Jiffy pellet seedling roots growing out. Transplant ASAP?

• Thread starter CarpeDiamonds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Hey guys,

First time grower, I just noticed a few of the roots of two of my seedlings in jiffy pellets have outgrown the pellet. That was a lot faster than expected. I take it I should transplant instantly to avoid root shock? I'm thinking of transplanting the pellet straight into organic soil in a 4 liter plastic pot.

Dsc 0308   copy
Dsc 0317   copy
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I would rip the netting but leave the netting on so you don't damage the root growing through it and then put it in a half full solo cup with holes in the bottom and fill it the rest of the way with your preferred media.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Unless it's an auto, then it might be too late. If it's an auto carefully plant in it's final pot.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I leave the netting personally never found roots to have any issue with it but yup transplant away.
I've only had issues with root plugs and autos. I had two different autos stunt and never push through the netting.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

I would rip the netting but leave the netting on so you don't damage the root growing through it and then put it in a half full solo cup with holes in the bottom and fill it the rest of the way with your preferred media.
I leave the netting personally never found roots to have any issue with it but yup transplant away.
If I use a 4 Liter pot instead of a solo cup will they're be issues? I was planning on picking 4 of my best seedlings and transplanting them into these 4 Liter pots as they fit nicely side by side in my space and then eventually transplanting 2 of them into larger containers like a paint bucket. I want to avoid transplanting too many times so I'm thinking just skip the solo cup stage.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I use a 4 Liter pot instead of a solo cup will they're be issues? I was planning on picking 4 of my best seedlings and transplanting them into these 4 Liter pots as they fit nicely side by side in my space and then eventually transplanting 2 of them into larger containers like a paint bucket. I want to avoid transplanting too many times so I'm thinking just skip the solo cup stage.
Nope should be fine. A lot will depend on media and how good the drainage is. I put my freshly germinated seeds straight into coco as it drains well.

Typically if in soil you want them in a pot size that will require 2-3 days between watering. A 1 gal is gonna be absolutely fine for them IMO. The key is do NOT over water them. But also water the entire media because roots don't grow into dry soil. Then make sure you let it dry well before watering again. The time will depend largely on the drainage of the media

These guys are only a couple days old in 1 gal coco

20201026 215206
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Nope should be fine. A lot will depend on media and how good the drainage is. I put my freshly germinated seeds straight into coco as it drains well.

Typically if in soil you want them in a pot size that will require 2-3 days between watering. A 1 gal is gonna be absolutely fine for them IMO. The key is do NOT over water them. But also water the entire media because roots don't grow into dry soil. Then make sure you let it dry well before watering again. The time will depend largely on the drainage of the media

These guys are only a couple days old in 1 gal coco
Alright got it should be good! Should I also pre-wet the media before transplanting or place in dry and then water?

quirk

quirk

I remove netting top and bottom after hydrating, then transfer to pre-moistened final pot day after sprout with zero defects.
It's all grower preference and finding your "sweet spot."

DSCN2645 2
IMG 20200318 183105698
IMG 20200318 183622125 HDR
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

On a side note,do you remember those bleached african crosses we discussed before? You mentioned an update.8/10 made it.

20220719 181959

Latest posts

Top Bottom