It's not a matter of if I should rinse, but when

• Thread starter NorCalGal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Fellow Farmers,
Although my NorCal outdoor grow was not directly affected by the wildfires, it has had a great deal of ash dropped on it. A few weeks ago I gave them a vigorous shake to clean them but more ash has dropped and they've since started developing some resins so I don't think it would be as effective this time around. I'd really appreciate some opinions on whether I should rinse them now and risk bud rot or wait until harvest (they're still at least a week out) and rinse them after cutting.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Could you blow the ash off with a shop vac or leaf blower?

I always advocate for bud rinsing after the chop.

NorCalGal

NorCalGal

Could you blow the ash off with a shop vac or leaf blower?

I always advocate for bud rinsing after the chop.
That's an interesting idea! Normally, I curse (in my head) anyone using a leaf blower and only use ours on Vac mode. Still not sure it would overcome the sticky factor (not complaining!) but worth a try. On the subject of rinsing, since it looks like you've done it a few times, do you do Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Lemon Juice? And do you use warm water? I've cut and rinsed a few stalks but I think I may have melted some of the trichs.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That's an interesting idea! Normally, I curse (in my head) anyone using a leaf blower and only use ours on Vac mode. Still not sure it would overcome the sticky factor (not complaining!) but worth a try. On the subject of rinsing, since it looks like you've done it a few times, do you do Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Lemon Juice? And do you use warm water? I've cut and rinsed a few stalks but I think I may have melted some of the trichs.

I do a 3 stage rinse.

The first is cool water with baking soda and white vinegar. These two will produce enough suspended bubbles that the H2O2 actually becomes redundant, and should be near neutral pH once the baking soda is dissolved. H202 also works, but then you don't need the baking soda and lemon juice.

The second is 120 degree water, very briefly, like a 1 second swirl. The goal here is just to weaken the cell walls in the buds and leaves, which will make the smoke much less harsh and also will even out the drying process. This will subtract weight from the final buds. if that's a thing that matters to you.

The third is an ice water bath, to stop any further cellular degradation from the heat. Then just hang dry with ventilation until they're dry enough to cure like normal or whatever.

I think maybe your combination of all of the things might have happened to be acidic enough to melt the trichome heads?

the rrock

the rrock

I was evacuated 8/18 got home 27 days later,lost all my plants indoor and out except 2-1/2 outside.Those I just blew off ashes with compressor..I dont see ashes really harming the plants, my survivors are out of shock and finally growing buds,survivors were a cross I made of romulan x gorilla bomb. Survived no water and high of 105 with no sun(smoke filled sky) for 27 days.lost almost 60 plants

NorCalGal

NorCalGal

I was evacuated 8/18 got home 27 days later,lost all my plants indoor and out except 2-1/2 outside.Those I just blew off ashes with compressor..I dont see ashes really harming the plants, my survivors are out of shock and finally growing buds,survivors were a cross I made of romulan x gorilla bomb. Survived no water and high of 105 with no sun(smoke filled sky) for 27 days.lost almost 60 plants
I am so sorry. I mean, I know its far better than losing your home, but still such a devastating loss. Sounds like you might want to clone those survivors- they're beasts!

Latest posts

Top Bottom