landlord issues

• Thread starter ghost79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

From what I've seen renting through a realty company was the easiest and safest way. I've personally rented from landlords and they seemed always a little more interested on checking up on the homes status. The realty company never gave a fuck they just collect the money and you call them for any problems that arise. This is from personal experience in the midwest, renting for over 10 years and never staying in the house for more than a year. In short just be fucking careful and feel things out. There's nothing like intuition. MWD

for sure, I wouldnt rent from anyone who just owns a few properties or theyll be wanting to stop by all the time and make sure everythings okay

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

for sure, I wouldnt rent from anyone who just owns a few properties or theyll be wanting to stop by all the time and make sure everythings okay
Had some serious close calls that could induce grey hairs at a youger age. Landlord stopping over to replace gutters wk 5 of flower and needed to use an outlet for tools because there weren't outside outlets. Thank god for ona gel and a storm door although he was "cool" but fuck trusting that... So glad I moved to Cali a couple months ago. I sleep so much better and don't sketchily look around in fear. MWD

420Gator

420Gator

Had some serious close calls that could induce grey hairs at a youger age. Landlord stopping over to replace gutters wk 5 of flower and needed to use an outlet for tools because there weren't outside outlets. Thank god for ona gel and a storm door although he was "cool" but fuck trusting that... So glad I moved to Cali a couple months ago. I sleep so much better and don't sketchily look around in fear. MWD

exactly...rental company isnt gonna send anyone to a property for random work like that, they dont give a shit

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

exactly...rental company isnt gonna send anyone to a property for random work like that, they dont give a shit
Precisely. Maybe not every scenario but the odds are in your favor. Make sure to know your rights as well and bullshit say you have the bird flu it doesn't matter. MWD

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

im sorry but that is the absolute LAST thing i would recommend you do.

management companies work ON THE CLOCK. they work 9-5 for your rent money. when you need filters, they will be there to put them in. if someone says ANYTHING, they will be there to ask. remember someone not guilty will have no reason to NOT invite them in to look around.

if you're going to rent, do it from a private owner, thats only 1 person not a company of people constantly around, its a lot easier to keep 1 person in the loop and not curious opposed to 12 managers on salary trips.

find a landlord that is renting their "vacation home" or a house that they dont live near. find a landlord in a different state that just expects a check in the mail.

BUT DO NOT, DO A MANAGEMENT COMPANY. i swear that will be your worst mistake.
HERES the skinny on MGMT companies,...... Most if not all have a right, yes right to come into your unit with a 72hr warning, they will ask anytime if the can "come check on: the furnace, plumbing, roofing, electrical or anything that they are interested in knowing about" if you say no, or i'm not going to be there, you will get the written notice, then if your there or not they are comming in to "inspect the property" this is akin to a legal search warrant, and they will search for what ever they want to find/think might be a problem/isn't in accord with your lease agreement! You should be aware of this at the very least, never,never ever think "they seem cool" or you'll end up finding out just how uncool people that own the property can be once they are aware/afraid of what might be going on.

Sorry to say it but even here in MECCA: AKA BOULDER CO, some mgmt companies happily rent to people they think might grow, only to enforce the "no illegal activity on the premesis clause" and snatch up your deposit only to rent it to the next sucker and do it all over again (they get licensed card holders under the old "its still illegal on a federal level" issue).
i just watched this go down, again, in "the coolest neighborhood in town, dude" and watched more than a half dozen growers get the 72hr notice all at the same time, scramble to tear down their grows (several were in the last week or two of flowering) with the extended pleasure of being caught up in a lease they were legally responsiable for paying off, and no place to continue their project, and several were billed huge costs for "altering the space without written approval of the owner". One of the guys was even kicked straight to the curb sans deposit or reference after 5 years in the place, because a manager "noticed ducting seemed strange" when looking to see if the place needed to be painted on the outside, see if they do not enter the place they don't even have to tell you they are coming by to look, but once they see anything then they ask "mind if i look at" and you enter three days of HELL!!!!
heads up MOCK REALITY in Colorado is a major player in this rigged game!

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

I can't say this enough guys LAND CONTRACT. You are responsible for the hole house like you own it taxes, repairs ect. The part that is good is these guys will sell to low income, bad credit, drug dealers ect. But you will not have inspections. The house is yours. Yea you might have to come with a little more for a down payment, around 10%. But thats only double than if you were to rent. But unless your trying to get into a 200k house you should be alright. Go for the sticks, in villages and towns that do not have police departments. Shoot for houses that are condemned, there gonna be cheap. Get a LAND CONTRACT.
Very smart strategy but there arn't any 200K houses where i live, the rat holes will run you 375K here, but i really like your advice!!!

