Isn't 30% Of Worm-casting In Soil Too Much?

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibiking

Hi,
I mixed today my first soil, and according to what I read here I mixed
50% soil (with no furtilizer)
25% worm-casting
25% perlite

but I got the feeling that the worm-casting is too muddy for roots to breath in, no?
(at least my worm-casting feels like heavy soil, which holds water for long time)

did I put too much of it?
can I dry it before I mix it in the soil? (it say on the box "keep moist")

Thank you all great guys :)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
What type of soil? If its clay heavy soil than yeah 25% might make it too muddy. If its like peat or coco, than i don’t think it’ll cause problems.

If the box says keep moist, then keep it moist. Ewc is mostly loved and prefered for its microbial life that it brings to rhizosphere. So drying it will hurt those microbes and even kill them. It doesn’t need to be soaking wet, just has to have moisture in it.

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

You'll be fine. I always do 1:2 ewc to soil on top of amendments. I've been doing that for all my cycles since I started messing with soil mixes. The only down side is the price.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
30% is fine mixed with peat or coco. You wont need to feed as much nitrogen for the first few weeks though.

B

bibiking

You'll be fine. I always do 1:2 ewc to soil on top of amendments. I've been doing that for all my cycles since I started messing with soil mixes. The only down side is the price.

Thank you.
what do you mean price? I pay for a huge bag (10 Kilo) 10$.
it is more expensive than soil, but still very cheap.

maybe I bought the wrong thing? (I don't believe so)

can you send me a link to what you buy (which is expensive)?

thank you

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Thank you.
what do you mean price? I pay for a huge bag (10 Kilo) 10$.
it is more expensive than soil, but still very cheap.

maybe I bought the wrong thing? (I don't believe so)

can you send me a link to what you buy (which is expensive)?

thank you
You definitely got the right stuff. Ewc is like black gold for me. In my garden I use it for all my soil mixes and for AACT and I use it to top dress my veggies and succulents too. I brew aact teas for veg and flower about twice a week. I buy big worm by roots unless I feel like going out of the way, then I just go to the hydro store in the next town over and buy local from farmer brown cuz it's a bit cheaper. So I run out of it really quick which ends up being expensive.

You also gotta keep your eye out for vermicompost. The hydro stores often put them next to each other so watch and make sure you are getting castings and not vermicompost

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

WOW, what an advise!!! I only now undersatnd they don't even have real-casting in my stores. I will find it in the internet.
you really saved me :)

just to make sure, I need material that feels like coffee (and not like wet mud). am I right?
Yeah you are. Vermicompost is a mix of worm castings and organic material, that's why it feels like that.

Winter323

Winter323

Castings are considered to be the best compost to use and organic dudes are generally are trying to hit somewhere around 33/33/33 aeration/peatmoss/compost, take a look at @mountainorganics on instagram as he is usually hitting around that ratio and he says he uses castings for his compost. His new mix is actually more like 50% peat moss, 30% castings, 10% rock dust, 10% biochar though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom