Leaf Problems

• Thread starter Bisthoven
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bisthoven

Hi guys,

i'm facing a problem and i don't know what might be the source. Attached you'll find a picture of a leaf.

I started from scratch with a seed (Black Domina - Indica) in a grow lightmix soil. After 4 weeks i transferred the plant to Plagron Batmix. I only need to give water untill the last 4 weeks of Bloom fase and then start adding nutrients for blooming. I use 1 300 ES LED. Current height: 40 inch. The plant is growing in a aprox. 6 galon pot with Plagron Batmix. I feed the plant with clean water every 2 days.

Im thinking about many sources for the problem.
Im lookin forward to read your comments.

What could be the source for this problem?

I appreciate your efforts people. Thx in advance!!

Leaf problems
B

Bisthoven

Need picture of whole plant in natural light

Attached you find a picture of the whole plant. Week 5 veg state - Sweet Zombie - Indica

Humidity is always around 50%
Temp +- 73 °F
Light being used: 1 x Elektric Sky 300 LED (height 40")
Soil: Plagron Batmix

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Voorbeeld foto
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Magnesium issue, I suspect pH; what are you doing regarding pH adjustment? I looked up your soil, let's see what it's reading, take a slurry test and post results

Screenshot 20190911 062246 Google
Screenshot 20190911 062309 Google
Reactions: Ina
B

Bisthoven

Magnesium issue, I suspect pH; what are you doing regarding pH adjustment? I looked up your soil, let's see what it's reading, take a slurry test and post results
I've been feeding only RO water with a few ml's of Alga Grow and Power Roots (according to the Plagron Batmix grow schedule). I haven't done anything for PH adjustments, because it should be almost neutral. I will do the slurry test and check out the PH values. I'm currently at work. I will share the information asap.

Thank you sir.

B

Bisthoven

Hi sir,

Like you said, i checked out a few things:

Soil being used: Plagron Batmix NPK 3-15-4 & pH 6.1 - 7.5 & EC 1.0 - 1.5 mS/cm (got this information from the package)
Soil ingredients: Peat, Perlite, worm castings and Bat Guano.

The soil has a very low concentration of nitrogen which is largely responsible for the growth of leaves on the plant. But then again as you mentioned a Magnesium deficiency might be the problem too.

Slurry test: pH = 6.5

Thank you in advance.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hi sir,

Like you said, i checked out a few things:

Soil being used: Plagron Batmix NPK 3-15-4 & pH 6.1 - 7.5 & EC 1.0 - 1.5 mS/cm (got this information from the package)
Soil ingredients: Peat, Perlite, worm castings and Bat Guano.

The soil has a very low concentration of nitrogen which is largely responsible for the growth of leaves on the plant. But then again as you mentioned a Magnesium deficiency might be the problem too.

Slurry test: pH = 6.5

Thank you in advance.
ppm of slurry test? So it sounds like a legitimate magnesium deficiency, you can mix a tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon and spray tops and bottoms of leaves till wet & add a few drops of a mild dish soap (but not a detergent soap) into the mixture if you have it but it works without it too. I usually spray two days in a row and it stops it cold

Edit: I looked at your pictures again, I would get after this issue sooner than later if I were you. In the case that something else is causing the deficiency spraying won't hurt & will buy you some time to find out if it is something else

Also I recommend everyone pH their water in soil to 6.5, I know not everyone does but that's just my opinion

Last edited:
B

Bisthoven

ppm of slurry test? So it sounds like a legitimate magnesium deficiency, you can mix a tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon and spray tops and bottoms of leaves till wet & add a few drops of a mild dish soap (but not a detergent soap) into the mixture if you have it but it works without it too. I usually spray two days in a row and it stops it cold

Edit: I looked at your pictures again, I would get after this issue sooner than later if I were you. In the case that something else is causing the deficiency spraying won't hurt & will buy you some time to find out if it is something else

Also I recommend everyone pH their water in soil to 6.5, I know not everyone does but that's just my opinion

Hi sir,

That's the first thing i'm gonna do. God i hope it works for my babies.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated!

