Kind and expert growers, please help me with my first Setup for outdoor plants.

• Thread starter Qawans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Qawans

Qawans

Hi,

I'm about to plant Bruce Banner (photoperiod) in 10 x 10 Gallon Fabric Pots Outdoors.

I have Ocean Forest And Happy Frog Soil.

And Two Bags of 10 lbs. Natures Living Soil in order to make the soil living with the bottom layer Super soil mix.

The way I plan to distribute the soil mix and NLS is the following.

Top 2 gallons are just plain Happy Frog.
Second 3 gallons are 2 gallons of Happy frog mixed with 1 gallon Ocean forest.
Third layer is 1 gallon of Happy frog mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
fourth layer is 1 gallon Ocean forest mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
Bottom Layer is 3 gallons Ocean Forest mixed with 2 lbs. NLS

This adds up to 5 gallons of Happy Frog and 5 gallons of Ocean Forest and 3 lbs. of NLS. (I'll obviously take out the 3 lbs. from the soil to make room for the NLS)

I may be overthinking this but I tried to layer it in a way that the root system will gradually get into "hotter" soil as it goes deeper.

The Nature Living Soil guys told me the bottom layer of 3 Gallons of Ocean Forest mixed with the 2 lbs. NLS will probably be too hot and I should only use 1 lbs.

But I don't know if only 2 lbs. of NLS will be enough for a 10 gallon pot.

Please Advice me on this kind and expert growers.
Thank you kindly

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Hi,

I'm about to plant Bruce Banner (photoperiod) in 10 x 10 Gallon Fabric Pots Outdoors.

I have Ocean Forest And Happy Frog Soil.

And Two Bags of 10 lbs. Natures Living Soil in order to make the soil living with the bottom layer Super soil mix.

The way I plan to distribute the soil mix and NLS is the following.

Top 2 gallons are just plain Happy Frog.
Second 3 gallons are 2 gallons of Happy frog mixed with 1 gallon Ocean forest.
Third layer is 1 gallon of Happy frog mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
fourth layer is 1 gallon Ocean forest mixed with 0.5 lbs. NLS
Bottom Layer is 3 gallons Ocean Forest mixed with 2 lbs. NLS

This adds up to 5 gallons of Happy Frog and 5 gallons of Ocean Forest and 3 lbs. of NLS. (I'll obviously take out the 3 lbs. from the soil to make room for the NLS)

I may be overthinking this but I tried to layer it in a way that the root system will gradually get into "hotter" soil as it goes deeper.

The Nature Living Soil guys told me the bottom layer of 3 Gallons of Ocean Forest mixed with the 2 lbs. NLS will probably be too hot and I should only use 1 lbs.

But I don't know if only 2 lbs. of NLS will be enough for a 10 gallon pot.

Please Advice me on this kind and expert growers.
Thank you kindly
Your roots will be at the bottom of the container in no time. Not saying they’ll fill that area first but it won’t take long. Run it. Bet it’ll be fine. Obviously don’t feed until you see deficiency developing. Good luck.

Qawans

Qawans

Your roots will be at the bottom of the container in no time. Not saying they’ll fill that area first but it won’t take long. Run it. Bet it’ll be fine. Obviously don’t feed until you see deficiency developing. Good luck.

Thank you for your reply Pushrod Monkey,

I'm not that concerned about the plant not having enough nutrients. It's the opposite: I'm afraid that there might be too much nutrients in the bottom mix making the soil too hot for my plant and it would burn it.

(Bottom Layer is 3 gallons Ocean Forest mixed with 2 lbs. NLS)

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Thank you for your reply Pushrod Monkey,

I'm not that concerned about the plant not having enough nutrients. It's the opposite: I'm afraid that there might be too much nutrients in the bottom mix making the soil too hot for my plant and it would burn it.

(Bottom Layer is 3 gallons Ocean Forest mixed with 2 lbs. NLS)
That’s exactly why I’m telling you this. The OF is fairly hot. Any nitrogen will be taken up quickly. Do not flush. You should be okay.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

One of the keys to growing outside is consistency. Especially in the soil. You can layer it that way, I've done it, it works. But it is really stressful on the plant to grow thru different amounts of nutes. I have found that really mixing the soil all together except for a bottom layer of an inch or two stresses the plant least.
Keep ground bugs in mind here. grubs, worms, and all kinds of crawly critters are in there, will your mix harm them? You need them for the organic part of the soil....
Toss a handful of red wigglers in there. They are almost magic.

Ocean Forest is hot, but not so much it will harm the plants.

Top Bottom