jumping microscopic bugs

• Thread starter tattoojim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Odd... maybe it's just me, but I found the pre-98 Bubba cut I have to be very easy to grow and not very picky at all. Same with Loran's Orange Kush, and even more so with the Orange Krush (that girl is super easy to grow for her Cali O-ishness).

Wow, you are special. I am so impressed. That really helps out..

M

MIway

seamaiden...so what you are sayn is that springtails dont turn in to flyers.. if i took a pic of the duct tape all you would see is the tape cause i dont have a camera good enough to show them on the tape... the sticky trap is a refrence to the flyers..im positive they are springtails. looked at them with a microscope i bought to peep out trics. i came to the farm cause i was told the people here are more respectful . pic me apart if you like..i hate typing and love growing...these bugs have caused me to type way more than i like too.

I agree w SM... springtails don't really fly... they hop... have this arm/appendage on the underside of their belly, which can barely be seen at 30x mag. Funny how such a small thing can cause them to hop over a foot into the air.

Really, they aren't doing anything bad to your plants... they eat beneficial & bad fungi... plus I suspect other bio additives.

And they breed... by the dozens, to hundreds, to thousands. Purely an annoyance.

T

tattoojim

to clear this up for everybody. i have figured out that i have more than one type of bug infestation. at the start of this thread i thought that the springtails were the flying gnat in adult form. but now iknow that im breeding more than one type. gonna keep banging away at them. wished i had a good camera so i could show how many i caught on the duct tape. oh and the other one is the fungus gnat. ive only seen one worm looking larve.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Jim, yes, that's what I'm saying. They're more akin to, say... pinchbugs, in that they tend to always be around when there's decaying stuff and good soil. They are reported to be problematic if numbers grow excessive. Also, once a springtail (what you see), to the best of my knowledge, always a springtail.

The stuff you have pictured on the yellow sticky tape, those are something else. And if you've got phantom deficiencies and other weirdnesses that aren't easily corrected, consider root aphids. Ugh.

LS, I apologize for that comment, as I said in my rep, I was reading two threads on the pre-98 at the same time. Hopefully someone has found other aspects of my post a little more helpful than you did.

T

tattoojim

here is a update for you guys.. the plants in the veg room has had a dramatic change. couple of days ago i gave them a dose of spectreciede,superthrive,and some jacks allpurpose fert. wow there is like 3inchs of nice green new growth. in the flowerroom the girls are tryn to fight back but i need to pick up some azamax or something. starting to look up tho. thanks for the help guys..+rep

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks for the confirmation tattoojim. kinda had a feeling some gnat might be hanging out but no way to tell.

Really glad

LS, I apologize for that comment, as I said in my rep, I was reading two threads on the pre-98 at the same time. Hopefully someone has found other aspects of my post a little more helpful than you did.

no need! I got a kick out of it. I was suprised there was not any mention of root aphids.

And if you've got phantom deficiencies and other weirdnesses that aren't easily corrected, consider root aphids. Ugh.
There we go, the root aphids. That may give the wrong impressions to beginners.

in case it is not obvious, Your problems and successes are not the same as others.

taken at face value may not give the best impression.

your smart and know how to help, but please think about both points of view.

You frequently post about root aphids and even using poison to kill them. obviously it is a problem for you. but many time the topic/problem is not root aphids.

DO you realize posters read that and then COULD buy some poison and treat there plants for root aphids
?

someone could have a deficiency that is truly a deficiency and then could waste time money and potentially cause harm. I do not think you intertion is for that to happen. just trying to point out something you may not realize.

I find gnats (and other pests) are way more common that root aphids and that is being seem and mis-interpeted as a reason to use poisons that are not needed.

try to look at both points of view.

a beginner that knows nothing, vs a expert.

please think about it. no offense is intended.

peace love and please do not promote poison/pesticides miticides/fungicides that are not needed.

-lead

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You know, lead, I work very hard at wording things in such a manner as to not give wrong impressions or be misleading. I made one statement about the phantom deficiencies because, while you may not realize it, a LOT of people are now experiencing infestations of these things and in numbers/at a frequency rate I sure hadn't expected or appreciated until after visiting a few operations that all had signs.

But to extrapolate from the mere mention of possibilities to be considered with telling people outright that they need to dose their plants with whatever treatment is not only highly presumptive on your part, but wrong. I made one quick mention, and that was because of the sticky tape photo I looked at, and because it bears mentioning IMO. Would you suggest that I simply keep it to myself? And if so, for what reason? Please demonstrate where I said any type of 'cide was the automatic answer.

You may not realize it based on what I post here, either, but I come from the position that dictates letting these things live unless or until they're determined absolutely to be detrimental.

So, here TJ doses with several things, including Spectracide and that was not based upon my recommendation. I wouldn't recommend killing springtails and haven't. But, after dosing with the concoction a rather significant 'improvement' is seen despite no complaints that the plants are stalled in growth or anything like that.
I'm not sure how that puts me as being responsible for his actions or the actions of others, here or anywhere else.

T

tattoojim

my concoction of chems had nothing to do with what one person said here, my girlfriend and i both did a lot of research and reading in threads and otherwise, got a lot of people's opinions, etc...after trying many things, we've finally figured out what kind of bugs we have, and in reducing their numbers/adding root boosting nutes we've finally seen an improvement, and though we realize the individual types of insects we have are not entirely harmful themselves, we do have a massive population of at least 2 different kinds of pest, but we also realize we have soil issues as well. But, with all that said, there are people who will blindly dose their plants because they saw something just mentioned as a possibility, but i wouldn't blame the person who mentioned the possibility over the person whose responisility it is to take care of their plants. and for what it's worth, i definitely appreciate the advice/debate/suggestions for solutions, but that is because it gives me more things to research as far as possibilities, not because i blindly accept all suggestions as legitimate verdicts.

Thanks for all input :)

T

Toes

springtails... are they fast too?

like super crawly fast, I'm asking because I picked up a non- cannabis plant (a Tom Carruth bred Weeks Rose called the Be-Bop) it was at this nursery for a couple of years and when I brought it home it had thousands of white bugs, similar to the picture, speed crawling around the root mass... I mean fast. when I tryed to touch them is when they jumped. I just power sprayed the existing medium off the roots (hopefully along with all those critters) and Bonzai style transplanted into a new medium. A Google search turned up plant lice. But, those are found on the foliage right, not the roots.

T

tattoojim

toes... springtails seem to be pretty comon..dont let them fuckers around your girls. and yes they move very fast if there not jumping around.

baaka_san

baaka_san

i found this at home depot and want to know if it is ok to use?

baaka_san

baaka_san

i found the answer.. nvm and sorry for the intrusion. :passingjoint:

What would Tanglefoot do for fungus gnats? The larvae are down in the roots, the adults are flying around. None of them are crawling up the stalk. (I know, saw it, been wondering about it, now I've gotta ask.)

DON'T use pool filter DE! It turns to a sludge that will suffocate your plants. I tried this, it does *not* work.

Root drench with Azamax/Azatrol is what I've finally settled on for control because fungus gnats are always around up here (killed my philodendron, little sons of bitches). Outside of that, a thick layer of sand on the soil surface actually does very well, if you're growing in soil.

T

tattoojim

wow about the time my plants need watered again,they start showing that the bugs are not gone. this is gonna take awhile...i feel like if i was growing hydro style. this bug problem would have never happened.

B

brookstown

actually I've heard that those particular springtails are great for soil. Esp is you recycle coco. They eat decaying matter and release bene bacteria in their poop. I've got some Kens GDP in some recoco, and the ones with the healthy numbers look best, (not infestation numbers but a few.) my 2 cents.

T

tattoojim

actually I've heard that those particular springtails are great for soil. Esp is you recycle coco. They eat decaying matter and release bene bacteria in their poop. I've got some Kens GDP in some recoco, and the ones with the healthy numbers look best, (not infestation numbers but a few.) my 2 cents.

im still fightn with a infestation and some other problems. imo no f n bugs in the garden is the way to have it. i think the start of my grow falling to shit was the bugs. i seen large numbers so i try to fight back and my plants have got non stop punishment from all the stuff ive tryd to kill these bugs. and punishment from pests too.

T

tattoojim

been bringing in new soil and dosing with spectrecide still, im see n a drop in gnats and spring tails.. i still have some plants in flower that are in old soil. these plant are still showing signs of stress cause im not treating these girls. every thing in veg is do n great no signs of stress..

Top Bottom