I'll keep you informed sir.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I agree with the magnesium issue. I have never had a problem because I use tap water, which supplies all of the magnesium and calcium I need. A foliar application of epsom salts (very dilute) will improve things very rapidly if magnesium is the issue. If it isn't the issue, then you won't see much of an improvement and you will know that another problem is causing your issues. I have also seen overfeeding issues start like this as well. I'm not familiar with your growing medium, so I can't comment on it. I have seen a lot of problems with fortified soils that have nutrients added by the grower, which can cause overfeeding problems and the PH and lockouts that can result.
I would try the light foliar epsom salts (read up on the concentrations... you don't want to burn them with too strong of a solution). You should see results in a day or two.

B

Bisthoven

I agree with the magnesium issue. I have never had a problem because I use tap water, which supplies all of the magnesium and calcium I need. A foliar application of epsom salts (very dilute) will improve things very rapidly if magnesium is the issue. If it isn't the issue, then you won't see much of an improvement and you will know that another problem is causing your issues. I have also seen overfeeding issues start like this as well. I'm not familiar with your growing medium, so I can't comment on it. I have seen a lot of problems with fortified soils that have nutrients added by the grower, which can cause overfeeding problems and the PH and lockouts that can result.
I would try the light foliar epsom salts (read up on the concentrations... you don't want to burn them with too strong of a solution). You should see results in a day or two.

Hi sir,

For the seedling stage i used Gold Label Special Light Mix ( almost for 4 weeks). The only thing i did was feeding RO water with Power Roots & Alga Grow (advised nutrients for the seedling stage according to the manufacturer) Then i transplanted the seedlings (almost 4 weeks old) to Plagron Batmix soil (NPK 3-15-4). Nitrogen is very low tho.
This type of soil is fertilized enough for the next 6 weeks. The only thing i have to do after week 4 is feeding with RO water. For the last 3 weeks i have the nutrients (Bloom boosters) ready for use.

I will apply the Epsom solution and hope for the best. I increased the nitrogen concentration too.

Like you said, many things could be the source for this issue. I hope it's all about Mg.

Thank you for your efforts sir.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Hi sir,

For the seedling stage i used Gold Label Special Light Mix ( almost for 4 weeks). The only thing i did was feeding RO water with Power Roots & Alga Grow (advised nutrients for the seedling stage according to the manufacturer) Then i transplanted the seedlings (almost 4 weeks old) to Plagron Batmix soil (NPK 3-15-4). Nitrogen is very low tho.
This type of soil is fertilized enough for the next 6 weeks. The only thing i have to do after week 4 is feeding with RO water. For the last 3 weeks i have the nutrients (Bloom boosters) ready for use.

I will apply the Epsom solution and hope for the best. I increased the nitrogen concentration too.

Like you said, many things could be the source for this issue. I hope it's all about Mg.

Thank you for your efforts sir.
Is there a problem with your local water that you need to use RO water?

B

Bisthoven

Is there a problem with your local water that you need to use RO water?
There's no problem with my local water, but i'm having the idea to use RO water to minimize chances for germ development, viruses and to keep the concentration of dissolved chemicals as low as possible. Maybe the lack of dissolved chemicals like Mg might have contributed to the problem. I hope so.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
There's no problem with my local water, but i'm having the idea to use RO water to minimize chances for germ development, viruses and to keep the concentration of dissolved chemicals as low as possible. Maybe the lack of dissolved chemicals like Mg might have contributed to the problem. I hope so.
In the US, it is very common to add epsom salts to the plants if using RO. Most of the magnesium and calcium can be found in tap water unless the water is alkaline or extremely hard. I avoid RO water as the local water seems to have a perfect balance of minerals, which eliminates a lot of headaches.

Last edited:
B

Bisthoven

In the US, it is very common to add epsom salts to the plants if using RO. Most of the magnesium and calcium can be found in tap water unless the water is alkaline or extremely hard. I avoid RO water as the local water seems to have a perfect balance of minerals, which eliminates a lot of headaches.

Thank you for your advice. I'll use the local water if it's not too hard. I'll check it out. Growing is not as easy as it seems but i'm a fast learner thanks to guys like you, which i appreciate a lot.

Top Bottom