Jimmy Carter Supports Legalization

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Figure this will get all the Carter haters to crawl out of the woodwork. Saw the guy speak in college well after his presidential tenure, very smart and insightful.

outwest

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/...arter-ok-with-legalizing-marijuana-84921.html

Today, speaking to a CNN panel, Former President Jimmy Carter stated that he is in favor of legalizing marijuana. On the topic of the recently passed initiatives in Washington and Colorado, President Carter said it was in the best interest of the country for those states to be allowed to proceed with the regulation of cannabis. ā€œIā€™m in favor of it. I think itā€™s OK, I donā€™t think itā€™s going to happen in Georgia yet, but I think we can watch and see what happens in the state of Washington, for instance around Seattle, and let the American government and let the American people see does it cause a serious problem or not. So I think a few places around the world is good to experiment with and also just a few states in America are good to take the initiative and try something out. Thatā€™s the way our country has developed over the last 200 years. Itā€™s about a few states being kind of experiment states. So on that basis I am in favor of it.ā€

The former president further stated that he did not think the ending of prohibition would lead to a dramatic increase in use rates. He pointed to Portugal as a model example: ā€œAll drugs were decriminalized in Portugal a few years ago and the use of drugs has gone down dramatically and nobody has been put in prison.ā€

As President Obama and his Justice Department contemplate what, if any, action to take as a result of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington, we can only hope he listens to the wisdom from those who came before him. Recently, President Bill Clinton expressed his own dissatisfaction with the war on drugs, saying the anti-drug effort ā€œhasnā€™t workedā€ in a newly released documentary, Breaking the Taboo. ā€œWell obviously, if the expected results was that we would eliminate serious drug use in America and eliminate the narcotrafficking networks ā€” it hasnā€™t worked.ā€

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
yeah, he was slightly before my time, but he was a modest man A peanut farmer so I know he understands hard work and planning ahead most likely. Dude tried to legalize it while he was pres and got pressured I'd imagine not to....
I think he isn't easily bought by corps so the media hates him...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The Iran hostage situation destroyed his public image a US leader and set the stage for Reagan to be revered for all time.

Wish Nancy Reagan would pony on over to the Rockies and smoke a big fat legal doobie with me!

outwest

squiggly

squiggly

The Iran hostage situation destroyed his public image a US leader and set the stage for Reagan to be revered for all time.

Wish Nancy Reagan would pony on over to the Rockies and smoke a big fat legal doobie with me!

outwest

This about sums it up.

People are so fickle.

P

paulsoco

Every president in tne future will have used and the past 3 have used. Such examples of gateway to higher politics.
Figure this will get all the Carter haters to crawl out of the woodwork. Saw the guy speak in college well after his presidential tenure, very smart and insightful.

outwest

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/...arter-ok-with-legalizing-marijuana-84921.html

Today, speaking to a CNN panel, Former President Jimmy Carter stated that he is in favor of legalizing marijuana. On the topic of the recently passed initiatives in Washington and Colorado, President Carter said it was in the best interest of the country for those states to be allowed to proceed with the regulation of cannabis. ā€œIā€™m in favor of it. I think itā€™s OK, I donā€™t think itā€™s going to happen in Georgia yet, but I think we can watch and see what happens in the state of Washington, for instance around Seattle, and let the American government and let the American people see does it cause a serious problem or not. So I think a few places around the world is good to experiment with and also just a few states in America are good to take the initiative and try something out. Thatā€™s the way our country has developed over the last 200 years. Itā€™s about a few states being kind of experiment states. So on that basis I am in favor of it.ā€

The former president further stated that he did not think the ending of prohibition would lead to a dramatic increase in use rates. He pointed to Portugal as a model example: ā€œAll drugs were decriminalized in Portugal a few years ago and the use of drugs has gone down dramatically and nobody has been put in prison.ā€

As President Obama and his Justice Department contemplate what, if any, action to take as a result of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington, we can only hope he listens to the wisdom from those who came before him. Recently, President Bill Clinton expressed his own dissatisfaction with the war on drugs, saying the anti-drug effort ā€œhasnā€™t workedā€ in a newly released documentary, Breaking the Taboo. ā€œWell obviously, if the expected results was that we would eliminate serious drug use in America and eliminate the narcotrafficking networks ā€” it hasnā€™t worked.ā€

ote="outwest, post: 969799, member: 34758"]Figure this will get all the Carter haters to crawl out of the woodwork. Saw the guy speak in college well after his presidential tenure, very smart and insightful.

