LATimes - The secret life of pot growers

• Thread starter Rabbi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rabbi

Reporting from Garberville, Calif. — A woman drove into the Humboldt County hills to earn some money trimming the leaves from marijuana buds.

At a cabin, the grower who'd hired her set out mounds of pot. The woman and a friend chatted as they trimmed. Suddenly, an armed man barged in. He accused the grower of stealing his pot.

The invader grabbed some of the grower's cash, handed it to the women and ordered them out. They careened down the road in their truck to the foot of the mountain.

What should they do?

"We should forget it," the woman told her friend, "not think about it, and sure as hell not talk about it. We spent this weekend out in Bear Harbor."

A week later, a girl stopped by the woman's regular job to return the purse she'd left in the hills and to deliver a message: We know where to find you.

Four months later, the woman saw a missing-person poster at a supermarket. On it was a picture of the grower who'd hired her.

This story is fiction but it could have happened — and probably has. It was among a series of tales that began appearing on a mysterious blog two years ago, short stories about life in the secretive marijuana-growing world of Northern California.

The author used the name SoHumBorn (for southern Humboldt-born), and for three months the stories mesmerized the pot growers of southern Humboldt and northern Mendocino counties.

In the mountains of SoHumBorn's world, bodies were buried like secrets. Mothers dressed their children for school while federal drug agents surrounded the house. Growers' posses dispensed frontier justice.

The author knew the specialty coffee that pot growers drink — Signature Coffee from Redway in southern Humboldt — and knew that growers take supplies of it when they travel, certain they'll find nothing as good anywhere else.

Her stories — for many assumed that only a woman would dare be so open about the pot world — exposed a still-wild and clandestine California in a manner reminiscent of the way John Cheever lifted the veil over 1950s East Coast suburbia.

"Part of what makes our community really close-knit is a sense of having to come together to protect our way of life," said Shannon Bridges, a southern Humboldt resident and avid reader of SoHumBorn's blog posts. "She was the first to write about it from the inside in such a public way."

Couples argued over the stories. Chat rooms buzzed.

Then one day in February 2009, the blog vanished like the grower in SoHumBorn's story. Readers were bereft. A rumor spread that angry growers had figured out who she was and ordered her to shut up.

Unsparing honesty

SoHumBorn's stories gathered power from their unsparing honesty about weed life, its giddy freedom, its compromises and disaffections.

In the late 1960s and '70s, hippies arrived in the lumber-depleted mountains of southern Humboldt County, searching for an alternative to mainstream America that was natural and honest.

Then came marijuana. At first, the hippies grew it for their own use. As its price rose relentlessly, they became entrepreneurs and outlaws. They proved surprisingly square. Pot money allowed them to create self-reliant villages. They had Little League and quilting bees and volunteer fire departments.

Two more pages at:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-pot-blogger-20101117,0,654137.story

Latimes   the secret life of pot growers
fractal

fractal

Looks like a good read, and it is always hard to get any info on what goes down in the hills up there. I know for a fact its very hardcore and people disappear a lot. I heard the guy who bred the purple urkel ended up getting executed with a 12 gauge to the head over a deal gone bad or something, but have never read anything to confirm that.

H

humboldtlocal

Most of the growers here in So Hum including myself were not happy when SoHumBorn was publishing these fictional stories about our community. There are so many positive stories that come from these hills. Why focus on the negative. It is a disservice to us all and the media eats it up. I guess no one wants to hear a story about the school that was built by growers. Or the ten year old boy who's leukemia treatments were paid for by growers. Or the volunteer fire department that was able to buy a new truck. Her stories weren't even true and they make us all look bad. The truth is that she had a horrible experience happen to her surrounding the industry and this is her way of processing it. She should keep her negativity about our community to herself.

D

DrDanko

Hey humboldtlocal....I live in the Midwest, and I couldn't agree with you more. The key work here is fictional. And while I do know that lots of crazy things like this DO happen, for them to say that "most people" have had a friend disappear in a midnight pot deal is simply irresponsible. I guess if everyone knows everyone, then 1 or two people missing COULD mean that everyone has had a friend nurdered? I digress...This is so over the top I don't know where to begin. And more than anything, if this woman is legitimate, she's endangering herself and all of us by fostering ideas that if you legalize MMJ, your state will become some sort of war zone or bad terror movie! And then they tie this to the Meth heads, which is always a nice touch. Being someone who most likely has benefited from growing weed, it's reckless for SoHumBorn to liken this to real life simply so she could 'get something off her chest.' If she grew up in that world, then she knows plenty of people she can vent to! -DrD.

