Just needing a little bit if help in coco medium

• Thread starter Deforced
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deforced

Deforced

Hi, I've started to have some deficiencies with my plants, I'm actually in a flood and drain iws system so flooding from the bottom of the pots and then returning to the feed tank. My question is, I've pulled one sick plant out of the pot and tested runoff, ph is 5.8 going in and coming out at 6.1 so I'm assuming the ph is fine. Next I tested the runoff off EC. EC going in is my tap water at 0.5ec and coming out is 1.6ec. Now I'm assuming with the runoff EC coming out so high that might be the problem. Can anyone let me know what's the best way to flush in this system as the plants are huge so it would be a nightmare flushing from the top of the pots. Is this still classed as flushing? Filling up the res with plain tap water which is 0.5EC and ph at 5.8 and flooding the system. I remembered people saying to never flush with just water in coco but with the EC being so high and its a returning flood and drain the EC keeps going up after a flood when it's returned back to the res. Would you now dump this water in the res or keep flooding with the same water? Any help would be highly appreciated I'm just stuck on this flushing topic with me being in a flood and drain iws system. Thanks

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Hi, I've started to have some deficiencies with my plants, I'm actually in a flood and drain iws system so flooding from the bottom of the pots and then returning to the feed tank. My question is, I've pulled one sick plant out of the pot and tested runoff, ph is 5.8 going in and coming out at 6.1 so I'm assuming the ph is fine. Next I tested the runoff off EC. EC going in is my tap water at 0.5ec and coming out is 1.6ec. Now I'm assuming with the runoff EC coming out so high that might be the problem. Can anyone let me know what's the best way to flush in this system as the plants are huge so it would be a nightmare flushing from the top of the pots. Is this still classed as flushing? Filling up the res with plain tap water which is 0.5EC and ph at 5.8 and flooding the system. I remembered people saying to never flush with just water in coco but with the EC being so high and its a returning flood and drain the EC keeps going up after a flood when it's returned back to the res. Would you now dump this water in the res or keep flooding with the same water? Any help would be highly appreciated I'm just stuck on this flushing topic with me being in a flood and drain iws system. Thanks
You are seeing some of what I have been experiencing in coco as well - big increase in runoff EC after flowering. The only way I've got it to come down where I want it has been to both increase watering frequency and lower input EC as well.

For whatever reason, salts are building up in your pots. I think in part because a flood and drain system (from the bottom) isn't recommended for coco.

Try this: Get a watering can and put 1-2 gallons of feed through each pot from the top, being careful to spread the water evenly. Measure that runoff. Repeat until the runoff EC comes down, but don't just dump the runoff back into the reservoir. At least dilute it back to the intended EC level with some RO water.

Also, post some pictures. With your EC level it seems more likely you would have an overdose than a deficiency, but perhaps your coco needs more cal/mag if it has been absorbing it.

Deforced

Deforced

You are seeing some of what I have been experiencing in coco as well - big increase in runoff EC after flowering. The only way I've got it to come down where I want it has been to both increase watering frequency and lower input EC as well.

For whatever reason, salts are building up in your pots. I think in part because a flood and drain system (from the bottom) isn't recommended for coco.

Try this: Get a watering can and put 1-2 gallons of feed through each pot from the top, being careful to spread the water evenly. Measure that runoff. Repeat until the runoff EC comes down, but don't just dump the runoff back into the reservoir. At least dilute it back to the intended EC level with some RO water.

Also, post some pictures. With your EC level it seems more likely you would have an overdose than a deficiency, but perhaps your coco needs more cal/mag if it has been absorbing it.
Thanks for your reply. What I will do when I get back home is upload a few photos to show you what the plants look like. Some of them look healthy but just starting to show some lime green in colour whereas others are in a really bad way. I will have to get a watering can and see how that does too.

Deforced

Deforced

20220409 143214

20220409 143208
20220409 143158
20220409 143150
20220409 143145
20220409 143140
20220409 143132
20220409 143125
20220409 143120
20220409 143100
20220409 143107
20220409 143114
Deforced

Deforced

Hi guys, I've posted all these photos am I right in thinking it's a calcium deficiency? My light are far away if not too far really but I'm thinking calmag deficiency? I've treated with 15ml calmag to 1litre as foliar application and started feeding 1.0ec. Do you think that's the correct thing to do? Many thanks

Deforced

Deforced

New growth, also the stems have started to turn purple.
20220409 161555

Deforced

Deforced

I do quite a long vegetative stage, it always seems to happen later in veg, they are fine for around 7weeks from germination, I then move into the flood and drain system, they are absolutely fine for a few weeks then start to show a deficiency. I'm hoping I can get this sorted so I can put them into flower.
This is my setup,
2.4x2.4x3m room
4 x 600w has light
Humidity is around 50%
I did feed a little high at first 1.4ec as it crept up a little but flushed and now feeding low strength 1.0ec.
I've dropped the additives out to make it as simple as possible until I've found the problem.
I'm using canna a + b
Tap water EC is 0.5 which canna say there is no need to add any calmag supplement because it is designed to work with 0.5 ec tap water anyways.
Before this deficiency came about I was actually feeding calmag at 0.5ml/Litre.
Using 60/40 coco clay pebble mix
Ph is 5.8/6.2 currently at 5.8
Flood and drain system iws 2 floods per day
Roots are healthy as can be as they are poking out of the pots and really white.
Any questions just ask and I'll try my best to answer them for you. I hope someone can chime in and point me in the right direction. Thanks

Top Bottom