Just switched my hps for mh for the last week of flowering

• Thread starter bobman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobman

Anybody ever try this? I have heard different stories mostly good with no ill effects. These were 1000 watts. I am going to try to push it to ten days.

B

bobman

i tell u one thing i have noticed so far is that the trichs seem to jump out at you in this light. its like looking at two different plants with the scope.

S

SomeoneYouKnow

Why would you want to.

The lumen output of a MH bulb is SOOO much less than the lumen output of a MH, along with the incorrect spectrum.

I think your plants will finish fine, I just think you have done un-necessary work.

SYK

B

bobman

I assumed most of you heard about people doing this. This is something I just started reading about. Mixing up spectrums during flower. I believe its dj short who is a believer in it. Some people report more trich development because of the uv's from the mh. Dj short believes it brings more smell and taste in his plants and i believe he uses the method all the time now. I think he likes to finish them the last 7-10 days with mh. Some people even report more weight depending how you use the lights. A lot of people, if using two or three lights, try to put a mh in there and I believe krusty and a few tree guys use a few mh in there multiple light setup.

B

bobman

ok here is what dj short says. i do not want to start misinformation. i pulled this from another site but saw the quote from his book myself.

In DJ Shorts book Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis an expert Breeder Shares his Secrets.He writes My personal preference is for a combination of 430-watt, horizontally mounted HPS systems coupled with 400-watt, vertically mounted MH systems in small spaced flower cycles.This combination seems to utilize the best of both worlds.(End quote). Later on in the book he writes Many indoor growers try to get their budding plants as close to the light source (HID) as possible.Though this may increase bulk production of both bud and trichome, I find that this practice tends to destroy many of the finer aromatic qualities of the herb. Buds to close to the light tend to express nothing beyond the lower, lemon/lime aromas of the fruity spectrum-sometimes no better than a strong chemical/astringent odor and flavor-especially those under HPS light systems. The finer berry flavors tend to flavor more distance from the HID bulb(preferably High Ultraviolet Metal Halide light systems) especially during the latter stages of flowering. end quote

He also writes "I have also observed that the MH systems tend to produce more colorful finished products(blues, reds and purples)when used either alone or in conjunction with HPS systems in the flower cycle."

B

bigAl25

I must chime in on this. I used a mixed HPS and MH on my plants this grow. Each bulb was a 400 watt and they were on throughout flower (65 to 70 days). Strains were strawberry bubba kush (OGR), AK-48 and Bubblelicious(Nirvana fems). My end product can be seen in my grow log. The jar cure, fragrance, and high are all exceptional for all three strains. The 800 mixed watts produced six excellent plants. I agree with DJ Short and I want to grow some of his dank too.

G

Gnarfbuckle

In flowering MH will produce less dense buds than the HPS but will be more trichome laden.

HPS in flower will be denser nugs and more canopy penetration but not as trichomy as the MH.

Adding a UVB 10.0 b reptile light to your grow and having it on for a few hours during the middle of your light cycle will also help increase trichomes, but be careful as they can hurt you and your plants.

B

bobman

any suggestions or techniques welcome.

big al whats your setup? do you move the bulbs around? What footprint?

B

bobman

gnarf interesting suggestion. i am just trying to think of ways to get the best of both worlds. seems like the use of both in some manner can improve yield, taste, potency and appearance. or that whats some are reporting. Something to do with the PAR values of the lights.

sedate

sedate

SomeoneYouKnow said:
The lumen output of a MH bulb is SOOO much less than the lumen output of a MH, along with the incorrect spectrum.

Lumens for humans - PAR for plants.

The lumen scale is tied to the way humans see things - so lights heavy in reds and yellows have very high lumen ratings - while lights in the blue end of the spectrum can have lower lumen ratings - but put out the same amount of PAR - photosynthetically active radiation.

The spectrum thing can be important though, since MH bulbs come from anywhere from 3600K all the way to 6500K.

I like the 5000K - 6500K varieties myself.

bobman said:
My personal preference is for a combination of 430-watt, horizontally mounted HPS systems coupled with 400-watt, vertically mounted MH systems in small spaced flower cycles.This combination seems to utilize the best of both worlds.

I think HPS and MH bulbs in a 2:1 ratio is the absolute best flower combination, for sure.

J

Jalisco Kid

That's why my ballasts are switchable from one to the other. I run all mh the last 18 days. I do not get a much larger tric profile., but I do get a much richer deeper flavor. Some have said my herb is stronger then others with the same cut. This I am not so sure about as that is subjective. JK

C

cymbaline

how much does a plant grow/finish up in the last week?
It's a given HPS gives the fruit its density but does that last week really
pack on that much density/weight?
I don't know I'm honestly asking here from more experienced growers.
Is the trade off between density and crystals worth it?
These are questions I have been trying to find answers too.
Because I want to try the last week flip to MH myself yet on the other hand
I don't want to take away from the final weight.
I'm trying to find a balance for myself.
Quality head gear and no fluffy popcorn.

C

cheech

i'd like to try this but don't want to dish out 700 on 8 horticultural mh bulbs. think it's worth buying 25 dollar commercial mh bulbs?

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

That's why my ballasts are switchable from one to the other. I run all mh the last 18 days. I do not get a much larger tric profile., but I do get a much richer deeper flavor. Some have said my herb is stronger then others with the same cut. This I am not so sure about as that is subjective. JK

When you say stronger do you mean the high.. or the smell and flavor or both?

B

bobman

cheech, not sure. a lot of this theory is based on uvb or uv light to produce more trichs to defend itself. i would check each bulbs output. i am not sure if its the color spectrum of some mh's or just mh as a whole produces this effect. i would think its from the color spectrum of the bulb therefore you probably want something over 5000k.

A

amstercal

Interesting thread. So JK how do you feel about TCH content testing? And is the bulb swap the only difference between your grow and whoever they compared it to? If not, I have a feeling some of your skills might have come into play in the potency rather than just the bulb. :-)
I wish someone had a side by side on this. Definitely interesting.

Top Bottom