Issues with first grow. Whole thing doomed already?

• Thread starter nekkul
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nekkul

nekkul

All of those are possible. Drainage and proper watering is crucial. My mix is like 30 to 35% perlite and also has some natural tiny pebbles from outdoor soil and also contains some hydroton clay pebbles.

Do a test on ph with the dry chemical tests or a ph pen. Itll give you a better idea of whats goin on, if youre in the proper ph range then you can narrow it down and figure out whats wrong by checking ph or drainage or over watering off the list and see whats left as possible causes. The chem tests are cheap as hell. I use it and works fine.

Its better to under water, rather than over water. Keep that in mind. Proper watering practices are vital to a healthy plant.
Things I'll do next 👍
From the beginning I tried to be really careful to not overwater; amounts I've given have been far less than recommended by pot size etc. But theyre overwatered despite that, since soil ain't like it should ve been, should be more perlite and airyer. And I added holders under pots only few days ago, so they ve been against the floor /tent floor the whole time.
All that must ve caused issues for roots ability to take oxygen?
Learning doesnt feel nice but now I know how to do the soil adding next time.

nekkul

nekkul

Still needing backup figuring should I just chill down or should I press the panic button and immediatly burn my cabin & plants inside it.
Right now I won't be doing anything actual, pots arent dry enough. Today they have been a week without absolutely anything else but ph'd water. Though the amounts of nutes I've been giving has been close to nothing anyways.
Do they look bad to you? Photos added at page 3.
And one thing - Mimosa's strain info says that she likes to be fed more than average autoflower.
Maybe I've managed to starve her and make her loose her interest towards life.

TSD

TSD

They honestly don't look that bad in your last pics. I would just let them grow and work on learning good watering practices. I think a transplant would do more harm than good. It looks like you have a decent amount of perlite in the soil, is there that much all through it? Overwatering doesn't necessarily mean only the amount, watering small amounts too often can also lead to the same root zone symptoms as watering too much. You need to saturate the pot until runoff happens and then not touch it again until it is almost completely dry, all the way through. If you can't figure out when that is, there is the option of letting them go till they droop from being over dry, then you know the approximate time between watering, I have done this myself when I was unsure of the weight of the pot technique, as long as you catch it and don't let them wilt for long, it shouldn't cause too much stress on them. Some of the experts/moderators may say don't do that, if they say that, listen to them lol, I'm no expert. Having more than one plant a d of different strains in the same pot was definitely a bad idea because different strains and even different plants of the same strain can vmhave different needs. I still say you shouldn't transplant though, the roots are intermingled and tearing them apart now would be major stress... it's always best to avoid transplanting during flower too... even my annuals, I buy the ones in back that no one wants because they aren't in bloom yet, but they produce healthier and more prolifically than they would have had I chosen the ones already in bloom... at least in my experience.

nekkul

nekkul

They honestly don't look that bad in your last pics. I would just let them grow and work on learning good watering practices. I think a transplant would do more harm than good. It looks like you have a decent amount of perlite in the soil, is there that much all through it? Overwatering doesn't necessarily mean only the amount, watering small amounts too often can also lead to the same root zone symptoms as watering too much. You need to saturate the pot until runoff happens and then not touch it again until it is almost completely dry, all the way through. If you can't figure out when that is, there is the option of letting them go till they droop from being over dry, then you know the approximate time between watering, I have done this myself when I was unsure of the weight of the pot technique, as long as you catch it and don't let them wilt for long, it shouldn't cause too much stress on them. Some of the experts/moderators may say don't do that, if they say that, listen to them lol, I'm no expert. Having more than one plant a d of different strains in the same pot was definitely a bad idea because different strains and even different plants of the same strain can vmhave different needs. I still say you shouldn't transplant though, the roots are intermingled and tearing them apart now would be major stress... it's always best to avoid transplanting during flower too... even my annuals, I buy the ones in back that no one wants because they aren't in bloom yet, but they produce healthier and more prolifically than they would have had I chosen the ones already in bloom... at least in my experience.
The amount of perlite is the same everywhere in that soil.

