Japanese beetles, what do you guys do?

• Thread starter widwestgreenscapes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
widwestgreenscapes

widwestgreenscapes

I know this is likely impractical for you and way more work than you want to put in but this is how I combatted pests at my old house. My shit was getting ravaged by flying pests particularly moths and caterpillars. Pyrethrin and other aids were barely putting a dent in it due to the nightly onslaught. A couple hundred bucks at HomeDepot did the trick. Some small grade lumber pieces, saw, drill, screws, stapler, and a roll of replacement window screen. In one afternoon I free-styled the structure then stapled on the screen. This was a huge screen tent almost 10ft high but if you have a small plant you can make a much smaller one maybe about head high and just lift it and set it over your plant...

View attachment 1150511
Not to much work but impractical for right now.as I have them spread out 12’ apart so it’s about 24x36 to the center of the outside plants and lumber prices are outta control right now. I’ve actually been working on drawing up a “greenhouse” build for the area for next year. With removable sides and roof so some longer flowering strains can stay out safely longer into October. That would probably be a bit smaller but I’ll run a tap for water down there and electric too.

widwestgreenscapes

widwestgreenscapes

So just a quick update I’ve also added wintergreen to the mix and it’s been doing a decent job. I’m not totally rid of the damn beetles but when I do find them it’s only a couple, Not 20 humping. I spray the essential oil mix around the grow area pretty heavy every few days. Or the next day if it rains. Some Plants have started to flower so I’m not spraying directly on them. These guys are now destroying the ferns and other plants in the woods near by instead of my plants.

P

Procrazton8

Havnt seen much on here through searches about them so.... what are experienced outdoor growers doing when encountering Japanese beetles. I’ve been out smashing the fuckers everyday for about a week now. And have foliar treated with neem. Thinking about an imidacloprid treatment but I’m not super into chemically treating things I’ll eat or smoke. They havnt started to gather to crazy yet but... I know how these bastards work. I’m not looking forward to the day I walk out there and see 20 of them humping on top of my Death Star lol. so just looking to hear what other people do when they run across these assholes. I work in IPM, so chemically I fully understand how to deal with them. I was just too damn busy this year to treat my property before I planted and well now I’m paying for it. My mistake that won’t happen again.
Where is the deathstar?

Top Bottom