outwest

As President Obama and his Justice Department contemplate what, if any, action to take as a result of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and Washington, we can only hope he listens to the wisdom from those who came before him. Recently, President Bill Clinton expressed his own dissatisfaction with the war on drugs, saying the anti-drug effort ā€œhasnā€™t workedā€ in a newly released documentary, Breaking the Taboo. ā€œWell obviously, if the expected results was that we would eliminate serious drug use in America and eliminate the narcotrafficking networks ā€” it hasnā€™t worked.ā€[/quote]
Eve

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

outwest
This. Of course, internationally there are very good reasons to not like Carter. Nancy..?

Mogrow

Mogrow

I'm a big Jimmy fan, give to his foundation about every year. they do some good things.
get a xmas yard every year from him, signed by jimmy and ros....

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

outwest
Which greenlighted coke smuggling via Contra movement/CIA. So much for your war on drugs, Ron & Nance

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Honestly I don't know why people don't like Carter. Most Americans Can't even remember 10 years ago let alone back in the late 70's and early 80's. I think the Man has Wisdom. Something a lot of political leaders lack.
Yessir.. he lifted the ban on homebrewing. Jimmy is a good 'ol boy ;)

Drifting13

Drifting13

Honestly I don't know why people don't like Carter. Most Americans Can't even remember 10 years ago let alone back in the late 70's and early 80's. I think the Man has Wisdom. Something a lot of political leaders lack.
He was my CIC while I was in the USAF. I have NO good memories of him or his politics.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Funny how they all turn into good guys AFTER they are out of office and cant do a damn thing about anything anyways?It only matters what you did when you were president not after.
I think he is a nice old man but as president he sucked balls and he is responsible for so many things its still costing us to this day.
  • Home -->
  • Articles
PRINT ARTICLE | | SHARE
May 25, 2007
Jimmy Carter Can Only Blame Himself
By Paul Miller
Jimmy Carter calling anyone else the worst president is like John Wayne Gacy calling a shoplifter a danger to society. The 39th President of the United States told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story that appeared in the newspaper's last Saturday,
"I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history."
Jimmy Carter conveniently hides the fact that he is directly responsible for much of the turmoil we see in the world today. Carter began directly meddling in Iranian Affairs after he took office in 1977. On New Years Eve of that year, President Carter toasted the Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, at a state dinner in Tehran, calling him "an island of stability" in the troubled Middle East. What the president also knew, but chose to ignore, was that the Shah was in serious trouble and his trip to Iran created anger toward the United States amongst the Iranian people.

When Carter became President he created a special Office of Human Rights which sent a letter to the Shah of Iran as a "polite reminder" of the importance of political rights and freedom. In response the Shah released over 350 Islamic fundamentalist prisoners who would later play roles in the Islamic Revolution and Iran Hostage crisis. Carter also ordered the Central Intelligence Agency to stop paying religious Mullahs over 4 million dollars in bribes. This monetary support was agreed upon, so the Mullahs would tone down their anti-Shah and anti-Western rhetoric.

The Shah ran a secular government and established excellent relations with the West, which included the recognition of the state of Israel. He also believed in the equality of woman which he expressed publicly in a Barbara Walters interview. These reasons were the heart and soul of the disdain the Mullahs had for him. The Shah was by no means perfect. His secret police force, SAVAK, was infamous for their torture methods. Ironically the fact the Shah ran his government as a dictatorship played a very limited role in his demise.

Facing an Islamic revolution, the Shah appealed to Carter for help. On November 4, 1978 U.S. National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski called the Shah and said the United States would "back him to the hilt." This would never be the case. Brzezinski insisted to Carter that the U.S. must encourage the Shah to "brutally suppress the revolution". State Department officials believed Carter should reach out to the Revolutionaries in order to smooth the transition to a new government. This was a deciding moment in world history. Carter decided not to take either recommendation and to this very day, the world is suffering the consequences of his indecisiveness.

Weeks before Grand Ayatollah Khomeni came to power. The Shah fled the country for Egypt. However, when it became known the severity of the cancer he was suffering, Carter chose the humanitarian route and permitted him entrance into the U.S. for medical treatment. "He went around the room, and most of us said, 'Let him in.'" recalls Vice President Walter Mondale. "'If the Iranians take our employees in our embassy hostage, then what would be your advice?' And the room just fell dead. No one had an answer to that. Turns out, we never did."