D

DrDanko

this reminds me of one of those documentaries on Pot from CNN or some network that pretty much focused on 2 or 3 people in Arcata who've rented to growers who completely trashed the apartments. One had some REALLY bad mold, and all I could think about was how the dude growing there must not know a thing about cultivation. Anyway, they simply focused on how some bad apples had wronged them, and I agree, those dudes suck! They make us all look bad. But that's the minority. -DrD.

fractal

fractal

Most of the growers here in So Hum including myself were not happy when SoHumBorn was publishing these fictional stories about our community. There are so many positive stories that come from these hills. Why focus on the negative. It is a disservice to us all and the media eats it up. I guess no one wants to hear a story about the school that was built by growers. Or the ten year old boy who's leukemia treatments were paid for by growers. Or the volunteer fire department that was able to buy a new truck. Her stories weren't even true and they make us all look bad. The truth is that she had a horrible experience happen to her surrounding the industry and this is her way of processing it. She should keep her negativity about our community to herself.

That's very true, and a great point to make HL. Growers up that way really do take care of the community and without them it would look like the deepest pits of the Ozarks most likely.

You ever heard anything about the purple urkel guy getting his head blown off? I heard they ID'd the body because he had 'urkel' tatted up on his arms or something.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If bad stuff happens, it shouldn't be kept hidden away.

If good stuff happens and you know about it, then write about it! I can't write about it, I don't know anything about it.

I disagree vehemently with the stance that she should "keep it to herself" entirely. She has a First Amendment right to write whatever she likes and that should not be censored.

D

DrDanko

SeaMaiden: I agree with you that we all have a First Amendment right. It's just unfortunate that the LA Times picks up on these stories and chooses not to give equal face time to positive ones. It's irresponsible journalism(by LAT, not SHB) at it's finest.

The only problem I have with the girl writing these is that she's using a form of fiction known as Realistic Fiction, which is, by definition, intended to make the reader believe that these events are true or could be true. By doing so she takes black and white, and makes everything gray. So readers who don't know anything about what goes on in Northern CA don't know what's real and what's not, and then it all suddenly becomes real to them.

And let's get another thing straight. SHB's followers say that if bad things are happening they should be brought into the light, when clearly this is an outlet for her to vent and not a proper place for Californians to catch up on local news! I enjoy reading stories like this in their proper forum, which is NOT the LA Times. Those are the main issues I have with it. She can feel free to write what she wants, and I'll feel free to share my opinions on it! First amendment works both ways;) -DrD.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
She's writing them as fiction with real life experiences as a basis. Many authors do that. Apparently she's popular, and while I've never heard of her, it's only taken a short time for me to hear of some very similar stories. Is it like driving by a car wreck? You betcha. But it doesn't appear that she libels or slanders anyone, just paints a picture based from *her* perspective.

If I have an objection to a story, or feel a given media outlet has put too much focus in the wrong area, I write to them directly. An even more difficult media form to work against is Hollywood, but I don't see much complaining about what they put out and how most smokers/consumers are portrayed.

You're absolutely right, that amendment does work both ways, and it should be worked both ways (the good with the bad). Because, that's the human animal, growers are no exception.

H

HumboldtGrrrL

You're coming from a place of fear if you are unwilling to hear anything but good about the growing world. Should we hide our heads in the sand & pretend no one ever gets busted or ripped off? Did you listen to her interview on KHUM? She made it really clear that she loves and respects our community. If all you are seeing in those stories is negativity I feel sorry for you, because I saw deep friendships, loving families, & people who ran to their neighbors aid at a moments notice. Sure, they didn't all have hearts and flowers with puppies running in the sunshiny fields of marijuana, but who the heck would fall for that?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
OK ,Who let there mutt into the garden again? Animals do not belong in the garden! I don`t know how many times I have to tell you kids this! People don`t want there flowers all covered with dog hair! And quit making love by my prized Indicas you dam hippies children! Have some respect and go do it by the Sativa Plants, they seem to dig it more! And one more thing plants don`t enjoy rap music ! They like Rock and Roll just fine! Look how well they grow when they hear Jimmy,Janis,and Jerry all day! Don`t you kids ever listen to this old fart any? Your Mothers and I were smoking diapers when you were...You know what I was tring to say! They didn`t get my generation when I was young and they don`t get it now any better!

Top Bottom