Justice Department moves to shut down Harborside Health Center

• Thread starter liketosmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
liketosmoke

liketosmoke

The federal government is moving to shut down the nation's largest and highest-profile
medical marijuana
dispensary operation, filing papers to seize properties in Oakland and San Jose where Harborside Health Center does business.
Copies of the federal Complaint for Forfeiture were taped to the front doors of the two dispensaries Tuesday, alleging that they were "operating in violation of federal law."
Medical marijuana advocates, as well as some state and local officials, decried the action, saying it hurts patients in legitimate need of the drug and breaks repeated promises by
President Obama'sJustice Department

that it was targeting only operations near schools and parks or otherwise in violation of the state's laws.

The U.S. attorney for Northern California, Melinda Haag, said she now found "the need to consider actions regarding marijuana superstores such as Harborside" because they presented unique opportunities for abuse.

Harborside was co-founded by outspoken marijuana activist Steve DeAngelo in 2006 and was the subject of a reality show, "Weed Wars," on the
Discovery Channel

last year. While other dispensary operators have sought a low profile since California's four U.S. attorneys began cracking down on the industry in October, DeAngelo has consistently railed against the federal intervention, advocated for better state regulations and become a leader in the movement.

"People are not going to stop using cannabis, they're just going to buy it in the illegal marketplace … on the streets," he said Wednesday in an interview. "Why are federal prosecutors using their discretion to do something so profoundly destructive?"

DeAngelo said that he would fight the Justice Department "openly and in public" and that he would resist any effort by his landlords to evict the dispensaries in response to the federal complaint — which targeted the property owners, not the tenants.

While all marijuana use and sales are illegal under federal law, Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder told the
House Judiciary Committee

last month that federal agents were targeting only those large-scale growers and dispensaries that have "come up with ways in which they are taking advantage of these state laws, and going beyond that which the states have authorized."

In a statement released late Wednesday, Haag suggested "superstores such as Harborside" fit that bill.

"The larger the operation, the greater the likelihood that there will be abuse of the state's medical marijuana laws, and marijuana in the hands of individuals who do not have a demonstrated medical need."
She noted that Harborside claims to have "over 108,000 customers."
California's medical marijuana laws are nebulous in regard to how the drug is to be distributed and courts have yet to settle the matter. Still, marijuana activists often hail Harborside as a model of professionalism and compliance. Its main facility in Oakland is one of four independent enterprises permitted and strictly regulated by the city.
"If Harborside is not in compliance with state law, no one is," said DeAngelo, 54.
The Oakland dispensary was awarded its permit in 2006 after the city put out a request for proposals. DeAngelo says it does about $22 million in annual sales, and the San Jose shop does about $8 million. Together they pay about $3 million in city and state sales taxes, and employ more than 100 people.
The state Board of Equalization estimates it collects $58 million to $105 million in annual sales tax from dispensaries.
"If we continue to drive everything underground, we're going to create an unsafe environment for patients who need this product … and lose revenue," board member Betty Yee said.
This week's move against Harborside further highlights the continuing conflict between local and federal officials over the drug.
"The city of Oakland has developed a system to assure such distribution occurs according to state law in a fair and orderly process," Nancy Nadel, member of the Oakland City Council and vice mayor of the city, said in a statement. "It is most unjust to our citizen patients and distributors who have followed local guidelines to be harassed and treated as criminals by federal officials."
Medical marijuana advocates said the Obama administration has repeatedly reneged on its promises that it would not meddle with the state laws.
"This is the most obvious and significant step by the federal government in attacking completely law-abiding dispensaries," said Kris Hermes, spokesman for the advocacy group Americans for Safe Access. "It becomes more untenable for them to say they are just going after certain facilities and not just undermining the state's marijuana laws."
Hermes said the Justice Department has sent more than 200 letters to dispensaries and their landlords, threatening to seize their property if the shops do not close. It has been an effective strategy. With the letters, raids by the Drug Enforcement Administration and
IRS
audits, the government has forced more than 400 to close in the state, Hermes said, including the nearby Berkeley Patients Group, which was also seen as a model in the industry and closely regulated by local officials.
He knew only of half a dozen cases in which federal prosecutors actually filed an asset forfeiture complaint, as they did with Harborside.
Already, Harborside was embroiled in a battle with the IRS, which was seeking $2.5 million in back taxes, using an obscure provision of the tax code to say dispensaries cannot deduct routine expenses such as rent and wages.
Under Haag's supervision, agents and prosecutors have targeted a number of leaders in the medical pot movement. In October, DEA agents raided the Mendocino County marijuana farm of Matthew Cohen, who helped push for permitting and regulating cannabis cultivation in that county. And in April, they targeted a pot trade school and dispensary run by
Richard Lee, who put the legalization measure
Proposition 19on the ballot in 2010.

