Jarred buds don’t smell nice and skunky. Help.....you jar heads🤔

• Thread starter Rikismom420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Jarred my buds starting two weeks ago, now they have odd smell. Not the mold but not skunk ..so having dried a few oz . And just jarred in mason jars I am debating just putting them in baggies....being a noob ...I just don’t now what the frick to do......help please..northern lights and big bug xl are the strains I grew and harvested and dried......help please
Thx for all the info so far
Happy growing 😉

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Jarred my buds starting two weeks ago, now they have odd smell. Not the mold but not skunk ..so having dried a few oz . And just jarred in mason jars I am debating just putting them in baggies....being a noob ...I just don’t now what the frick to do......help please..northern lights and big bug xl are the strains I grew and harvested and dried......help please
Thx for all the info so far
Happy growing 😉
What was your drying process?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Then just put in jars and sealed? Did you use hygrometers? Did you burp them?

Smells kinda like vinager?

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Then just put in jars and sealed? Did you use hygrometers? Did you burp them?

Smells kinda like vinager?
Maybe a little..but mostly the buds I just put in jars smelled grassy but You. Crush the bud a bit it smells good.yes in jars and burped , no humidity , or very low.can I fix it?thx 😌
Happy growing

TerriR

TerriR

Maybe a little..but mostly the buds I just put in jars smelled grassy but You. Crush the bud a bit it smells good.yes in jars and burped , no humidity , or very low.can I fix it?thx 😌
Happy growing
Mine always smells like hay until it cures. Some strains seem to cure slower than others. I just took out some from last fall that wasn’t very potent at first but now is pretty excellent and definitely doesn’t smell like hay!

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Mine always smells like hay until it cures. Some strains seem to cure slower than others. I just took out some from last fall that wasn’t very potent at first but now is pretty excellent and definitely doesn’t smell like hay!
I know it is good weed because I made cannabutter from mostly leaves and a few little buds and it I really nice..😎😎, i never have had anything that I bought that doesn’t smell good though.i have been around this for 40 years .any info is appreciated
Thx 😎
Happy growing ✨

BudBogart

BudBogart

if You dried small buds for 8 days in 75 degree and very low humidity they are already dried way past a cure. A mason jar or a baggy at this point is just to hold your bud, curing can no longer take place.
A good dry for small buds would be strung inside a cardboard box with a couple air holes and in maybe 60 degree and 60 % humidity so they might slowly dry. If small buds weren’t too dry in a week I would say you did a good job, but small groups of small bud is hard to dry slowly.

Proper drying would be cool and humid enough to keep the little stems attached to the buds from drying before the larger branches have a chance to slowly wick moisture through the buds and into the air. Once the bud stems dry out they can’t reopen to wick moisture into the bud so careful, controlled drying is required for the best drying.

Curing is just the continuation of drying but now you have a delicate bud with no reservoir of moisture to help control drying. In a perfect environment for the final slow exchange of moisture from the bud interior through the outer portion of the bud and into the air, no additional action is needed.
However, none of us have that, so we create conditions using mason jars so we can control the environment, especially humidity. Placed in proper temperatures the jars allow the slow wicking of remaining moisture into the jars which are burped in order to let the moisture out of the jars. With use of a small hygrometer you can watch the moisture in the jar rise as the buds continue to release moisture.

All of this is just my opinion based on my own observations, but I’m always stoned, so there’s that to consider. Best of luck.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

if You dried small buds for 8 days in 75 degree and very low humidity they are already dried way past a cure. A mason jar or a baggy at this point is just to hold your bud, curing can no longer take place.
A good dry for small buds would be strung inside a cardboard box with a couple air holes and in maybe 60 degree and 60 % humidity so they might slowly dry. If small buds weren’t too dry in a week I would say you did a good job, but small groups of small bud is hard to dry slowly.

Proper drying would be cool and humid enough to keep the little stems attached to the buds from drying before the larger branches have a chance to slowly wick moisture through the buds and into the air. Once the bud stems dry out they can’t reopen to wick moisture into the bud so careful, controlled drying is required for the best drying.

Curing is just the continuation of drying but now you have a delicate bud with no reservoir of moisture to help control drying. In a perfect environment for the final slow exchange of moisture from the bud interior through the outer portion of the bud and into the air, no additional action is needed.
However, none of us have that, so we create conditions using mason jars so we can control the environment, especially humidity. Placed in proper temperatures the jars allow the slow wicking of remaining moisture into the jars which are burped in order to let the moisture out of the jars. With use of a small hygrometer you can watch the moisture in the jar rise as the buds continue to release moisture.

All of this is just my opinion based on my own observations, but I’m always stoned, so there’s that to consider. Best of luck.
Thx for the lesson..help understand what is happening in the drying curing ...and u did a great job while stoned...😉😉😊
Most of my buds were small and airy but sticky also and hard think that light will distroy the thc.. we did t use to do anything to what was bought or grow....decades ago and it was good and smelled good..
Thx for the info all pieces of knowledge put together make a great pic...
And I was not stoned. Lol. Don’t do much of that these days.
Happy growing 😉

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

we did t use to do anything to what was bought or grow....decades ago and it was good and smelled good..

That was back before producer propaganda ruined weed.

Sensi: producer trend, kills natural fatty acid production.
Npk/yield boosters: producer trend, kills 2ndary metabolite production.
Indoor: producer trend, kills 2ndary metabolite production.
Fresh weed terpene hype: Producer trend, a byproduct of freshly harvested chemically emaciated weed with no fatty/amino acids (uncurable perfume garbage)

I wanted to try a new strain recently and used the "best" delivery service in town.. Their bud comes out of a cooler, has nasty flavor and looses it's smell in 3 days of vaccum storage. You cant cure that stuff. It doesn't even count as an experienced, just a waste of time, and the world really needs to accept this fact before it's too late and literally no one remembers sticky one hitter hallucination inducing room filling resin clouds. Half the population is already on that placebo high and lying about the functionality of their taste buds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom