L-amino Acids In Hydroponic Systems

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

In doing some research I came across a pretty in-depth study on the use of l-amino acids and their effects on crop growth. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/36496.pdf

What I gathered from my initial reading of the paper was that, like most everything else, less is more with aminos when it comes to growth and ultimately, yield. It appears this is because their cheating properties can lead to an over abundance of N (I may be wrong here, but it makes sense to me).

The experiments in the paper also showed that most of the NO3 chelated by the aminos accumulated in the plant roots and much less in the stems and leafs, perhaps this can be remediated with foliar applications.

My goal here isn't to add an additional nitrogen source, cano3, along with jacks hydro as a base, provides me with plenty, but theoretically if I integrate l-aminos into my fertigation program, it, along with around 45ppms of fulvic acid, may allow me to decrease my fertilizer usage overall.

Not to mention the overall increase in photosynthesis amino acids trigger.

the label rate for a product called ferti-nitro plus (https://customhydronutrients.com/fe...88_324&zenid=64fac61f8b40af1f5925d87339a93e8d) is a 1:4000 dilution (or ~.95g/gal by my math) applied every three weeks or (from my interpretation) at each pivotal growth stage in flower (I'm thinking flip, then again at the end of stretch).

So here's my question, would it be beneficial to use a lower concentration for continuous fertigation with it and use foliar application at the above "pivotal points"? For the record, I'm growing in coir, DTW, irrigating 1-3x daily, depending on all the usual factors.

Also, if anyone sees holes in my logic please poke holes in it, my understanding of all this is amateur at best.

And, for anyone interested, here's a good read on amino acids and other chelators and their use in hydroponic systems: https://manicbotanix.com/beneficial-additives-in-hydroponics/

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think it's *just* their chelating properties, you've got to remember that aminos *are* another form of N.
but theoretically if I integrate l-aminos into my fertigation program, it, along with around 45ppms of fulvic acid, may allow me to decrease my fertilizer usage overall.
In my experience with soil, hydro in the form of perlite hempy tubs, coco coir, and aquaponics, adding any humic acids is going to pretty much force you to reduce overall fertilizer usage especially if you're using highly soluble fertilizers, such as CaNO3. By 1/3 usually. I've played with aminos, but because I am nothing if not cheap, my tendency is to go at super low rates. It's been YEARS, but IIRC I was able to further reduce total fertilizer usage. I never tried them via foliar application. I think Jalisco Kid has written a bit in the past about using and/or procuring (Haifa seems to ring the bell for me here) on amino usage in hydro systems.

AKFrost

AKFrost

L- amino acids seems like it would be awesome to try out. I found Harley Smith talking about its Benefits in this video. Here is the link

Top Bottom