Leaf issues when going from veg to flower (autos)

• Thread starter Millwright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Millwright

Millwright

Hello,
I have an issue I haven’t been able to master yet. Been growing for a year now, when the plants go in to flower this issue appears.
I have thrown damn near everything the store can sell me at this problem on previous grows.
Outside I’ve had no issues. In fact this past spring I was able to take my plants outside to finish and ALL issues went away.
All auto flower from seed. Issue appears overnight on the upper leaves.
Per the sticky request here is the pertinent information;
1-from seed
2- 31 days from seed
3- plant is 14”
4- 5gal fabric
5- soil mix is Happy Frog and worm castings 4/1. (however I’ve had the same issue with all different brands of soil mixes) with 3tbls per gal 4-3-4 and 5 tbls total of bone meal 0-10-0
6- water about 2 times a week. Water thoroughly, wait for pot to get light before watering again.
7- softened well water at 6.4-6.6 ph (as stated earlier all problems went away when moved outside. No cal mag, no ph-ing)
8- no top dressing yet. Water only( with cal mag the last 2 waterings before issue appeared)
9- no foliage spraying
10- 2spider farmer 1000s and 1 Mars hydro 1000 over 2 plants (have had as many as 4 at a time)
11- lights are 19” away PPFD is 600+/- DLI is about 40+/- (ppfd meter android app calibrated to manufacturers par map) 18/6 schedule
12- 4x4 closet painted flat white (first grow with flat white. Had reflective film and mirrors before)
13- daytime 75-77deg 62% rh+. dark period 68deg 60%rh
14-no soil ph tester (as stated this same issue starts at preflower no matter the soil I have used. I’ve use quite a few in the last year.) coast of main, ffof, ffhf, m3, Detroit water only mix, Canaganja…
15- there are a few soil gnats but they are under control via sticky traps and pea gravel.
16- been growing for a year.
Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Leaf issues when going from veg to flower autos
Leaf issues when going from veg to flower autos 2
FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Almost looks like septoria, like maybe its too hot and/or too humid on the leaf, for the auto strains you are growing inside. I do not grow autos, but my guess is the leaf inside is too hot, compared to outside, from the way the leaf serration is thin and pointing up. Add humidity to that you get septoria

From what you stated at the beginning, your temps and humidity seem ok. How is your air flow through the plants? It looks like the plant structure is really tight. Maybe some really light defoliation would help air flow and keep the leaves cool. Like 1 maybe 2 leaves a week. In my very limited auto experience (I have grown two) the leaf texture and thickness was different from regular plants. You could also try raising your lights to 24-30 inches above the plant instead of the 19 you stated to try to bring leaf temperatures down.

Millwright

Millwright

Almost looks like septoria, like maybe its too hot and/or too humid on the leaf, for the auto strains you are growing inside. I do not grow autos, but my guess is the leaf inside is too hot, compared to outside, from the way the leaf serration is thin and pointing up. Add humidity to that you get septoria

From what you stated at the beginning, your temps and humidity seem ok. How is your air flow through the plants? It looks like the plant structure is really tight. Maybe some really light defoliation would help air flow and keep the leaves cool. Like 1 maybe 2 leaves a week. In my very limited auto experience (I have grown two) the leaf texture and thickness was different from regular plants. You could also try raising your lights to 24-30 inches above the plant instead of the 19 you stated to try to bring leaf temperatures down.
I have a hurricane oscillating fan, I have also been doing tucking and some defoliation.
an infrared thermometer is on my wish list, to check leaf temp.

Millwright

Millwright

I could also mention that the sensor for the Infinity fan, temp/rh, is hanging at canopy height.

rayi

rayi

Not saying this is your problem cause I don't do autos. But when I first started I had the same problem. Started half strength grow and half strength bloom for a watering or two then full strength grow. Other things could be bugs or dropping nutes on the leaves. Before you spend money on anything else you need a real good pH meter.

Millwright

Millwright

Not saying this is your problem cause I don't do autos. But when I first started I had the same problem. Started half strength grow and half strength bloom for a watering or two then full strength grow. Other things could be bugs or dropping nutes on the leaves. Before you spend money on anything else you need a real good pH meter.
When you say a good ph meter, do you mean a soil ph tester or one for the water?
I have a Blulab pen for doing the water. Seriously considering the Bluelab soil ph pen.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Could be calcium deficient as well. You need to collect runoff and measure soil ph to check.

Millwright

Millwright

Bingo winner winner chicken dinner!

my experience with most autos under leds need a little extra cal mag during transition then I cut it out after stretch . Just my opinion on
Your opinion is appreciated. ✌️

Millwright

Millwright

Could be calcium deficient as well. You need to collect runoff and measure soil ph to check.
I looked for distilled water at the store, they are out.
I assume from reading other threads, if I don’t have ro water this is what to use to check.
Would you mind explaining the procedure to me?
Use distilled as is out of jug? Ph distilled water? About how much run off should I be looking for, a cup or so?
If high or low, do I need to flush soil with 7 and and go from there?
Thank you for the help.

Moshmen

Moshmen

In my opinion I wouldn’t change my water just add the calmag - maybe just -2-3 mil per gallon and see what happens

As far as watering goes there’s lots of opininions you appear to be leaning towards organic ? Water only type grow, which does not require run off however you are also feeding some salt based nutes this does require runoff to prevent salt build up, usually around 20% runoff
For future grows do s little diggin here on the farm and pick a direction and go , don’t combine the two next run that’s my opinion

Millwright

Millwright

In my opinion I wouldn’t change my water just add the calmag - maybe just -2-3 mil per gallon and see what happens

As far as watering goes there’s lots of opininions you appear to be leaning towards organic ? Water only type grow, which does not require run off however you are also feeding some salt based nutes this does require runoff to prevent salt build up, usually around 20% runoff
For future grows do s little diggin here on the farm and pick a direction and go , don’t combine the two next run that’s my opinion
I appreciate the input. Yes I lean organic. Honest question, where are you saying I’m getting the salts from?
Everything I’m using is OMRI listed for organic. (Except for the ph solution)

Millwright

Millwright

The reference above about runoff and ro/distilled was only referring to checking soil ph.
I was curios as to the proper procedure.

For future grows do s little diggin here on the farm and pick a direction and go , don’t combine the two next run that’s my opi

Moshmen

Moshmen

The reference above about runoff and ro/distilled was only referring to checking soil ph.
First I’m no master I know what I do- m going to try and get u done org help here @ComfortablyNumb ?

Moshmen

Moshmen

I’m considered soiless and moving to dtw in rockwool - but I know my autos I think .

like I said if they were mine I would just add a touch calmag I don’t think your ph is off .

Moshmen

Moshmen

Slurry test I believe 2 parts water 1 part dirt -stir let settle for 15-20 mins then ck water ph after soil has settled to bottom

Top Bottom