420Gator

420Gator

Are you really so sure, that is the most unaware thing i've read here in a while, random stop bys are the second leading cause of busted grows ~ EX-Lovers being #1!!!
the leading cause is ppl blabbing to everyone that they grow weed. if the realty company does a "random stop by" and Im not there and they dont have the key to get in because I changed the locks theyll just have to bust me some other day

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

rental mgt companies are the MOST likely to have regular mandatory inspections (they give you legal notice, which varies by state). they are also very prone to pulling stupid bullshit, and then following up with lots of 'by the book' procedures which entail fucking you over. been there..

420Gator

420Gator

just to clarify I did say "small" rental company in my OP on this thread. Never heard of mandatory inspections, in an apartment sure but never in a rental house IME. and they cant just barge in there they have to give u notice, besides it wouldnt be very polite to just show up unannounced. change the locks, theyre a rental company not the DEA they arent just gonna come bust your door down trying to catch you blasting Kwatters everywhere.

Oh BTW Im far from unaware this is from personal experience and being involved with a handful of other growers who do it the same way. maybe in colorodo the landlords are just crazy mofos who dont give a fuck and will raid every room in your house in an attempt to find something illegal so they can jack your security deposito_O but in the 5 states Ive lived in Ive never had landlord visits. Come to think of it I lived on base for years while serving and never once had a mandatory inspection and this is the government, they live for that kinda shit.

worst case scenario u go rent a 20 something footer from u-haul and pull an all nighter moving your grow. thatd suck but itd keep your landlord from knowing

end of rant lol

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

rental mgt companies are the MOST likely to have regular mandatory inspections (they give you legal notice, which varies by state). they are also very prone to pulling stupid bullshit, and then following up with lots of 'by the book' procedures which entail fucking you over. been there..
YEP,when i used a property management co. it was actually in the contract that they would inspect at least 1 time per year for safety/maintenance reasons and more often if needed,they get paid to try and avert any problems that may arise and they cant do it without inspecting.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

bottom line - there will be downsides to any company/person owning the property you grow in OTHER THAN YOURSELF.

you could find a million reason to, and not to, do anything.

if the juice is worth the squeeze to you, get your cup.

if not, ask someone else for the drink to pour.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

i would just hate to be sitting downtown clown thinking "oh those kids on the fuckin internet were wrong"

dude do what is best for YOU. we dont know your life, if you can sell some sweet skunk for 6 a LB where you live and dont care about the 10-15 fuckin batter up! just think about shit i guess thats all im sayin.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

i would just hate to be sitting downtown clown thinking "oh those kids on the fuckin internet were wrong"

dude do what is best for YOU. we dont know your life, if you can sell some sweet skunk for 6 a LB where you live and dont care about the 10-15 fuckin batter up! just think about shit i guess thats all im sayin.
Thanks, i havent been called a KID since i hit my mid forties,.....and have grown in at least half a dozen states,.....so i appreciate it a ton!
Hey to me a successful grow is perpetual until i stop it, everything else is placing your bet and spinning the wheel, to be thats a loser even before the dealer says "no more bets please"

hope you know i never preach from the pulpit of my own experience, but i do give a loud "6~up" to anyone that will listen, when i see a headache comming. Cheers to anyone who's never had to reach for the aspirin
the leading cause is ppl blabbing to everyone that they grow weed. if the realty company does a "random stop by" and Im not there and they dont have the key to get in because I changed the locks theyll just have to bust me some other day

! hey by the way i know of several rental contracts that stipulate the locks may not be changed without prior written permission,....creating a "breach of contract" which justifies giving the notice to inspect. I'm not paranoid but i almost never have the problems alot of people do.

Sorry but this is exactly the kind of thing that would never happen at one of my grows, if that's the #1 reason for the peeps you have delt with getting popped, that is just straight up self inflicted!

420Gator

420Gator

! hey by the way i know of several rental contracts that stipulate the locks may not be changed without prior written permission,....creating a "breach of contract" which justifies giving the notice to inspect. I'm not paranoid but i almost never have the problems alot of people do.

