Jacked up seedlings

• Thread starter Dr.Ew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

What's up farm! I have some troubling little seedlings I need help with! I am new to growing cannabis and indoor cultivation, and unfortunately I have some unhappy little babies.

All the water has just been straight tap water that has an undersink filter. The light is an hlg elite 360 kit I built and they are great people to deal with! The tent is 3x3x6 with the light as high as possible and turned down to about 50% power. The light is about 4ft above the plants currently.

I am growing Sunkiss from Irie Genetics (looking really rough) and Alien Sour Apple looking ok overall and not displaying the same issues. The cabinet that is referred to early in my notes is about a 2x4 cabinet left by the previous home owner with some fluorescent lights rigged in it. It worked fine for the sunkiss seedlings until it got way cold outside and temps were stuck in the 60s. The area itslef is an old subbasement built into a hill face separate from the rest of the finished basement and has ambient temps staying in the mid to low 60s and humidity is the same.

Ignore the reference to the bag seeds I tried to pop. They were about 15 years old and none germinated.

Below are my daily notes I take as I observe my babies twice and sometimes 3 times a day as the schedule allows.

1/4/20
What a great date to start on!
3 sunkiss and 3 bagseed where placed in soil in solo cup with drainage holes drilled in (Kellogg organic plus potting mix with added 30% perlite)
Watered to runoff with mix of smoke water and recharge
Placed on cinder block inside veg cabinet with 20/4 cycle

1/5/20
Pots still moist nothing to do

1/6/20
Light watering to keep soil moist with smoke water/recharge mix that has been bubbled for 24hrs
Updated lighting to 24hrs on helps hold temps in mid 70s humidity mid 70s

1/7/20
Sunkiss #3 looks like it's popped but stuck under soil, if it has not popped out by tonight I will try to help it out and re-moisten all pots checked this evening and all sunkiss have popped #2 and #3 needed help getting the seed shell off. No bagseed has popped yet, re-wet all pots temps and humidity staying in the mid 70s

1/8/20
All sunkiss have popped and producing first set of leaves. Watered all cups to run off, bag seed has not popped, have 4 more bag seeds soaking attempting to have at least 6 plants germinated to sex. two seeds have sunk to the bottom of the cup and have been planted in the same mix as above. Labeled bag seed 4 and bag seed 5

1/9/20
Sunkiss plants all doing well, forming first leaves after cotiledon and seem to be stretching a lot, #2 and #3 more than #1 I stacked bricks on top of the cinder block to get them closer to the light so they don't get wispy. No sign of bag seeds popping, starting to consider popping the rest of the sunkiss to ensure a full run. Top dressed sunkiss with same mix as above to cover up the stem about 1/4 inch then watered in

1/10/20
Sunkiss has reacted well to being raised up no wilting or burn. Took bag seed #3 out of soil and gently popped seed open then re-buried it.

1/11/20
No progress on any bag seed going to pop 3 alien sour apple. Sunkiss looking good allowing the cups to dry out a bit more now to promote root growth. Planted 3 Alien sour apple seeds in same mix as all the rest watered in with smoke water and recharge. Added an earthworm each to the sunkiss.

1/12/20
No progress on bag seed. Sunkiss was fairly dry so watered them all in as well as bag seed cups. ASA was still moist so left that alone. First two leaves of sunkiss have not grown much, appears they are starting to push out new leaves. I will move them down 1 brick from the light as the stretch stoped but I'm worried they are just too close and stunting new growth.

1/13/20
All same on bag seed and ASA. Both are plenty moist. Sunkiss looking good, first leaf set is growing nicely looks like it will start to push second leaf set soon.

1/14/20
Sunkiss is looking good going to allow cups to dry out to encourage more root growth. Moistened the ASA cups should hopefully see germination soon. Moved everything into the tent. Kept light at the top and turned down to lowest power. All cups are at the bottom in saucers.

1/15/20
Plants are responding well to the new light so far. Temps still fluctuating from mid sixties to low seventies. As plants grow the light can be turned up from 50% to Max and lowered closer to the plants to create a warmer environment. Humidity is a concern getting routinely in the 80s now ad was at 92% when I opened the tent 10 minutes after lights on. Keeping the door open for a short period and opened vents in the tent to help exchange air moving forward. Going to really need my ventilation figured out soon. ASA #1 and #2 are popping out of the soil. Sunkiss 2 and 3 are clearly taller than 2. Overall 3 has been the happiest and 2 seems to display droopy leaves the most as 3 is generally praying. Still letting the cups dry as they feel plenty heavy and the second leaf set is clearly pushing up now.

