Isomerization Of Cbd To Thc

• Thread starter MirrorZen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

I know this is old news for the chem heads, but I know it's still not being used by the large percentage. It will only get more popular. Isomerizing cbd to turn into thc. Here is a method I found. This is a scary future, being able to produce pounds for pennies on the dollar.
I did not write this up, this is cited from https://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/methods/000479001.html
hr.gif
Cannabidiol to THC - simple
(Rated as: excellent)

Cannabidiol (CBD), the main cannabinoid constituent of fibre hemp has been converted (isomerized) to delta-9 and delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol employing a variety of conditions.
Many of these procedures require chemicals that are hard to come by such as dichloromethane (DCM) and boron trifluoride etherate.
The following is a simple and fast procedure for the synthesis of delta-8- or delta-9-THC from CBD:

Dissolve 1g of CBD in 10ml 0.005molar H2SO4 in glacial acetic acid.
Let solution stand at room temperature.
After 3 hours CBD has been converted into 52% delta-9-THC and 2% delta-8-THC.
After 3 days a mixture of 15% delta-9-THC, 54% delta-8-THC, 10% delta-8-iso-THC and 10% CBD has formed.
Work up:
Pour into water (100ml or more) and add cautiously with stirring (foaming!) enough sodium bicarbonate (15g should do) to raise the pH above 7. Extract with petrol ether, wash with water, evaporate solvent to get mixture of starting CBD and predominantly delta-9- or delta-8-THC with some other byproducts depending on the reaction time.
Can chromatograph on silica gel with 1 to 2% ether in petrol ether for purification.

CBD can also be converted into delta-9-THC with anhydrous ZnCl2 at 150° without solvent (perform reaction best in vacuum as product is sensitive to oxidation):

Heat 0.5g CBD with 0.09g anhydrous ZnCl2 under vacuum with stirring.
After 2 hours 40 to 50% delta-9-THC have formed.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

That' a he'l of a lot of work to turn cbd to thc. I wonder if the same can be done with synthetic cbd

MirrorZen

MirrorZen

That' a he'l of a lot of work to turn cbd to thc. I wonder if the same can be done with synthetic cbd
Seems like a lot, I'm sure it's very do able on a large scale with much practice and large equipment. Already ppl killing it in Colorado making cbd isolate selling all over the states, I think maybe when the cbd oil craze is done or prices lowered due to competition is when these ppl will start converting to delta8 aka water clear. Some crazy alchemy for sure. Not sure if synthetic cbd can be turned to synthetic thc, that would be interesting for legality purposes.

Graywolf

Graywolf

We isomerized using sulfuric acid, but haven't continued to do so because most of the material that we work with is already high in THC and low in CBD, so not much gain.

We are actually growing strains specifically for the CBD that we use in topicals, or using CBD from Hemp.

Z

ZenChem

We isomerized using sulfuric acid, but haven't continued to do so because most of the material that we work with is already high in THC and low in CBD, so not much gain.

We are actually growing strains specifically for the CBD that we use in topicals, or using CBD from Hemp.

Z

ZenChem

I did this process in the mid-70's using 'ditch weed' hemp from Kansas. Back then the hemp grew wild all over the place and after getting burned buying it supposedly as bricked-up Mexican weed I realized I could extract the oils from the hemp and convert it over the THC. After some trial and error it worked marvelously. However, the resultant 'product' was too potent to sell as 'hash oil' because it was just too psychedelic. I ended up using several gallons of the oil to spray on greenhouse pot that was harvested too early due to a threatened inspection of the pot greenhouse by county tax assessors. It worked marvelously in that regard.
Now-a-days, I bet you could use the leaf from greenhouse grows and extract the cbd and convert it to thc. Way back then, I used homemade pure grain alcohol to extract the oils from the hemp. But anyway, the aforementioned procedure that I am posting about is nice because the chemicals are not on watch lists. But one time back in those days someone I knew took things a step further and converted my iso-thc to thc anhydride -- whoa! It was wildly psychedelic -- like thc lsd.

C

CBNight

Out of curiosity, how would you then isolate thc from the Zinc Chloride solution?

