Journal: Growing again after 27 years

• Thread starter BillyBanchan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Nice my friend. There's a large number of geriatric growers here, myself included. So many similarities in our background and in our grow style. Thought I was the only one left running F/D, like your style. I've got GG4 from ILGM and it's my workhorse, proven itself crop after crop. I tried a crop of auto's, went south but the was my fault not the plants.

Look forward to seeing it grow!

jj
There's someone in another thread growing a GG auto in a greenhouse, there's a picture of it. The thing looks like one of those rare Thai or Himilayan landraces the buds are so light and so whispy, you'd think for sure the dark cycle was interrupted, but they said that didn't happen. We were kind of left with the genetics being poor. I forget exactly where they got it from.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Right on jj and thanks for the reassurance in your successes with the beans and the method.

It took me about 3 months of studying to bone up and get caught up with the times before soaking a seed. The design and building phase is my favorite part almost.
I spent about 10 hours studying LEDs and making my decision. I spent about a month studying up on seeds companies, breeders, genetics.......some of that time was trying to see if I could find some of the "old school" strains. Skunk #1, Northern Lights, Big Bud......abd then learning more about heirloom and landrace varieties. All in all it was a few months, but I had to empty and get the closet ready, electrical work, a water line, buy pots, soil, additions......

Even when I finally chose which seeds I was going to start with (the rest went in the fridge with moisture paks) and started popping them, I was still putting things together, putting the lights up, wheely carts. I probably dragged things on 6 weeks longer than I should have. I should easily be in the 2nd half of flowering now but I'm flipping tomorrow.

But it's ok. Things go at tye pace they go. If I scrambled and rushed it either wouldn't be fun, or I would have made more mistakes. And I got all of this done and out of the way with my first grow. It should only get better and more efficient from here.

B

BillyBanchan

Screenshot 20230529 204040

7 of 9 are up!

B

BillyBanchan

Pot #9's seed came up without a head. #freak-o-rama

20230531 075829

But! The one bean I thought I lost (for an outdoor pot) was found! It must have flicked out of the paper towel and landed between the coco and fabric pot. I dug it out and stuck it in pot #9.

It was already "lost" so, no biggie if it fails to grow.

B

BillyBanchan

it will go surely, already getting rid of the helmet hehehe

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Screenshot 20230531 144440

Well, they are weeds FFS. I'm super happy this one is recovering so quickly. I mean, I wasn't gentle with moving it into this pot.

The helmet is gone; did it's job.

Screenshot 20230531 143953

Screenshot 20230531 144043

Amazing... You can see the cotyledon outline in the husk. Beautiful, actually.

B

BillyBanchan

100% germination rate so far... 11 in a row.

I'm looking for a fogger/humidifier. VPD is something I'm keen to keep in check.

Over the next grows I hope to experiment with holding ideal VPD along different parts of the curve in an effort to discover some benefit(s).

I'll be filling the reservoir soon! I presoaked the pots and all 9 held 15 gallons. I started with 50gal and two quick floods later was left with 35gal.

And the medium is holding the moisture nicely without compaction. Going direct to final pot isn't a big deal so far and I certainly put the time in to prepare and execute.

Fertigation coming soon!

Stay tuned here for "featurettes" of the one outdoor pot. 🌱

B

BillyBanchan

Updates:

June 2, 2023:
Filled res with 30gals water for fertigation.
30 gallons = 113.5 liters

June 3, 2023 1130:
Water temp, pH, EC:
69.5 ° / 6.8 pH / 30μs/sec

Feed amounts:

Armor Si: 15ml (.125 ml/L) (1/2 of mild )

CalMg: 30ml (1ml/G) (1/2 strength)

GH Flora 3 part weekly, medium feed:

Micro: 1ml/G - 30ml total

Bloom: 1ml/G - 30ml total

Gro: 1ml/G - 30ml total

Mixing order:
Armor Si
CalMg
Micro
Bloom
Grow

Added 10ml of pH down (lucky guess to get to 6.1) ***That's 10ml per 30 gallons to go down .9***

Final temp, pH, EC:

69.5° / 6.1 pH / 425μs/sec

----

Set lights to 18/6 (off midnight, on 0600) - decided against 20/4 schedule.

Relocated exhaust fan temp controller outside the tent. Limits are 79° / 65%
Humidity reads 3% high on this controller and is set accordingly.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
one tip I learned here from the Farm, I believe @Aquaman was the source. Ph adjust your water prior to adding nutes. Made a big difference

jj

B

BillyBanchan

one tip I learned here from the Farm, I believe @Aquaman was the source. Ph adjust your water prior to adding nutes. Made a big difference

jj

I just read that an hour or two ago! Amazing info. 👍🏻

Mistakes so far:

- Not presoaking with pH adjusted water.

- Waiting too long to feed.

- Taking too long to narrow the swings in VPD.

Always learning!

B

BillyBanchan

Current concerns:

- Thin red-ish stems, but sturdy and (now) improving a little.

- Slow growth (also now improving a little)

- #8 has good turgor and it's leaves are perpendicular to the light. 1-6 and 8 have slightly drooping leaves, no curl though.

- #7 was the #freak-o-rama and is green, but still a crumpled little freak. What will it do?

B

BillyBanchan

This is my one outdoor pot. Happy little bugger:

20230604 1014372

A bit droopy:

20230604 142416

20230604 142422

Freak! It just may make it!

20230604 1422372

Currently (and finally stable):

Screenshot 20230604 142637

Overall, cotyledons are looking better (got dark blue and curled under), and overall looks are better for them all now that I've pulled a small part of my head out of my ass.

B

BillyBanchan

Unrelated to Cannabis...

This is Common Jewelweed, growing hydroponically in a little stream near me.

This spring-fed stream is where I get my water... pH is 6.95, and EC is .05 (yes, POINT 05) or 50μs/sec. The salamanders (some rare!) thrive here which is a great indicator of water quality.

Beautiful, this planet is.

Screenshot 20230606 091000

Top Bottom