1/16/20
ASA #1 and #2 have popped and pushing first leaf set. Look smaller more yellow and less vigorous than the sunkiss did but seem ok. Sunkiss looks good soil still moist, the high wood content really holds water. Temps are sticking btwn the mid sixties to low seventies need to figure out a way to warm up the root zones as I think it is slowing growth. Dropped the light a few inches and will begin to raise the plants closer to it.

1/17/20
All look strong, added just a bit of moisture to ASA #3. Sunkiss are starting to droop a lot. Temps in the tent are staying in the 60s now that it's colder. Need to find a way to warm up the root zones and promote moisture uptake.

1/18/20
Lots of changes. Purchased a very small 250w space heater and raised up all the plants on a milk crate to get them closer to the light and hopefully a bit warmer. With the heater running the temps have staying around the high 70s to just around 80. Sunkiss are all drooping a bit drying out a bit more, possibly water later tonight. Watered in sunkiss 1,2,3

1/19/20
Not much change from yesterday hoping to see the plants perk up after watering and heater added.

1/20/20
Plants look about the same. Disposed of ASA 3 cup as seed was under attack by some sort of small worms. They were not seen in any other plant. Replanted a new seed and remarked ASA #3. Temps holding steady despite very cold outside.

1/21/20
Sunkiss #1 and #2 are still being little bitches purple stems all the way on 1 and most of the way on 2 q even has some in verigation. #3 has similar yellowing but no purple and the most turgid leaves consistently. Sunkiss seemed dried out already so watered them in with plain water only. Topped off the cups of ASA #1 and #2. Watered them in as well.

1/22/20
Moved all the sunkiss to bottom of tent and shaded them with a run off tray. Also turned the light down as much as possible worried it might be too much lifht. ASA looking good still.

1/23/20
Sunkiss looks the same so at least not worse. ASA looks fine, still no sign of the other seed popping. ASA #3 has popped and is just breaking above the soil. ASA 1 and 2 both looking good. Sunkiss 1 and 2 are just sad looking 3 is not that far behind. Soil is moist but not soaking, cotyledons look to be dying off.

1/24/20
ASA #3 is looking good cotyledons getting ready to open. ASA 1 and 2 look good but ASA 1 is developing a bit of a purple stem. Sunkiss 2 has burnt or possibly dying leaf tips. Temps have been around 81 and mid 50s humidity when checking in. Sunkiss 1 is still fully limp fist leaves. Sunkiss 3 has the most Green left in the first leaves and no burning . None of the sunkiss seem to have grown much at all.

Thanks for looking over what I have written and hopefully I can get this turned around!

Jacked up seedlings
Jacked up seedlings 2
Jacked up seedlings 3
Jacked up seedlings 4
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

light needs r minimal. sm florescent, even house bulbs... will do. don't waste ur money, burnin a teepee light on linglings. at that stage... ur medium have ppm value? unnecessary, at this stage.that tap needs ph'd. I'll try to read logs, but if i freak, don't worry- others will come. lil early for celotedons to discolor, but could b a strain thang; just don't recall seein it, that early. tips, a lil curled. could b temps, or nutes. 60° at night: too cold. guys have great diy ideas vs seedling, heat mats. u can go 24/24 on those n keep temps, UP. i have the shiny shyt... generally, if the house is comfy, so r my seedlings. folks tend to go high 70s, though. u can check the part of the globe they're from n c what spring climate, is like- to reproduce itn ur tent.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

now that they're up n runnin, u can drop that rh... get a 2nd opinion, though.

yeah, i prolly stay outta ur lane, but those who follow: gonna need ppm/ec, ph... and ur right... that many days, they're not thrivin. um... 60° & nearing 100% humility... only goin higher, at night, as you've noted... ur not going to have plants long- i know u just got some expensive gear, but that rh will ruin u and i doubt ur seeds, were cheap.
need hygrometer, if not, already.

test that tap water... ur still, emparting values.

best of luck. not to worry: folks will follow.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

bridges are the first thing to freeze... due to cold, above and below. careful. the lift is a commonly used idea/technique... but 60° @ 95%rh... aren't a climate those folks do that in. sooner... than later- gotta get on that.
how big n what temp, is ur water heater area? is it a gas? odds r, it's kickin out, gratis, diox n a comfy temp, if u can fit light. tops of tv's, etc, minus electrical n fluids... b creative- u don't need alot of space for em, yet. all u need is a nightlight on em, to avoid confusion n u can come, go ; light em up, at will... I'm pretty sure your bathroom, isn't 60° @ 95rh... "ya feel me"...?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Seedlings are extremely overwatered (too often) and stunted bad. Roots too wet and likely rotting. Medium shows wet soil and browning perlite (happens when watered too much should look pristine white) and finally i dont know what smoke water is but seedlings need no additives or nutrients.