In her statement, Haag said: "The filing of the civil forfeiture complaints against the two Harborside properties is part of our measured effort to address the proliferation of illegal marijuana businesses in the Northern District of California."

K

kolah

Yep I knew this was coming. HS is taking way too much buisness away from the CIA's MJ operation. DeAngelo is a very passionate guy. He'll have to spend all his earnings to fight his legal battles. That's what the feds like.

I wonder if anyone from the state will tell the feds it's out of their juristiction. A fat chance in hell.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

That is Fucked!

Harborside is definitely the model dispensary. If they are first, then who will be next?

I think I may have to start looking at moving to some other "free" country that doesn't spend all their time chasing down harmless citizens, and incarcerating them.

Land of the free my ass. Our politicians are 100% untrustable, and the laws that we vote in are but a joke to them.

-TF

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

just saw this on the news.. it seems like they are going after the high profile freedom fighters to make a point. this is complete bullshit . i dont go to harborside anymore cuz theyre so expensive but if they close it will be a great loss to the community .

Zonkerly

Zonkerly

That is fux up,feds just cant do the job we the people want them to do.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Yeah its fucked. Should be expected with the t.v. show and all, kind of like Steve Deangelo was giving the feds a big middle finger.....they will always bite when that shit goes down like that.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
SHOWDOWN>>>Feds vs MMJ<<<

Harborside isn't gonna close and walk away>>Steves gonna go toe to toe<<<He has Pelosi on there side and will go to the HIGH court>>>watch>>this is the showdown<<<Steve has the money the power and the lobby n capabilities and connections across the country<<<He is not gonna take this laying down>>Then the Feds win<<
>>>Gonna be interesting for sure to watch<<

gtd

fractal

fractal

City of Oakland doesn't want to lose all the tax money Harborside is giving them. They are going to defend the business until the end. Also Steve is the kind of guy that would take it all the way to the supreme court and not stop until he is behind bars. The feds have chosen the wrong target this time. But if they manage to shut down Harborside, it's going to set a serious precedent and change the way MMJ is done in california. Really it's a shame that 16 years after prop 215 this is still going on! I thought california was showing that medical cannabis works and doesn't contribute to crime. All it takes is a few jerks to ruin it for everyone, like the idiots in fresno growing 12 foot plants in the middle of town for everyone to see and then shooting someone, causing fresno country to ban all outdoor grows.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

SHOWDOWN>>>Feds vs MMJ<<<

Harborside isn't gonna close and walk away>>Steves gonna go toe to toe<<<He has Pelosi on there side and will go to the HIGH court>>>watch>>this is the showdown<<<Steve has the money the power and the lobby n capabilities and connections across the country<<<He is not gonna take this laying down>>Then the Feds win<<
>>>Gonna be interesting for sure to watch<<

gtd
Man I hope you are right GTD.
What I have seen in the past and what it seems to me to be happening is that in the next month or two, however long it takes for a grand jury in their district, there will be criminal charges filed on a federal level against many of those associated with Harborside at the highest levels of course. The civil asset forfeiture is a precursor to criminal charges as they/feds are able to seize all available funds and assets prior to criminal charges; the feds are known to charge people with civil asset forfeiture first as it is a shrewd legal tactic as it puts the defendants in the position to have to claim where exactly there money/assets came from and that usually leads to other charges as well as putting them in an obvious financial bind leading them to accept a plea agreement rather than a long costly court battle (of course they also get less time for the plea as it costs the gov less to prosecute). I seriously hope this is not what is happening here, but I have to assume that it is.

chazbolin

chazbolin

Interesting is an understatement! The shear pressure on Steve to fight this on so many fronts is enormous. Look at how Richard Lee took it. Oaksterdam is gone and not coming back. With the IRS they're going to levy everything, if they haven't already, and tie Steve's hands up financially. Even if he survives now that everything is 'cash only' (no cc companies will process MMJ business anymore) the next audit claims all kinds of fraud and under reporting. Then how do you pass on the cost of doing business without having normal business deductions such as rent and payroll?

It is a class clusterfuck and the state and local governments have been way to slow to respond to the fed by asserting their 10th amendment rights. We shall see how deeply the state and local governments dig roots in asserting Harborside's defenses. They better because....

How about this. If the tax code stands and Harborside has to pay all the back taxes to the fed for aiding and abetting the distribution of a controlled substance, I go after the states that let me believe I could do so under their laws. And took my taxes while I did so. I would want all my state and local taxes back, with interest since if I was aiding and abetting they most certainly were as well.

