Just found some pests need help identifying

• Thread starter Growguy1254
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growguy1254

Growguy1254

Found a lot of bugs in my soil. Quite a few jumping but then theres these that look like spiders. I'm growing indoor hps and using soil. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks heaps.

Just found some pests need help identifying
Just found some pests need help identifying 2
Just found some pests need help identifying 3
Wolfe

Wolfe

Are they jumping all around your soil?
The one kinda looks like a spider mite. But most every plant is going to have some kind of bugs on it. Is it building webs? The jumping ones could be beneficial to the soil. I’ve had them before. Bothered me to see but they were harmless and were good for the soil apparently. I would watch the ones on the leaves closely. Make sure they don’t grow in population and start building webs.

Last edited:
Growguy1254

Growguy1254

Nope no webs. It's only on the container and yeah some bugs are jumping in the second set of pictures but the first set spider looking ones arent

Growguy1254

Growguy1254

None on the leaves only on the container and in the soil. Really scary seeing like 1 a week ago and now theres a whole ecosystem of them. Almost looks like the spider creatures are eating the little jumping ones.

Wolfe

Wolfe

I edited my first post sorry about that. Other people on here may be able to identify exactly what bugs those are.

Wolfe

Wolfe

The ones that jump could be springtails. They eat mostly mold, fungus, and dead material in your soil.

Wolfe

Wolfe

So there are predatory mites
to springtails and this is one of them killing one.

BB74DEE4 C07A 4411 8BDD 9FE1852538DA
Growguy1254

Growguy1254

Theres no real issues with my plants other than some nitrogen deficiency which I have cleared up. Only just really noticed all the bugs

Organikz

Organikz

Those are beneficial predatory mites known as hypoaspis miles. They eat fungus gnat larvae and springtails along with other soil dwelling pests. Fox farms and other companies add them to their soil to combat fungus gnats.

Growguy1254

Growguy1254

Those are beneficial predatory mites known as hypoaspis miles. They eat fungus gnat larvae and springtails along with other soil dwelling pests. Fox farms and other companies add them to their soil to combat fungus gnats.
Is that in response to my pictures? If so that's great to hear thanks heaps everyone for your response

Organikz

Organikz

Is that in response to my pictures? If so that's great to hear thanks heaps everyone for your response
You're good man. Now I will say their proliferation is an indicator that their prey is proliferating. Keep an eye out for fungus gnats just to be safe and adjust watering habits. I have Afghans that go 12 days no water. They actually grow more vigorously like that.

Top Bottom