The visible amount of perlite does exist through the whole soil. Maybe that has been the lifesaver for my plants!
I'm a bit less than halfay absorbing Aquaman's watering-bible. Perched water table... I had to read the first text few times till I began to get the picture.
My very first thought - since english synonymes are familiar to me only partly - was that he was talking about some furniture, watering desk type of thing.
You put my unclear vision in words with that describing of overwatering in your reply. Thats indeed what I feel has happened; they are overwatered, even though the amounts of water have been small & not given rly often either. Because, overwatering can be basically seen as synonym for lack of oxygen in roots, caused by water filling those air pockets the roots would otherwise take oxygen from?
And water has filled those airpockets because the amount of water given werent in line with the perched water table of that pot's medium. Right?
When I came home today, I immediatly noticed gorgeous odour, it's getting obviously stronger! I went to check the tent after reading your reply and felt nice relief, thinking you are correct with that advice to let them grow and water next only when theres no question about the need for it.
Because look what has happened there! They cannot be struggling really seriously since there was - in my scale - impressive new growth comparing yesterday!
This has multiple smaller flowers suddenly gotten hairy and much bigger!
IMG 20211120 005921 22

... there seen a bit closer
IMG 20211120 005921 23

And this main bud has new pistils, those pointing to the roof, below the top-ones.
IMG 20211120 005724 22

I need to hold my hand to give shadow gor the camera, otherwise takes blurry shots.
She's on wind, without the fan those small leaves and growth is pointing mainly upwards.
And this one! Got new bushy look and more pistils.
IMG 20211120 005933 82

All this small, bushy growth from main stem is a new thing! Tho surely it's been there earlier as earlier staged but I spotted it today.
I just need to tell myself to put my shit together if I'm getting nervous again about the potential defencies and feeling like I should do something to try to fix it asap.
They'll be fine after some days after being fed (though ofc only if fed correctly) and will likely recover from defencies, but if they arent allowed to put their underground-things in better order (to dry & take oxygen) and are watered too early now, it might cause issues too bad to even recover ?
Since there ain't emergency-state symptoms seen?
It's more complicated actually, but that's where my reasoning reaches so far ?
Btw, I took a look on your growings and felt speechless, you live in a total opposite type of climate comparing me, theres even no grass in here at summer and night-temperatures go below zero celcius first time during August. Sun can be seen only during next 11 days, then it'll be gone till January.
The silver lining is that theres not much risk for bugs or mold in my tent and if temperatures seem to be going too high someday, I can simply just open the window and watch them turn blueish & frosty during next minute 😆

IMG 20211120 005844 42
Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

I think you think it's worse than it is, they are growing so they can't be too stressed. It is crazy how fast the buds grow once they start. Aquaman knows his stuff for sure, he's more scientific than me though lol. And yes, you are correct in your interpretation, even though the amounts of water you were giving were small, it was too often, keeping the soil around the root ball constantly moist, not allowing the roots to get oxygen, and probably a lot of the soil was still dry, and the roots didn't branch out fully. When you harvest, pop the soil out and check how the roots look. If they are nice and white and moving around the container, you know they recovered and you have watering down. This was one of my girls at probably 6 weeks from seed, I slid her out to check the roots.
20210418 144156
Honestly it's the most common rookie mistake, watering takes a bit of time to get right. That was probably only part of your problem anyway, the training and such could have stressed them as well.
I would definitely need to have an indoor garden to survive in your climate, I would be depressed, I get depressed here by the 3rd month of winter. Usually January and February we have a good stretch of frigid weather, 20 below or more, so almost 30 below in Celsius, when the air hurts your face... I'm sure you know that feeling all too well. The leaves have only just fallen and I already miss the nice weather. I'm curious to know what country you are in... if you don't mind sharing. 😊

nekkul

nekkul

I think you think it's worse than it is, they are growing so they can't be too stressed. It is crazy how fast the buds grow once they start. Aquaman knows his stuff for sure, he's more scientific than me though lol. And yes, you are correct in your interpretation, even though the amounts of water you were giving were small, it was too often, keeping the soil around the root ball constantly moist, not allowing the roots to get oxygen, and probably a lot of the soil was still dry, and the roots didn't branch out fully. When you harvest, pop the soil out and check how the roots look. If they are nice and white and moving around the container, you know they recovered and you have watering down. This was one of my girls at probably 6 weeks from seed, I slid her out to check the roots.View attachment 1189905 Honestly it's the most common rookie mistake, watering takes a bit of time to get right. That was probably only part of your problem anyway, the training and such could have stressed them as well.
I would definitely need to have an indoor garden to survive in your climate, I would be depressed, I get depressed here by the 3rd month of winter. Usually January and February we have a good stretch of frigid weather, 20 below or more, so almost 30 below in Celsius, when the air hurts your face... I'm sure you know that feeling all too well. The leaves have only just fallen and I already miss the nice weather. I'm curious to know what country you are in... if you don't mind sharing. 😊
I made a note on my grow diary to check the roots when harvesting 👍
I've been having not-so-easy time when studying Aquamans things, due the terminology hes using. So it's been rather nice to get advices without need to use translater-app and more common sense-type of reasoning has helped to put this thing together in my brain. So, thank you very much for all your time spent helping me & my little girls 🌻🍀
Tho, I think I need to keep on posting and making these stereotypical rookie- questions when next issue comes to be handled.
I live on the area which is where is the northest spot of Skandic-mountains. So not many options about the country 🤭 My avatar is bit too recognizible for further information 🙈 horrible attitude against cannabis, from percpection of the law, in here!

Reactions: TSD
nekkul

nekkul

Hello again!

I thought I'd like to make some update about how we're doing today & maybe going to get opinions about current issues. Despite them, I've been doing better job after learning the bases of the art of watering!
So theres the ones I already posted about, going atm day 44, so week nbr seven has begun.
Some of them smell has begun to be intense. Trichomes are visible near the buds. Some stigmas are curled & tanned, but I think it's because the lamp was a bit too close. I lifted it higher about a week ago, actually I had to tear open the roof of the tent to do it.
They are still making new stigmas, so no reason to stare at the curled ones? I might've also been touching them accidentally.
One of the Mimosas has nute burn or heat stress caused damage on upper leaves?
IMG 20211201 153421 62
IMG 20211201 153327 62

Same plant in both photos^
Healthier Mimosas main bud:
IMG 20211201 153356 52

Norhern lights side bud:
IMG 20211201 153531 72

Royal AK's nice pistils:
IMG 20211201 153937 82

I know those pics wont give you enough information. I'll shut the hps off this evening and take whole-plant photos. Especially I'd need to get advice about Royal AK's hypotethical chlorosis.
But guess who are doing rather well? They havent been suffering from my rookiness as badly. Thought another has symptoms of overwatering and leaves curled a bit from the sides, caused by the lamp which was too close. Or do you think it's most likely caused by the heat?
I topped another and FIMmed another, when they were 20 days old. Today they are 30 days old. Amount of nutes has been nearly zero, i've been adding just a few DROPS of organic fertilizer in their water, 3 times total, since I count their first blooming fertilizer there too - it was given 2 days ago, but not sure if it should even be mentioned since the dose was barely anything.
This is the fimmed one:
IMG 20211201 152928 73

IMG 20211201 153008 62

IMG 20211201 152913 92

IMG 20211201 153037 22

Zero actual issues so far. No defoliation done if the one time fimming aint counted. Same with the topped one:
IMG 20211201 152846 22

IMG 20211201 153150 12

It's been colder than -30 celcius so no airtake from outdoors, but humidity has been constantly at least 25 % since the humidier machine finally arrived. Not too much power on it but better than none.

nekkul

nekkul

... the ones going on week 7 has started to drink a lot faster the water i've been giving. Two times a week i've watered them each. First more proper type of watering was ph'd flushing till 20% runoff, and i let them go really dry after it. Then watered, when the pots felt nearly weightless and from that watering they started to do better, at least in my opinion.
I'm starting to allow myself to get excited about the upcoming harvest, since I dont feel anymore that they won't maybe make it there.
From what i ve been reading, the buds are on a state right now, when their swollening has slowly begun?

nekkul

nekkul

Hello again.
It's day nbr 59 and things going rather well, on my scale though.
I made really bad mistakes at the beginning, putting more than one plant in a pot and overwatering as the propably worst ones of them. I feel like it wasnt too far from a situation with zero harvest and prematurely dead plants.
Today their condition is far from optimal but every one is making beautiful buds.
Mimosas
IMG 20211217 002347 22

IMG 20211217 001331 6
IMG 20211217 001340 32
IMG 20211217 002401 32

Theres few even on a state where I feel I should finally start paying attention on curling stigmas and development of the colours of trichomes. Or what do you think? Obviously not talking about the one which is visibly premature and needs weeks to go before harvest, at least I think so.
This is Royal AK's main bud, plant is suffering chlorosis if I diagnosed her right. Shes looking pretty bad, I'm actually a bit ashamed to put whole plant-photo 🙈
IMG 20211217 001241 12

Below is NL main nug
IMG 20211217 002408 22

But! Theres also good news, something to focus on when I'm feeling like the most disasterious newbie-plant killer. She is one of the 45 days old NL's, all three of em are doing absolutely well comparing to others, the older ones. Here is main bud and the whole plant below too
IMG 20211217 072847 82

IMG 20211217 072839 22

... I learned to water a lot better, thanks to you, and because of that I've been able to avoid serious issues with these younger ones. They also have a bit higher temp (27 celcius) and I've been able to feed them a bit more without them showing any serious signs of overfeeding /nuteburns. They are a lot taller and over all healthier looking comparing to those older poor ones who had to be the ones to pay the prize of my learning process.
Last one is random pic showing some
AK's lower bud.
IMG 20211217 001254 32

Any thoughts/ advices/ anything would be highly appreciated, mainly cause I'm not yet able to say if my thoughts and conclusions are right or not.
Anyways, hoping all of you to be able to enjoy your friday 🍀

Top Bottom