Journal: Growing again after 27 years

• Thread starter BillyBanchan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BillyBanchan

Hello all!

My last grow was in 1996... Things have changed a bit 😂 since then.

Then it was a cedar closet, 400HPS, soil in 5 gal buckets with organic fertilizers. Now I'm finally getting around to hydroponics. We are working towards a goal of producing 100% of our veggies at home, so this will be a great and useful journey.

Feel free to comment, ask, and hang out here!

GG4 autoflower from ILGM (20 seeds)

Germination:
Soaked in cup of water at 82-85° until they sink (3 to 6 hours). Then placed in between damp paper towels, inside plates, and kept at 78-82° until .5 inch radicle. Seeds were planted dimple down directly in final pots.

Medium:
MotherEarth coco/perlite 70/30. Also added more perlite to about a 60/40 mix.

Outdoor:
5 gallon fabric pot is a mix of potting soil, perlite, and dirt from gate post hole. This is basically a fuck-it-all experiment for fun. Will feed by hand after first week or two.

Indoor:
9 pot ebb and flow setup in 5 gallon fabric pots. Planning for SoG with LST.

Nutrients:
GH Flora 3 part series plus calmag

Water:
Sourced from our spring and filtered to 30 microns (fine silt). This water has a pH of 6.95 and an EC of .03 millisiemens (30ppm). No treatment other than filtering.

Equipment:
Marshydro 5x5 tent with MH FC-6500 LED, 6in fan/filter, 2 small circulation fans, and temp/humidity monitoring at intake, canopy, tent ceiling, and pot-floor level.

Notes:
Went from seed direct to final pot. Lights are on 20/4 schedule.

Targets:

Light (20/4}:
Seedlings 200–300 μmol m2s
Vegetative 500-600 μmol m2s
Flowering 600-700 μmol m2s

pH:
Seedlings 6.2 / 6-6.4
Vegetative 6.0 / 5.8-6.2
Flowering 6.2 / 6-6.4

EC:
Seedlings 400-500μ siemens (micro)
Early Vegetative 1100-1400μs
Late Vegetative 1200-1500μs
Early Flowering 1100-1400μs
Late Flowering 1300-1600μs
Ripen 800-1000μs
Flush 0-200μs
((Example: 500μs = .5 millisiemens))

9 Pot setup:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
(front)

May 26, 2023 - 1100:
Germinated 10 GG4 autos (9 for tent, 1 for outdoor but I stupidly lost that one while unfolding the paper towels outside, in the dark 🫤) all 10 seeds germinated quickly.

May 27, 2023 - 1500:
1-9 planted with GG4 autos
Lights at top, ~250 mols

May 28, 2023 - 0930:
Started soaking 1 seed to replac
e the lost one from last night (outdoor pot)

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Hello all!

My last grow was in 1996... Things have changed a bit 😂 since then.

Then it was a cedar closet, 400HPS, soil in 5 gal buckets with organic fertilizers. Now I'm finally getting around to hydroponics. We are working towards a goal of producing 100% of our veggies at home, so this will be a great and useful journey.

Feel free to comment, ask, and hang out here!

GG4 autoflower from ILGM (20 seeds)

Germination:
Soaked in cup of water at 82-85° until they sink (3 to 6 hours). Then placed in between damp paper towels, inside plates, and kept at 78-82° until .5 inch radicle. Seeds were planted dimple down directly in final pots.

Medium:
MotherEarth coco/perlite 70/30. Also added more perlite to about a 60/40 mix.

Outdoor:
5 gallon fabric pot is a mix of potting soil, perlite, and dirt from gate post hole. This is basically a fuck-it-all experiment for fun. Will feed by hand after first week or two.

Indoor:
9 pot ebb and flow setup in 5 gallon fabric pots. Planning for SoG with LST.

Nutrients:
GH Flora 3 part series plus calmag

Water:
Sourced from our spring and filtered to 30 microns (fine silt). This water has a pH of 6.95 and an EC of .03 millisiemens (30ppm). No treatment other than filtering.

Equipment:
Marshydro 5x5 tent with MH FC-6500 LED, 6in fan/filter, 2 small circulation fans, and temp/humidity monitoring at intake, canopy, tent ceiling, and pot-floor level.

Notes:
Went from seed direct to final pot. Lights are on 20/4 schedule.

Targets:

Light (20/4}:
Seedlings 200–300 μmol m2s
Vegetative 500-600 μmol m2s
Flowering 600-700 μmol m2s

pH:
Seedlings 6.2 / 6-6.4
Vegetative 6.0 / 5.8-6.2
Flowering 6.2 / 6-6.4

EC:
Seedlings 400-500μ siemens (micro)
Early Vegetative 1100-1400μs
Late Vegetative 1200-1500μs
Early Flowering 1100-1400μs
Late Flowering 1300-1600μs
Ripen 800-1000μs
Flush 0-200μs
((Example: 500μs = .5 millisiemens))

9 Pot setup:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
(front)

May 26, 2023 - 1100:
Germinated 10 GG4 autos (9 for tent, 1 for outdoor but I stupidly lost that one while unfolding the paper towels outside, in the dark 🫤) all 10 seeds germinated quickly.

May 27, 2023 - 1500:
1-9 planted with GG4 autos
Lights at top, ~250 mols

May 28, 2023 - 0930:
Started soaking 1 seed to replac
e the lost one from last night (outdoor pot)
You will be hand feeding fertigation? How many times per day?

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Asking because your feed chart strength is good for 3-5x irrigation events per day, microdosing crop steering style.

If you will be hand watering 1x per day you could up those strengths.
If one feeding per day go with 30% runoff everytime and drain the runoff to waste.

This thread has some further guidance:

Cheers

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Dude......same here. I'm ready to flower my first run since '93 or '94. I had a 400w Metal Halide in a closet and ordered seeds from Neville's seed bank. I won't get into it all here on your thread, you can read my journal thread if you want.......looking forward to watching how things go. My best advice is to have fun. Chances are you'll make some mistakes, just trust yourself, and you got a whole lot of experienced growers here for support.

B

BillyBanchan

Asking because your feed chart strength is good for 3-5x irrigation events per day, microdosing crop steering style.

If you will be hand watering 1x per day you could up those strengths.
If one feeding per day go with 30% runoff everytime and drain the runoff to waste.

This thread has some further guidance:

Cheers

Good catch! I failed to mention a key part... This is an ebb and flow system (60 gal reservoir).

So, yes... Fertigating multiple times per day, depending on plant needs and stage of growth.

Thank you for the heads up!

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Good catch! I failed to mention a key part... This is an ebb and flow system (60 gal reservoir).

So, yes... Fertigating multiple times per day, depending on plant needs and stage of growth.

Nice! They gonna explode in grow I'm sure heheheh
Watching the progress!

B

BillyBanchan

Two quick pics...

20230528 141824 polarr

20230528 141832 polarr

B

BillyBanchan

Dude......same here. I'm ready to flower my first run since '93 or '94. I had a 400w Metal Halide in a closet and ordered seeds from Neville's seed bank. I won't get into it all here on your thread, you can read my journal thread if you want.......looking forward to watching how things go. My best advice is to have fun. Chances are you'll make some mistakes, just trust yourself, and you got a whole lot of experienced growers here for support.
Ahh cool... I'm heading over to check it out.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter

Fertigation. Oh yeah......

B

BillyBanchan

You're a glutton for punishment......
I survived the trip! 😀

Pretty crazy the similarities of our histories... Down to the HT mags!

I had planned to breed and work some strains, but the wife got pregnant (it was mine!) and I got a real job... <Insert sad sob story of adulthood here>

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I survived the trip! 😀

Pretty crazy the similarities of our histories... Down to the HT mags!

I had planned to breed and work some strains, but the wife got pregnant (it was mine!) and I got a real job... <Insert sad sob story of adulthood here>
Yep. While I had stopped growing by '94, our son was born a few years later.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I just saw this auto thread: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/so-what-are-peoples-thoughts-on-autos.149193/

Gosh, in my hasty return to growing it seems that I've made two big boos boos... Growing autos and buying the seeds from ILGM! 🤣🤣🤣

Figured this reply would be fun to revisit in a few months.
Don't worry about things........it's often the bad stuff that gets highlighted and talked about. There are many people who've had great success with autos. If you can tweak a few things that give them what they want (they don't tend to like being transplanted being one of them), you'll have success. You'll find plenty of threads showing really nice autos with fat resin-y buds. And don't worry about where your seeds came from. Either you'll really dig the results, or some of them, or you'll spend the time of 1 grow learning who has some of the best seeds, and which companies are going to be a one-off for you. Let the results you see for yourself guide you. There will always be time to get some fire seeds of some of the latest strains, hybrids, even heirloom and landrace varieties which is what I have my sights set on.

You're bringing some solid knowledge. There are things you're doing that I'm very shakey about. EC for instance. That's something I need to learn more about.

Last edited:
jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Nice my friend. There's a large number of geriatric growers here, myself included. So many similarities in our background and in our grow style. Thought I was the only one left running F/D, like your style. I've got GG4 from ILGM and it's my workhorse, proven itself crop after crop. I tried a crop of auto's, went south but the was my fault not the plants.

Look forward to seeing it grow!

jj

B

BillyBanchan

Nice my friend. There's a large number of geriatric growers here, myself included. So many similarities in our background and in our grow style. Thought I was the only one left running F/D, like your style. I've got GG4 from ILGM and it's my workhorse, proven itself crop after crop. I tried a crop of auto's, went south but the was my fault not the plants.

Look forward to seeing it grow!

jj

Right on jj and thanks for the reassurance in your successes with the beans and the method.

It took me about 3 months of studying to bone up and get caught up with the times before soaking a seed. The design and building phase is my favorite part almost.

Top Bottom