Leafhoppers!!!!

• Thread starter Belgos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Belgos

Belgos

Hi everyone, It appears that I have leaf hoppers. I’ve grown outside for years but have never had issues like I’m having now. It doesn’t appear to be too widespread but every day I find more and more patches as seen in the photo. I really don’t want to use insecticides or neem oil if I don’t have to. I’ve been checking and removing every day and so far I’ve only found about half a dozen in the past couple weeks or so. What do you guys recommend? Is there potential for this to become a real problem?

Leafhoppers
Leafhoppers 2
Belgos

Belgos

Ok guys so they are taking over and I’ve reached the point that if I don’t do something soon she could suffer irreparable damage. My local grow supply recommends Safer’s End All which is a 3-in-1 insecticide, miticide, and acaricide. It would be a damn shame if the spray made things worse than the bugs but the risk-reward has tipped the scales. Any recommendations? I don’t want to damage my plants. I’m very hesitant to use these products because I have ruined chilli crops in the past but have no experience using pesticides on cannabis.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Just spray in the evening, plants will be fine. You could put insect netting over the plants once you spray.

Madbud

Madbud

Leafhoppers are bad this year in MA, hydrangea seems to be their favorite, earwigs too but they don’t seem to like cannabis as much.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Leafhoppers are bad this year in MA, hydrangea seems to be their favorite, earwigs too but they don’t seem to like cannabis as much.
Leaf hoppers are all over my dahlias. I’ve treated but I think I have to retreat with a higher concentration. So far I’ve treated for tarnished plant bugs, aphids, asparagus beetles, cucumber beetles, Slugs, earwigs, And leaf hoppers, grubs, cut worms, caterpillars . Ugh!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Leaf hoppers are all over my dahlias. I’ve treated but I think I have to retreat with a higher concentration. So far I’ve treated for tarnished plant bugs, aphids, asparagus beetles, cucumber beetles, Slugs, earwigs, And leaf hoppers, grubs, cut worms, caterpillars . Ugh!
Sarah if you see this could you please tell me what these are? I'm thinking they're just ladybugs but they're orange
-thank you

Screenshot 20200704 144303 Talkatone

frebo

frebo

Sarah if you see this could you please tell me what these are? I'm thinking they're just ladybugs but they're orange
-thank you

View attachment 995846
Aren’t those lady bugs?
I spray with Organicide which has Neem seed oil and I top dress the soil with Neem Seed Meal(twice already this year)
I had an outbreak but under control now. I do have some leaf hoppers but they are eating older big leaves. I have more Lady Bugs this year than any other year. I do spray the whole plants with a foliar or plain water every evening after the sun goes down.

Seraphine

Seraphine

-thank you

View attachment 995846
Okay so I double checked because I wasn’t 100% sure. Lady bugs or lady bird beetles will have a different colored head, either white or black. I can’t tell from the pic if the head of white/cream or orange. If the head is orange, it is a Mexican bean beetle or a 24-spot lady beetle - both bad. If the head is whitish then it is a multicolored Asian lady bug - good.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Th
Okay so I double checked because I wasn’t 100% sure. Lady bugs or lady bird beetles will have a different colored head, either white or black. I can’t tell from the pic if the head of white/cream or orange. If the head is orange, it is a Mexican bean beetle or a 24-spot lady beetle - both bad. If the head is whitish then it is a multicolored Asian lady beetle - good.
Thank you!

Top Bottom