Just Sharing My Experiences

• Thread starter Scolymia7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

About at the half way point on flower, and thought I'd share my experience/photos and hear some feedback. This is my fourth grow, and I learned alot from the forums on this site.

My first few experiences with growing were messy. Plants got huge and stretched passed my lights. Weak buds, ph swings(cal/mag issues followed), bacteria/mold issues, arms everywhere, and alot of my time spent for a disappointing end result.

I've switched from dwc to a homemade table that holds six pots. They all connect to 3 inch pvc underneath table which drain into the rez outside of the room(helped me control ph, and maintain nutrients). An aquarium pump feeds the pots via the drain. There is a a ball valve that controls how fast the water can fill/drain. One minuete of the pump being on fills the pots, and then allows it to drain slowly(about 8 min). Had a seperate top fill line but it was just another area unwanted bacteria/molds could grow. By hooking the pump to the drain line it can fill and drain from the same pipe.

I also switched from dial to Insignia wifi timers(14.99 at best buy). No external hub needed, and allows one to adjust timers from phone. Turn on/off anything at any time/anywhere, and it's plug and play. Each outlet can be programmed with ten different timers and can handle up to 1500watts. Don't know how many times I bumped the dial timers and messed up everything lol.

I currently use two 400 watts in 6 inch cool tubes and my table is 48 inch×36 inch. On my next grow want to add another 400watt or switch to two 600 watt. The way I see it, 3 400watts would offer more spread than the 2, but at the same time more wires, another 4 feet of cooling tube, another ballast, and more heat? 600 watt bulbs are slightly longer, possibly more coverage then 3 400 watts? Maybe even more heat than 3 400 watts? but would get roughly 180,000 lumens vs the 150,000 lumens using the same amount of watts(1200), or would a centered 1000 watt be an even better option. There's probally alot more to watt calculating then what's listed on bulb/ballast but that's way past my past my pay grade lol. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

The strains for this grow are Tahoe Alien, Ghost of Leroy, and Lake of Fire. This was also my first attempt at mainlining/scrog. If you see areas I can improve please critique away. My only goal is a great product, hate having to shop where I live haha.

Hope everyone has a great day and thanks for stopping by to read :)

Just sharing my experiences
Just sharing my experiences 2
Just sharing my experiences 3
Just sharing my experiences 4
Enforcer

Enforcer

Well, you seem to have worked out the issues of the first few grows. Lookin big and healthy from what I can see. Nice work!

General rule of thumb for light coverage is;

400w = 3x3 area
600w = 4x4 area
1000w = 5x5 area

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

400w = 3x3 area
600w = 4x4 area
1000w = 5x5 area

Thanks, The only reason I'm looking at other options is from reading more watts equals bigger buds. That could just be snake oil but wasn't sure. I'm happy with the two 400 watts(not too much on energy bill), just want to make sure each harvest is sufficient enough to last me till the next. Can only do 6 at a time for personal, and 2 harvests a year. Don't do summer grows after the first epic fail, too hot and humid where I live. Lucky to keep my house at 60% humidity with 2 semi decent humidifiers. 500 gallons of coral reef tanks don't help haha.

Enforcer

Enforcer

400w = 3x3 area
600w = 4x4 area
1000w = 5x5 area

Thanks, The only reason I'm looking at other options is from reading more watts equals bigger buds. That could just be snake oil but wasn't sure. I'm happy with the two 400 watts(not too much on energy bill), just want to make sure each harvest is sufficient enough to last me till the next. Can only do 6 at a time for personal, and 2 harvests a year. Don't do summer grows after the first epic fail, too hot and humid where I live. Lucky to keep my house at 60% humidity with 2 semi decent humidifiers. 500 gallons of coral reef tanks don't help haha.
You’re right, yield is based on light. You will get more weight from a 1000w vs a 400w. But it’s not recommend to put a 1000w light in a 3’x3’ area (like a tent). The heat buildup would be to great.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

That makes sense, my table is 3'×4'. The room it's in is 3.5'x12'. I have a decent blower currently. After rewording my question on Google I got better results from the search and found threads on here specifically talking about the switch. After schrolling through several pages, I'm going to go with 2 600watts. Im pretty sure my blower/room can handle the extra heat. Without a/c it sits at high 60's low 70's. The distant between 400watt bulbs and glass is no more than 3 inches. I can rest my hand right on the glass under the bulb with no discomfort. Thanks for your replys, when you mentioned room dimensions I worded my search differently, found alot of good information.

Enforcer

Enforcer

That makes sense, my table is 3'×4'. The room it's in is 3.5'x12'. I have a decent blower currently. After rewording my question on Google I got better results from the search and found threads on here specifically talking about the switch. After schrolling through several pages, I'm going to go with 2 600watts. Im pretty sure my blower/room can handle the extra heat. Without a/c it sits at high 60's low 70's. The distant between 400watt bulbs and glass is no more than 3 inches. I can rest my hand right on the glass under the bulb with no discomfort. Thanks for your replys, when you mentioned room dimensions I worded my search differently, found alot of good information.
You should be fine with 2 600w in that space. Glad I could help man. Happy growing!

Top Bottom