When the Grand Ayatollah took power in February of 1979, the Shah held over 3,000 political prisoners, most of them spies or informants for the neighboring Soviet Union. The Ayatollah did not release them as the world expected. He deemed them "godless Communists" and placed them up against walls alongside more than 20,000 pro-Western Iranians and murdered them all by firing squads. Women were sent back into servitude. Citizens were arrested for owning satellite dishes and viewing Western programs. And, of course, American diplomats were taken hostage.

Carter's indecisiveness and incompetence became obvious to the rest of the World. The Soviet Union took great advantage of having Carter in the Oval Office. The Communist country invaded eastern neighbor Afghanistan, beginning an attempted power grab aimed at eventual Soviet takeovers in Iran and Pakistan. Carter's response to the invasion of Afghanistan was the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Olympic games held in Moscow. Need I say anymore?

History tells us that the Afghanistan fighters (Mujahideen) held their own against the Soviet invasion. Muslim extremists, including Osama Bin Laden, became warriors with great experience in strategic planning and sabotage. More importantly they now had confidence after defeating a Superpower. Sound familiar?

Also resulting from Carter's abandonment of the Shah was the Iran-Iraq war, which would have never occurred if the Shah remained in power. Over a half million people died during that war, including thousands of Iranians from Sadam Hussein chemical weapons. Hussein continued building his military to avoid future land attacks, which would become the cornerstone for his 1990 invasion of Kuwait. This of course became Desert Storm.

The aftermath of Jimmy Carter's Iran policy debacle is still present today. The lives lost, as a result of his incompetence in dealing with Iran before, during and after the Islamic Revolution is far greater than the current turmoil in Iraq. Considering the support insurgents groups in Iraq as well as terrorist organizations such as Hamas and Hezbollah get from Iran, Carter's mistakes as President are still costing lives all over the Middle East.

Maybe it's an Iranian supplied artillery shell used by Hezbollah to attack Israel. Or an Iraqi insurgent trained by Iran to make bombs. We must not forget the seemingly endless supply of suicide bombers in Osama Bin Laden's, Al Qeada network. The fact is that these murderers and countless others like them exist today, not because George Bush made mistakes in Iraq, but because Jimmy Carter failed in Iran as well as turning U.S. foreign policy into a doormat for anyone to step on.

President Carter, if you want to place blame, just look in the mirror.

K

kolah

I agree FH and I really don'r give a poop about what opinions he now has...mj included. I don't need any endorsements from these bums.

dirk d

dirk d

First off the iranian situation is NOT JC's fault. He may have not made all the right decisions but let's get this straight people. The CIA has been f'ing with Iran since the 1950's when they overthrew the Democratically Elected Iranian Government. Result was reinstating the Shah. The Shah had the SAVOK, basically Iranian CIA(trained and setup by CIA), and they killed and tortured a lot of people.

What do you think happens to the family of those murdered and tortured Iranians?? they get upset and never forget, as i'm sure any of us would. The people in the Embassy were taken so they would not instigate another Coup. Those people were NOT Innocent Americans like everyone thinks but CIA agents.

Saddam Hussein was backed by US and European Powers. Given massive amounts of weapons to fight Iran. Which they tried to Invade in the early 80's after the Revolution. Saddam used chemical weapons given to him by US and France amongst other European Powers.

I'm not the same person I was even 10 years ago. Carter was president in late 70's early 80's. I have made many mistakes. I'm sure there are many perfect people here so please speak up if you're perfect.

The US or any Country does not have ANY right to f*** with any other country. Blowback is the result of messing with others and until we realize that every other nation has a sovereign right to rule themselves then we will see Hatred.

Also one man's Terrorist is anothers' Freedom Fighter. Try and put yourself in others shoes before calling someone a terrorist or sponsor of terrorism. If your brother or father or son or mother or sister is murdered what would you do?? how bout your entire family is murdered?? maybe you only lose your legs or an arm..what then?? and then you hear that you're a terrorist..

Terrorism : Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.

"Criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstance unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or any other nature that may be invoked to justify them."

Even though there is no agreed upon definition of terrorism you can clearly see that the US is one of the biggest terrorists in the world. As are the remaining (4) permanent members of the UN.

Top Bottom