to believe that it's NOT TMV! I really want it to be something it will outgrow and flourish. Based upon your responses, I think I'm going to keep the plant.

I'll post another picture of the plant in about a week to show it's condition.

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited:
jahjah

jahjah

I’ve had certain phenos of plants do this in the past and they turned out fine , sometimes better ; may just be in the genetics especially that hooked leaf trait

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I am not a doctor, but those mottling and curved leaves definitely share a lot of similarities. If it is not TMV, I would be surprised. Do you smoke cigarettes and then handle your plants? Although, it is not widely accepted that cannabis is able to contract TMV. It certainly looks like it to me though. Again, not a doctor. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

THCMonster

THCMonster

I very much doubt its TMV, but for the future if your worried about it just stop smoking cigs and handling your plants afterwards! Pure and simple! If you do that then you will never get TMV... I smoked cigs for 5 years while growing before i quit, but i never smoked that shit around my plant! And i washed my hands everytime after i smoked a cig!

OkieKush

OkieKush

I don't use any tobacco so if it is TMV, which I'm doubting now, I guess the virus could be carried in or on the seed. Here's an updated picture. It still has the curving happening but it seems to be less pronounced with the new growth. I agree with @jahjah that it may just be the genetics or just me not taking good enough care of the nutrients and PH like @Beachwalker and @Jimster suggested. It probably doesn't help that I'm terrible at watering small plants. I tend to over water them.

Capture2
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't use any tobacco so if it is TMV, which I'm doubting now, I guess the virus could be carried in or on the seed. Here's an updated picture. It still has the curving happening but it seems to be less pronounced with the new growth. I agree with @jahjah that it may just be the genetics or just me not taking good enough care of the nutrients and PH like @Beachwalker and @Jimster suggested. It probably doesn't help that I'm terrible at watering small plants. I tend to over water them.
If you having trouble watering small plants put it in a bigger pot, it's very difficult for noobs to water small containers properly

I am of the school that does not believe that TMJ affects cannabis, I believe it's pH bounce, nutrient related, excetera

Bkewlbro

Bkewlbro

Agreed, def ph is off and she's been getting over-watered. Since it looks like she's in a solo cup, nothing that a gallon of correct pH'd water getting ran thru it won't fix, then after that only water by feel. If it's as light as a feather, only add 1 shot glass(1floz) of water or nutes as a time, then only water when it feels light. Are you planning on finishing it out in a solo cup or are you planning to transplant into a 5 gallon? If you're planning on transplanting, it's probably time to correct the ph and get her transplanted.

Top Bottom