Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ajgrows

ajgrows

Fair amount of growth this week. #2 put another 6" on and is throwing out a ton of flower sites. The photos are getting overgrown and need some heavy trimming. I had a loose plan for some maintenance today, which turned into a 3-hour project after changing gears midway through and setting up a second tent.

IMG 7610

Blackstrap Auto Day 63 | Flower Day 24
68° | 46% RH | 700 µmols | 45 DLI

The autos got a moderate defoliation today. Standard fan leaf removal, cleaned up the center larfy bits and lollipopped the lower branches. After defoliating and planning to keep the autos in the 4x8, I suddenly felt compelled to rehome them to the 3x3 tent since it's staying in the 40-50% RH range in the basement. I went a little minimalist (for me) on hardware and am not heating or using de/hu units in the 3x3. It will be interesting to see how they respond to the cooler temp range since I typically don't let it get below 70 in the tents. #1 appears to be having a "bad reaction to the inputs". Might let her go w/ just water the rest of the way.

IMG 7632

IMG 7633

IMG 7629

It's pretty cool to see how different the secondary structure is between these two.

IMG 7634
IMG 7635

Ethos Mandarin Haze Day 63 | Veg Day...49 😲
75° | 63% RH | 250 µmols | 16 DLI

I guess that could be the name of this strain, it just says it's Mandarin Cookies crossed w/ Haze. It was a freebie pack 🤷‍♂️. Whatever it is, #1 has been growing like a madman. I thought about letting it fill out and flowering it solo in the 4x8, but I really want to get through a bunch of seeds before summer. I took a few clones, did an extreme defoliation, hacked down a bunch of branches and topped everything that was left. If they recover soon, I'll flip them in a couple weeks and hopefully have them drying by the end of January.

IMG 7618

IMG 7619

IMG 7609

IMG 7630

E

Edinburg

All it takes to grow autoflowers is patience, no transplantation, a nice light food botanacare pro is good, a fan, and a flower agant, Atami Bloombastic, feed light, don't stress, and as long as the beans were bred correctly ur good, keep it simple.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Blackstrap Auto Day 75 | Flower Day 36
64° | 54% RH | 600 µmols | 35 DLI

Starting week six of flower. RH in the 3x3 tent has been in the mid to high 50s, even after outside temps dropped into the high teens. Tried a couple small dehu units that did nothing so I ordered one that is rated for 3K sqft. Hopefully it will regulate the humidity in our basement which is around 1700. I always vent into the lung room, which causes a fair amount of finessing tent humidity.

The buds on both plants continue to fatten up. I'm concerned they'll develop bud rot if I don't get the humidity down into the 40s. Again, the new dehu should help, but won't be here for almost 2 weeks. Both plants have clear overfeeding signs, nothing I can do about it now except ride it out and cut the amendments next time. I have been using Mosquito Bits for light fungus gnat control and got a box of Pot Poppers to try out. Two bags watered into each pot 'should' add a couple million nematodes. We'll see how many more annoying gnats I have to smash ✋🪰

IMG 7733

IMG 7732

Ethos Mandarin Haze Day 75 | Veg Day 61
70° | 47% RH | 400 µmols | 16 DLI

These two ladies have been relaxing in the tent at a balmy 70 degrees under low light for two weeks. They filled in a bunch after the heavy defoliation and are looking super healthy. Flipped them to flower today, I'm excited to see how they turn out based on some diary images I've seen of this cross. They're sitting right at 3' and I only have about 6" more vertical space to raise the light so I threw my top scrog net over them. Assuming they could double during stretch, this is probably my only option to keep them from getting too close to the light. Turn and burn 🤘

IMG 7734

ajgrows

ajgrows

Blackstrap Auto Day 89 | Flower Day 50
73° | 44% RH | 650 µmols | 42 DLI

Man, three months down already, I thought these would be chopped by now. I was able to get the 3x3 environment dialed in really well using the dehu from the 4x8 and the new 3K sqft unit set at 40% in the open basement. I scored a rando killer deal on Amazon and this thing is definitely going to be a game changer for me in the warmer seasons. The 3K unit pulled a ton of moisture out of the air the first few days and RH has been holding steady in the high 30s in the basement. Easy enough to keep the tent humidity a few points higher.

Methinks these things are gonna be a huge pain when it comes time to trim, so I've been defoliating 3-5 fan/large sugar leaves each day to try and strip some of the excess before the wet trim.

IMG 7818

#2 has finally started to darken up and get a bit fatter. She's developed some real bad canoeing the past couple weeks and I thought it might have been the light intensity. I don't see any other symptoms of light burn and dimming them didn't have any effect. Chalking it up to the overfeeding.

IMG 7819

I checked the trichomes on #1. Overall, looking mostly cloudy w/ a few clear and amber heads, depending on where I scoped. When in doubt, "2 more weeks" right 😝 I've backed myself into a corner for harvest because I don't have a separate space to dry the plants. I'll have to take #1 as far as I can while waiting for #2 to catch up, which seems to be 2-3 weeks behind. These things already smell gassy as hell, so having one that goes a bit longer and delivers more couch lock is perfectly fine by me.

IMG 7821

IMG 7807

IMG 7809

IMG 7810

I was hoping these would be good to try on my cheap rosin press, but they're just not as frosty as I was hoping for. I know that's not the hallmark sign of good oil production, so I'm keeping expectations low. I definitely don't have a refined extraction process yet so the mids, larf and trim have been voluntold they're in the hopper for rosin deployment.

IMG 7823

IMG 7822

Ethos Mandarin Haze Photo Day 89 | Flower Day 14
75° | 62% RH | 600 µmols | 26 DLI

I gave the photos a couple heavy waterings last week, assuming they would suck up the excess during stretch. They started drooping and looking really overwatered almost immediately, which seemed plausible given all the water. I did nothing for four days, expecting them to start perking up during the dry back. Clearly my assumption was wrong because they continued to deteriorate further and lose all turgor. So they may have initially been overwatered but obviously this wasn't the case for long. Diagnosing plant symptoms is hard 🤷‍♂️

About four hours elapsed from photo 1 to 2 below after giving each one 2/3 of a gallon of water and the last pic is yesterday morning after a full recovery. After the stretch, I'll gut everything below the scrog which I'm guessing will be 3-4 dozen tops to fruit. I raised the light as high as it will go and I've got about two feet of vertical space so hopefully keeping the lights on the lower end of the spectrum will keep the girls from growing into the light.

IMG 7812

IMG 7813

IMG 7824

Top Bottom