just a quick question on bulbs

• Thread starter wambam123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wambam123

wambam123

are mh bulbs for vegging plants and hps for flowering, if i have a 600w ballast can both mh and hps bulbs be used?

C

cway

Yes and No

Mh is for Vegging, Keep NOdes tighter and keeps plant from stretching

HPS for flowering

Only if you have a switchable ballast can you use both bulbs.. Other wise you need to stick to what the ballast is.

S

ScrogaholiC

there are some MH bulbs out wich you can use with your normal HPS ballast ;)

K

KingCrimson

theyre called conversion bulbs I believe, just pop em into any appropriate balast.

first link for googling conversion MH

thanks again c

B

British_Hempire

Most ballasts these days will run MH or HPS, all the ones I've had in the last 5 years, which is 7, have done.

hubcap

hubcap

^^thats good to know

ive never had the stones to try it.

prolly still wont but good ta know i wont send the tent into orbit.
tks.

C

cway

prolly still wont but good ta know i wont send the tent into orbit.
tks.

Yeah I second that... Its messed up that the companies that make ballast charge you extra for "Switchable Ballast " when they are really capable of both bulbs..

hubcap

hubcap

i think i would, cway, have a better understanding of it all, if someone laid it out, in stoner terms, what 'exactly' happens when a bulb (MH and HPS) sparks and ignites.

because if its as simple as only applying the correct voltage to the bulb...than any bulb will work with any matched wattage ballasts. in theory, of course.

where i get fuzzy, is what exactly happens when the ballast discharges those fat capacitors and the charge is sent "down the line" if you will.
"what exactly happens in the bulb that requires a 'special ballast?" i guess would be a better question?

can any fellow farmer expand?

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
just a note on 600w bulbs- I have heard of 600w MH bulbs but never seen them. There must be some scientific reason, but only MH bulbs that are available for 600w ballast are conversion bulbs...

jb

R

Rural_GrowOp

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that the only difference is that an hps bulb needs a starter cap and a mh doesn't. I have a friend that converter an old hps ballast to mh and it works pretty well.

thesoftdrugbaron

thesoftdrugbaron

just a note on 600w bulbs- I have heard of 600w MH bulbs but never seen them. There must be some scientific reason, but only MH bulbs that are available for 600w ballast are conversion bulbs...

jb

sun master make 600 m.h .... and there good.. and all other wattages are available to.

i grow with the white light ,and bloom with a mix,[ E.G .. running 4x600wt sodium .. i run 1 x600 m.h in the middle to give you a nice mix.].+ and bit more wattage

but you can also use sodium light all the way throo..

SDB :icon_cookie:

N

n0dn4rb

Yep RG you are right. The only difference between the two ballast systems is the HPS ballast requires an Ignitor or starter and the MH doesn't. I have converted many ballasts and that's all that's needed to convert the two.

Hope that helps

hubcap

hubcap

lemme throw a question into the ring?

who has used cermaic metal halides? and are they worth getting them?

thanks guys. sorry ta interrupt. wanted ta get some 'non biased' opinions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom