Just some general questions to answer

• Thread starter TheBadChoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

So I have some maybe odd”” question but over all I have been curious. This will be all based in a 70/30 coco perlite mix with 140ppm 6.5ph tap water, so to the first question comes around mixing nutes.
When using a silica additive and cal mag outside base nutes, during mixing of nutes does ph base really matter or can you just add the general formula to hit your ppm than use ph down to hit your ph level?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The order matters, you want to add the silica first an let it mix for 15-20 mins, then add your base nutrients, and if needed then ph down. No sense using calmag with that water imho. A good fert should have plenty of both.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

The order matters, you want to add the silica first an let it mix for 15-20 mins, then add your base nutrients, and if needed then ph down. No sense using calmag with that water imho. A good fert should have plenty of both.
So saying to ph down while adding nutes you say it not needed, a simple if you know the formula add it than ph down? And ty for the cal mag note been thinking that my self

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I think it would be better to amend the coco with something to bring the ph down. I’ve done a bit of testing and the ph of you water doesn’t have much impact on the ph of your medium. If you ph your medium/coco itself down that would be much more helpful.

what do people use to lower ph of coco?

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

This is newly into my first crop with an irrigation system. I used to mix things up at a sink, and some of the nutes changed the pH. It made sense to measure and adjust at the end. Now I'm mixing water and nutes together in a bin, then dumping that once a week into a reservoir feeding a constant-loss irrigation system. (Into coco.) I have a pH controller constantly measuring and controlling the pH in the reservoir, and it pumps in pH Down as needed to keep it at a set point, which for me is 6.0. I just make sure the water sits in the reservoir for 10-12 hours before it comes on to water the plants. Gives it plenty of time to get it to 6.0. When the water flushes out of the coco, the pH is a bit higher, or more if not flushing much.

Top Bottom