Oh and the drain holes need to be on the bottom of the cup. Yours are just above on the side likely trapping water at the bottom.

Hope this all helps.

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

A few things, I moved a large dehumidifier close to the tent on the 16th and humidity has been kept in check to low 50s to mid 40s. The perlite is stained brown on top from recharge that is just a microbe mix with some powdered molasses and stains everything a dark brown. There is a very large drain hole about a half inch in diameter in the center bottom of each cup in addition to those extra holes on the sides. I do think when it got cold the plants didn't drink up and the soil stayed wet for too long.

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

With the small heater and the plants raised up on a milk crate ( got that from you @MIMedGrower ) the heat goes under there drainage tray and radiates up past the plants the temps have been consistent high 70s but usually around 81-82. I understand with led the sweet spot is a bit closer to 85.

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

Forgot to explain smoke water. This is simply tap water that I put in the bong and smoke. I just collect it in a cup. Studies have shown that "smoke water" helps with seed germination.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ok but the plants are showing classic over watering. My seedlings go at least a week between waterings the first few times.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Forgot to explain smoke water. This is simply tap water that I put in the bong and smoke. I just collect it in a cup. Studies have shown that "smoke water" helps with seed germination.

Got a link?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Dont take this the wrong way , because i can see by your enthusium that you are going to be a really good (great ) marijuana grower , im not kidding....
But your note that said "added smoke water " and an earthworm , cracked me up.....
It sounds really funny,

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

Some smoke water info:

These are a few articles but full disclosure I heard the info on the dude grows podcast.

I just happened to run across some earthworms doing yard work that day and figured why the hell not. Not sure if it was a dumbass move or not. If this is over watering is it salvageable or should I just move on and pop some more seeds?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Some smoke water info:

These are a few articles but full disclosure I heard the info on the dude grows podcast.

I just happened to run across some earthworms doing yard work that day and figured why the hell not. Not sure if it was a dumbass move or not. If this is over watering is it salvageable or should I just move on and pop some more seeds?

That artical doesnt say smoke is useful for weed seeds or anything about bong water.

And i bet if you dry them out real good they start growing again but its your call to start over or not. I always nurse them back to healrh but it is not very time efficient all the time.

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

@MIMedGrower the first article gives instructions on how to create smoke water. They use a bee smoker to force smoke through water I use a bong. Either way it's a similar although obviously can't really be controlled for or quantified. It doesn't have any studies specific to cannabis at this point but there are plenty of studies out there. These were simply two randomly selected from a Google page full. Cannabis is not necessarily a plant that follows fire, but it does thrive in and is amongst the first to populate disturbed ecosystems, which I would imagine fire would qualify. There are also studies showing that smoke water is beneficial for many seeds not necessarily those that follow fire events.

I have been trying to go at least a week btwn waterings. Today makes 8 days and the cups are pretty dang light. I will try to update some pictures later today.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Some smoke water info:

Hey Dr Ew , cool , actually i do the same exact thing with my outdoor fig plants , they are in 20 gal containers and im always grabbing worms i find while digging , and throw them in the container with the fig plants , i think they stay if they want to or just wiggle out the bottom ....
Didnt mean to offend , my apologies if i did ....
Your thinking sounds advanced , and i wish you great luck , if i can offer any basic advice, feel free to ask.....

Dr.Ew

Dr.Ew

@dire wolf no offense taken at all! It was just one of those stoney maneuvers that seemed good at the time and then you wonder like man was that dumb to do? I have no fucking idea! After all I am the one with the messed up plants so I ask for advice with a humble heart knowing full well I need to defer to the expertise of others!

dire wolf

dire wolf

👍 you are not only smart.... but very cool !! , i'll keep an eye on your posts and offer help where i can !

KLight03

KLight03

Not sure where you are, but I learned recently that mine like it near the hotter/more humid end of the spectrum. I have one lonely Blue Gelato that acts like that, she still likes to feign weakness, but I learned she doesn't like the cold at all. If it were in human terms, yellow tells me sulphur problem (yes, sometimes it's as simple as that in fixing humans). I am brand new to this, these guys can tell you better than me. In my head: maybe sulphur isn't being processed, so what does that equate to? A light problem? A water problem? I believe that's what is part of what's broken down in photosynthesis, right?

Top Bottom