Besides Harborside where is the City and State on this one? And every other dispensary that has been shut down? 'The Vapor Room, which has been a Haight Street mainstay since 2004, is shutting down due to increased pressure from U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag, who cited the collective's proximity to the Duboce Park playground as the reason for her actions.'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/vapor-room-closing_n_1660582.html

If anyone can show me anywhere in an official DOJ/DEA policy statement where enforcement activities are predicated by how close the dispensary is to a park or school and I will give you 1 zip of my latest top shelf.

K

kolah

If they can't beat you with a club they beat you in the courts.

The game is rigged, folks. Become active.

One thought comes to mind? How many people puff MJ? Could you imagine if DeAngelo started a money bomb donation to buy his lawyers fees? It would be huge. Remember people, The Fedora wearing, braided hair hippie-due named Steve DeAngelo is not only fighting for himself but he is fighting for everyone of us.

chazbolin

chazbolin

As a national association ASA needs to let every state know that if Steve goes down than every state that has legalized MMJ is at risk for 'the aiding and abetting of a schedule 1 substance' by knowingly setting up the licensed distribution of this substance. That being the case, the contract between any state agency and the dispensary is complete when that government agency received payment for the revenues brought in by their having authorized said distribution.

fuck grass roots and money bombs Harborside has national implications to every state that has any form of legalized distribution and the defense has to be settled with Amicus Briefs from every single one of those 'legal' states.

If not ASA spearheading this action then who? It is that group and that national message I'd support. Since time is of the essence I would want to see the ASA letter up on their site which goes certified mail to every legal states Attorney General and requests a written response as to whether those states will file an Amicus Brief in this matter. It is those states that will not even respond to an ASA request or decide against filing an Amicus Brief or amici curiae that portends the future for MMJ.

And BTW whoever Steve's landlords are deserving of a special kind of thank you. As of this writing they're risking their properties in this matter.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

As a national association ASA needs to let every state know that if Steve goes down than every state that has legalized MMJ is at risk for 'the aiding and abetting of a schedule 1 substance' by knowingly setting up the licensed distribution of this substance. That being the case, the contract between any state agency and the dispensary is complete when that government agency received payment for the revenues brought in by their having authorized said distribution.

fuck grass roots and money bombs Harborside has national implications to every state that has any form of legalized distribution and the defense has to be settled with Amicus Briefs from every single one of those 'legal' states.

If not ASA spearheading this action then who? It is that group and that national message I'd support. Since time is of the essence I would want to see the ASA letter up on their site which goes certified mail to every legal states Attorney General and requests a written response as to whether those states will file an Amicus Brief in this matter. It is those states that will not even respond to an ASA request or decide against filing an Amicus Brief or amici curiae that portends the future for MMJ.

And BTW whoever Steve's landlords are deserving of a special kind of thank you. As of this writing they're risking their properties in this matter.

I cannot agree with you more. So many people in the industry have the mindset that if the cops haven't come for them yet than they are doing everything right and those who get busted like Lee/Deangelo must be a part of a different team. We need to stand TOGETHER on this one issue, be it mmj or mj and get this shit done. You cannot tell me there are more people in this country that are homosexual than that smoke herb. But that group is successfully changing congress by giving a shit, getting civilly active, and focusing on one easy message: marriage equality. We need to do the same. It is high time that we as a community stand up for what is right and have them stop taking our medicine away! I may not of agreed with Harborside's t.v. series, but that doesn't mean for one second I think that the government should be allowed to fuck with them, not at all!

K

kolah

Honestly I dislike all big businesses. Harborside is big-ass fuckin' business. I'd rather see the smaller mom and pop shops. But why the MJ fight is still in the infancy stages I will support anyone in the arena that puts their asses on the line. This is not just a "Big Gov Shove" against MJ as Big Gov (at the fed level) is coming down hard on everything we do in our lives. There is a bigger war going on, more than just MJ decrim/legalization issue. We are losing more and more freedoms everyday. Not to mention the absurd over- taxations every time we turn around. Warriors prepare yourselves. Slaves, keep licking boots.

chazbolin

chazbolin

So true Kolah. Harborside is big business and the fed does not care who, what, when or where. It's fish in a barrel to them. Their own tax returns tip the fed once year to what they do and how much they make. And that's a self compliance of the law because the voluntary side of any graduated tax system is not voluntary at all. Try not paying it and see how voluntary it is.

Now with national healthcare we have another 17% of the economy that is going to be federally controlled (taxed) and the states are up in arms over this power grab. The states are ripe to stand shoulder to shoulder on Steve's case. Because if they do not file an amicus brief on the the Harborside case and I happen to be a dispensary owner in one of the legal states I can already read the tea leaves.

Now is the time for ASA to coalesce this front and center by having all legal states, and even those that are not yet legal but recognize the 10th amendment rights of the state, to be heard on the Harborside matter. To my knowledge this has not been done before. DeAngelo makes case law one way or the other and it gives a national harbinger of things to come.

Top Bottom