I've managed to secure a small space to grow

• Thread starter Spliffyman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Spliffyman

Hi everyone

Sorry if I'm going on a bit 🙂🙏

I've managed to get the Mrs (she and her family are anti cannabis and I live in the UK so illegal) to agree to allow me to have a small space to set up a grow to accommodate 1, good size plant. The space I have is a recess in the back bedroom measuring...
50 inches wide
93 inches high
32 inches depth

I will be disguising it as a cupboard.

I have a rough idea of what I want the layout to be. Main grow area, a drying out rack and small surface area to work on and shelves etc. I will be building it rather than using the current tent that I'm using atm and so will be maximising the space I have.

I work long hours 5 days a week and with my current first grow (I'm checking the trichones daily as they are coming upto Flushing soon) I've been watering them once daily (growing in coco) but I feel that twice daily would have benefited them in the later stages.
Because of lack of time I like the idea of growing with a hydro set up as the plant can take what it needs without relying on me as much.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what equipment I should get for a reliable setup and the best nutrients for DWC?

Any other advice in general would be appreciated too 🙂

All the best and thanks 😉

Last edited:
TaimerPots

TaimerPots

Ever considered a bubble bucket? 5 gallon bucket with a 3 gallon bucket or a net pot that acts as a lid. I made my own, I use the net pot, inside the 5 gallon bucket I run an air stone. small pond pump connected to a irrigator. I also installed a view tube for nutrient level and a 3/4" drain valve. This will allow you grow a big plant. You can Google bubble bucket or another dwc that works well are storage totes, cut out the pot size in the lid and again, install air stone and water pump. I'll see if I have a pic after I get done writing, you can grow more than one but that won't increase your yield much.
Also you have the perfect measurements for a 48x24" tent. I'd go with the tallest I can find as this helps keeping temp and humidity in check. Just a suggestion because the tent will have all the exhaust ports you need and you can save yourself some coin and time.
P.s. this pic is a 20 gallon storage totes, each have 5 cut outs for 5" square net pots, like I said more plants won't increase the yeild, the size of the space dictates the total yeild.
IMG 05701
IMG 05701

S

Spliffyman

Thanks for the reply mate.. I have a couple of tents that I could possibly use.. I would probably cut them into measured pieces and build them into a frame in the recess along with other equipment.

Seen this on amazon for under £30 thinks its the direction I want to go.
Your setup looks pretty sweeetet 😊

Will be starting to flush my first grow soon as my trichomes have just started to turn amber.. I'm Like a kid in a sweet shop🙂

Thanks again. Mate 🙏

Screenshot 20191228 022603 comamazonmShopandroidshopping
NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

I have DWC, in the UK. How long are your work hours? Issue in with DWC is how far the PH swings during the first 4/5 weeks due to low EC. I usually have to check 3-4 times per day during the time just to make PH amendments. In the latter stages it’s a piece of piss though.
Have you thought about staying with coco but setting up an automatic watering system... much cheaper to set up. There is a great/helpful website I can share with you the link if you’re interested.

NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

I currently have a dual oxypot 55l tank with a res cooler, and a recirculating pump.

2B7C6774 43D1 4EE4 96AD E984BD7FD3B6
9EA85864 3CC1 4DD0 A0F3 2647FE8ADA8C
S

Spliffyman

I have DWC, in the UK. How long are your work hours? Issue in with DWC is how far the PH swings during the first 4/5 weeks due to low EC. I usually have to check 3-4 times per day during the time just to make PH amendments. In the latter stages it’s a piece of piss though.
Have you thought about staying with coco but setting up an automatic watering system... much cheaper to set up. There is a great/helpful website I can share with you the link if you’re interested.

Hello mate thanks for the heads up.. Yea a link would be great... I'm out of the house at least 13 hours a day.

The auto watering system sounds good.. I want what's best for the plant so any help/ideas would be awesome. I didn't know about the early problems with the pH with DWC... I'm just finding my feet with all of this.. Happy with my first grow though considering I'm a new. 🙂

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

Thanks for the reply mate.. I have a couple of tents that I could possibly use.. I would probably cut them into measured pieces and build them into a frame in the recess along with other equipment.

Seen this on amazon for under £30 thinks its the direction I want to go.
Your setup looks pretty sweeetet 😊

Will be starting to flush my first grow soon as my trichomes have just started to turn amber.. I'm Like a kid in a sweet shop🙂

Thanks again. Mate 🙏
Thats pretty much it except you can get a larger lid, I'll send pics if my current set up soon, I have a blackwater kush and white-widow x chronic thate just over 2 weeks old now

4plant

4plant

Dwc is allot of work and if you can’t check/ adjust ph multiple times a day and manage water top ups and add backs you won’t get the full rewards of the system. I would recommend using either coco or rockwool with a res set to feed as needed. I timed my lights and feeds so I can adjust in the morning before I leave and when I get home at night. Works well.

NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

My link was removed 😕 not sure if you managed to see it before it died...

S

Spliffyman

My link was removed 😕 not sure if you managed to see it before it died...
I didn't see it mate.. Only just checked back now.. Thanks for trying 🙏 how are you finding the Blackwater lush and white widow? Have you grown these before?

S

Spliffyman

Dwc is allot of work and if you can’t check/ adjust ph multiple times a day and manage water top ups and add backs you won’t get the full rewards of the system. I would recommend using either coco or rockwool with a res set to feed as needed. I timed my lights and feeds so I can adjust in the morning before I leave and when I get home at night. Works well.
Hi mate cheers... I'm currently growing in coco and it's been great really... Just started my first flush today.. Been growing 4 thc bomb autos although I did do a lot of fimming etc.. 2 of them responded really well and 2 struggled a bit but hey ho.. You can't be scared of experimenting cos you will learn nothing 🙂

A timed res sounds a good idea

Farmer P

Farmer P

Seems to me if You want hands off easy dirt would be the way to go. You may only have to water once a week and you won't even have to worry about ph. You see all the plants growing outside with dirt and water? Just a thought. Good luck!

S

Spliffyman

Seems to me if You want hands off easy dirt would be the way to go. You may only have to water once a week and you won't even have to worry about ph. You see all the plants growing outside with dirt and water? Just a thought. Good luck!
You have a good point with the flowers and dirt outside mate 😊.. I do want hands on really but with being a bit limited on time I'm just trying to grow as best I can 😊 thanks for your input gents 👍

I'll be back 🙏😉

Farmer P

Farmer P

You have a good point with the flowers and dirt outside mate 😊.. I do want hands on really but with being a bit limited on time I'm just trying to grow as best I can 😊 thanks for your input gents 👍

I'll be back 🙏😉
Personally I love the coco and if I were you I would stick with that. A little more work than soil, but the growth is phenominal in comparison.

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

Here's a homemade version of what you posted, I found a package deal on the water pumps and was able to make 5 of these for just over
$100
20191231 220451
20191231 220451
20191231 220413

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

I didn't see it mate.. Only just checked back now.. Thanks for trying 🙏 how are you finding the Blackwater lush and white widow? Have you grown these before?
The widow x chronic came from a previous grow and the blackwater was acquired after a long search. Both came from buds that I've smoked which over the years I have found to be the way to go. I've had a lot better luck with bag seed as far as genetics go, seed banks will tell you whatever for a sale. I've grown white widow, master kush, GDP, bubblegum, blueberry, incredible hulk, and banana kush. You ever get those varieties I'll be happy to share the journals

NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

. cocofor cannabis.com/cannabis-ch at-room/

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

So these are my girls starting with gelato, blackwater kush in the middle and finally a cross of ww and an oldschool chronic strain from Humboldt, you don't know who much blackwater if smoked before finding a bean in what I consider to a good strain of blackwater ( I like a heavy influence of Mendo purps personally).
This is a 4×4 tent, 2 clip fans, a t5 florescent fixture that houses 8 4 foot bulbs rated at 55 watts each for a total of 440 total watts.
My containers are homemade, 5 gallon bucket with a net pot lid, each bucket as it's own water pump for constant recirculation and an air stone. Volcanic clay pebbles make the medium but seedlings were started in 2" cubes. I prefer to transplant as soon as I see the plant sprout.
Just using advanced nutrients (part) but I did use voodoo juice and ancient earth the first 2 weeks after transplanting to establish a stronger root system.
All three are 28 days old from transplant, tops were chopped around the 20th day and I'm slowly lolly popping before I go into flower in just under 2 weeks.
Future plans include a trellis, I usually install those after a week of flower, and I'll be flowering under a 1000 watt double ended hps.
I hate spending more than I have to on energy so the first week of flower is even done under the t5 system and my ballast is adjustable and I won't even start burning the full 1000 watts until mid flower.
Let me know what you guys think or any questions/advice
20200108 141113

S

Spliffyman

The widow x chronic came from a previous grow and the blackwater was acquired after a long search. Both came from buds that I've smoked which over the years I have found to be the way to go. I've had a lot better luck with bag seed as far as genetics go, seed banks will tell you whatever for a sale. I've grown white widow, master kush, GDP, bubblegum, blueberry, incredible hulk, and banana kush. You ever get those varieties I'll be happy to share the journals
Just checked back and noticed the replies 😉 loving them homemade Dwc's mate.. I bet you got great satisfaction building them 👍 I've been considering the white widow for my next grow along with ak47.. But there's so many to choose from jeez.. That's a good thing though 😀 your journals would be great.. Im considering doing autos rather than photo but I'll see👌

S

Spliffyman

So these are my girls starting with gelato, blackwater kush in the middle and finally a cross of ww and an oldschool chronic strain from Humboldt, you don't know who much blackwater if smoked before finding a bean in what I consider to a good strain of blackwater ( I like a heavy influence of Mendo purps personally).
This is a 4×4 tent, 2 clip fans, a t5 florescent fixture that houses 8 4 foot bulbs rated at 55 watts each for a total of 440 total watts.
My containers are homemade, 5 gallon bucket with a net pot lid, each bucket as it's own water pump for constant recirculation and an air stone. Volcanic clay pebbles make the medium but seedlings were started in 2" cubes. I prefer to transplant as soon as I see the plant sprout.
Just using advanced nutrients (part) but I did use voodoo juice and ancient earth the first 2 weeks after transplanting to establish a stronger root system.
All three are 28 days old from transplant, tops were chopped around the 20th day and I'm slowly lolly popping before I go into flower in just under 2 weeks.
Future plans include a trellis, I usually install those after a week of flower, and I'll be flowering under a 1000 watt double ended hps.
I hate spending more than I have to on energy so the first week of flower is even done under the t5 system and my ballast is adjustable and I won't even start burning the full 1000 watts until mid flower.
Let me know what you guys think or any questions/advice View attachment 928090
Lovely jubbly indeed 😍 great info.. I've heard good things about voodoo juice.. Have you ever used terpinator? I've got some nutrients saved in my amazon basket atm.. I can see your passionate about it with the way you post.. I m loving it I've been thinking of cutting down light usage for my next grow and also decreasing nutrient usage as it cost me a small fortune for my first grow 😂. Heard you can get away with 13 on 11 off but that's probably a bit too much saving lol.. So might do a 17 on 7 off..

I harvested my first grow last Sunday and have had it in a drying net in darkness in my tent since then with an extractor fan, intake fan and then 2 clip on fans blowing away from the Buds.. I've also put a dehumidifier in there.. The tent is running at 55% RH and 20 Celsius. I've checked them today and noticed the outside is a little bit crunchy but the centre is still a little squidgy (moist) I've got mason jars and humidy packs (62%) at the ready.. Just wanna get it right first time as would be gutted if they went moldy 👀 might leave them in there another day...

Top Bottom