I know this is old news for the chem heads, but I know it's still not being used by the large percentage. It will only get more popular. Isomerizing cbd to turn into thc. Here is a method I found. This is a scary future, being able to produce pounds for pennies on the dollar.
I did not write this up, this is cited from https://chemistry.mdma.ch/hiveboard/methods/000479001.html
hr.gif

Cannabidiol (CBD), the main cannabinoid constituent of fibre hemp has been converted (isomerized) to delta-9 and delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol employing a variety of conditions.
Many of these procedures require chemicals that are hard to come by such as dichloromethane (DCM) and boron trifluoride etherate.
The following is a simple and fast procedure for the synthesis of delta-8- or delta-9-THC from CBD:

After 3 days a mixture of 15% delta-9-THC, 54% delta-8-THC, 10% delta-8-iso-THC and 10% CBD has formed.
Work up:
Pour into water (100ml or more) and add cautiously with stirring (foaming!) enough sodium bicarbonate (15g should do) to raise the pH above 7. Extract with petrol ether, wash with water, evaporate solvent to get mixture of starting CBD and predominantly delta-9- or delta-8-THC with some other byproducts depending on the reaction time.
Can chromatograph on silica gel with 1 to 2% ether in petrol ether for purification.

CBD can also be converted into delta-9-THC with anhydrous ZnCl2 at 150° without solvent (perform reaction best in vacuum as product is sensitive to oxidation):

therealAries

therealAries

hr.gif

Work up:

CBD converted to THC??? Thats not possible all conpounds are converted from CBGa Cannabigerolic Acid to either chemotypes (CBDa) or (THCa)

Bless up and keep on learnin' the facts are always helpful in keeping misinformation far away

The proposed cannabinoid biosynthetic pathway
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
We used to isomerize also with sulphuric acid in a reflux condenser. Doesnt seem worth the hassle anymore though as was mentioned, its just as easy for me to start with a high THC variety. But its neat science though.

JG420

JG420

This is nice and all but my question is never have smoked cbd buds or oil, does it taste like shit? I love weed in general, looking at it growing it turning it to oil and smoking it. I dont necessarily care about how "high" I get it's really more tgr experience smoking it and especially the taste. So above all b4 doing anything I'm curious to how cbd oil and bud smokes.

Z

ZenChem

This is nice and all but my question is never have smoked cbd buds or oil, does it taste like shit? I love weed in general, looking at it growing it turning it to oil and smoking it. I dont necessarily care about how "high" I get it's really more tgr experience smoking it and especially the taste. So above all b4 doing anything I'm curious to how cbd oil and bud smokes.

Z

ZenChem

When I made iso-thc back in the 70's I would add activated charcoal to the neutralized reacted solution to remove the green -- and filter it. Then I would filter it through calcium carbonate to strip out H2O. Next I would steam clean the oil to remove the 'terpene' oils and tastes-- filtering again through calcium carbonate. Mixing the oil with pet-ether would further separate it from H2O. Evaporating off the pet-ether and again filtering it throught calcium carbonate yielded a very dense and tasty reddish oil. But I'm talking about a gallon at a time production -- which made it worth it.
Back in the 70's we didn't have access to high THC buds like 'Hindu Kush' which didn't show up until about 1980 or so. And it got really difficult to smuggle hash oil from Nepal, Afghanistan or Lebanon. Makng it seemed like a good idea -- but the oil was just too trippy. One time I took a vial of oil to a party and passed it around in a glass pipe and it totally atom-bombed the party. People were freaking out. Not everyone was freaking out but I realized it wasn't for general mass consumption.

O

Okcreviews46

What about just distilling in acidic conditions to make delta 8. Activated carbon in short path.

Z

ZenChem

What about just distilling in acidic conditions to make delta 8. Activated carbon in short path.
You can look up any process online. I am sure there are newer easier processes for iso-thc since I was doing it the mid-70's. I had friends in the university chemistry department. Even the professor was in on the action. He would analyze the purity for me. He didn't want people being sickened by contaminated dope.
I used the sulphuric acid process. Even though I was using ditch weed extracted cbd fron Kansas, whatever I was doing made the end result too psychedelic for most folks. And a friend who worked as a chemist for the state highway department did the acetic anhydride process on the cbd-- now that stuff was off the charts psychedelic. Everything looked like Persian carpet patterns flowing into Afghan carpet patterns. You were totally 'couch locked' for hous and hours -- going with the flow. No hashish or Afghani oil even approached that level of tripping. Even though opiated Nepalese came close back in those days.
As someone mentioned on this board, the thc content these days is so high in buds that it's really just an interesting chemistry experiment do the iso-process. But back in my day, it was pushing thc to the limit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom