Is Worm Tea Really That Good???

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
For what its worth....... Found a write up. I wont offer any opinions, will just let all draw their own conclusions. Keep in mind I am a long time believer and user of tea. Thought this would spark some coversation and different takes on the matter.

Reason I posted is I have seen many recommendations everywhere about compost bin leachates.

This article has me wondering what the truth is. Are there any biologists out there that can verify or refute with data and sources to back their position up.

Get the thinking caps on boys and gurls. :)

http://www.sierra-worm-compost.com/worm-tea.html

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I haven't read the article but i love me some EWC anywhich way top dressing , soil amendments, tea even tea foliar

Fraktaal

Fraktaal

Just read the link, not a bad read brother. I found it interesting what they had to say on the compost leachates..I have always considered it good to use. I still would use it actually, the "potential" risks in using it aren't great enough for me to cease.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I hear ya there. Results with tea are pretty solid in my book. The anaerobic part was what concerns me as this would go against the beneficial aerobic colonies we want to create so in essence it would be like taking a step forward and then losing ground with anaerobic conditions. That is mainly why I threw it out as I'm not really sure but I do know good results when I see em and my gals loves their tea.

Any other thoughts either agree or disagree??

Peace

monkeymun

monkeymun

I've never had any problems using the leachate on my plants. You are not introducing anaerobic condition to your plants when using leachate - you are misunderstanding exactly what it means if that it what you are thinking - you are introducing products produced under anaerobic conditions. Not all anaerobes are harmful, but some are, or produce chemicals which are phytotoxic. It is this that people are concerned about. If you're introducing anaerobes to aerobic conditions, they will die, but any toxins they can produced will remain and potentially cause problems.

Making generalizations is only so useful. What microbes you have in your worm farm would be dependent on a variety of factors, not least what you put into it, and how you maintain/manage it. At the end of the day, you're certainly safer making a proper tea and using that than using leachate.

Top Bottom