Sorry but this is exactly the kind of thing that would never happen at one of my grows, if that's the #1 reason for the peeps you have delt with getting popped, that is just straight up self inflicted!

I dont know anyone personally whos been busted growing. i was speaking generally. Im not trying to get in an online pissing match with u because I agree that renting a place isnt the best option but, its really not that hard and IME I havent had any problems with landlords. maybe its because I always say Im in the military and Im always on time or ahead of time with my rent so possibly they trust me more than other tennants. maybe Im just lucky and never had a landlord eager to bust me...

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

I dont know anyone personally whos been busted growing. i was speaking generally. Im not trying to get in an online pissing match with u because I agree that renting a place isnt the best option but, its really not that hard and IME I havent had any problems with landlords. maybe its because I always say Im in the military and Im always on time or ahead of time with my rent so possibly they trust me more than other tennants. maybe Im just lucky and never had a landlord eager to bust me...
Hey its all good! i'm not interested in a pissing match, ever, i just believe in giving all the info i have at my disposal mostly because the discussion of anything might be of aid to someone else lurking or checking back on am issue later.......I'm really glad you haven't had any problems, and i really hope that continues~I'm the only multi-decade Ski racer i know that hasn't had knee surgery, so i've been on your side of the coin as well! Also let me say an official "Thank You" for your service to our country ~ it's not a job i'm geared for but i really appreciate the fact someone else is!

420Gator

420Gator

Hey its all good! i'm not interested in a pissing match, ever, i just believe in giving all the info i have at my disposal mostly because the discussion of anything might be of aid to someone else lurking or checking back on am issue later.......I'm really glad you haven't had any problems, and i really hope that continues~I'm the only multi-decade Ski racer i know that hasn't had knee surgery, so i've been on your side of the coin as well! Also let me say an official "Thank You" for your service to our country ~ it's not a job i'm geared for but i really appreciate the fact someone else is!

I wasnt geared for it either, luckicly I was in the chAir Force which barely resembles a branch of the military anymore lol thanks anyway tho

fractal

fractal

RE companies often hold an inventory of properties...snatching the extremely good deals before they hit the open market/etc... and hanging on to them as investments/renting them out 'til the market is more favorable for resale. They also "manage" properties for other owners.

If you go this route....just make sure you check that lease thoroughly to ensure that it states that the house will not be listed "For Sale" or shown to prospective buyers @ any point during your lease. Otherwise, the house could be listed and shown at anytime...ending your gardening days >pronto<.

good luck

Trust this guy! I had to leave a great property with 10 acres and a huge steel shop building near redding, CA because the asshole landlords decided they wanted to sell it and so I had people coming by at least twice a month until I moved. I could have dealt with it myself but the girlfriend at the time was really freaking out, insisting that every time people came by to look at the house we had to spend an entire fucking day or two scrubbing it clean and shiny. Way too much shit to deal with. They only screwed themselves over though, a year after I moved the house was still empty and they were losing money on it. If the morons had just left me alone to rent it, I would have been able to buy the place after one more season of growing and we both would have been happy. It was their greed that made a bad situation for everyone involved.

fractal

fractal

just to clarify I did say "small" rental company in my OP on this thread. Never heard of mandatory inspections, in an apartment sure but never in a rental house IME. and they cant just barge in there they have to give u notice, besides it wouldnt be very polite to just show up unannounced. change the locks, theyre a rental company not the DEA they arent just gonna come bust your door down trying to catch you blasting Kwatters everywhere.

Oh BTW Im far from unaware this is from personal experience and being involved with a handful of other growers who do it the same way. maybe in colorodo the landlords are just crazy mofos who dont give a fuck and will raid every room in your house in an attempt to find something illegal so they can jack your security deposito_O but in the 5 states Ive lived in Ive never had landlord visits. Come to think of it I lived on base for years while serving and never once had a mandatory inspection and this is the government, they live for that kinda shit.

worst case scenario u go rent a 20 something footer from u-haul and pull an all nighter moving your grow. thatd suck but itd keep your landlord from knowing

end of rant lol

They can't take your deposit simply because of something you are doing, there has to be damage to account for. That's a good reason to use grow tents, in the garage and the only physical contact between the grow and the house would be the electrical cord plugged into the breaker box or dryer outlet. They can't claim any damage if all you're doing is blowing air into the garage. And if you get evicted, you are no longer on the hook for monthly payments like someone else was saying. . . If the lease is terminated by them and you move you are not paying them any more right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom