leaves burning from the margins in, and buds hardening. wierd yellow powder on stems.

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
303 DUB

303 DUB

so i have been doing lots of research and can't figure out whats going on, i first noticed burning yellowing and dying leaves in the middle of the plants first and then soon after this yellow powder strated covering the stems. it smells horrible. now the flowers on the plant are starting to harden up and look like they are dying as well at first it was just really effecting only one plant and now im starting to notice the same kind of burning on two other plants as well. i thought the ph was too high at first so i lowered it down from 5.9 to 5.5. that hasn't helped.
im growing in coco that i used enzyme in to get all the old plant material eatan up from the last round. i keep the ph at 5.5 and i use the canna line. 6th week of flower. problem started late week 4 of flower. using kool bloom and epsom salt along with cal mag at 2.5 mil/gal and just upped the epsom salt from 1 ml/gal to 2mil/gal. 1 ml/gal powder kool bloom.

303 DUB

303 DUB

CAM00259
CAM00260
CAM00261
CAM00262
CAM00263
CAM00264
CAM00265
CAM00266
CAM00267
CAM00268
CAM00269

303 DUB

303 DUB

as you can see the buds are turing hard higher and higher. they are hard as rocks in some spots. really only the very tops are good on the one plant that this all started with. but its now starting to happen on two other plants as well

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
I don't see what yellow powder you're talking about. Everything looks ok for the most part..I mean there's some shit going on but nothing major as far as I can see.

303 DUB

303 DUB

look at the pics of the stems.. and bud development has completely stopped and hardened up and is now turning brown from the base up. i have 3 more weeks to go but at this rate this plant isnt going to last that long. im going to take another pick that will better show the entire plant

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
It's hard to tell from pics but could be some kind of mold(from your description of yellow powder). I would foliar ewc tea- but thats only because I always do that and have never seen that... Also you may start to think about pulling down if they are as bad as you describe.

Edit: they do look mostly okay in the pictures...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I were you, 303, I would break out some loupes and scopes. Powder can indeed be some sort of pest, better to put to rest what it really is instead of guessing. Whether fungus or bugs, something that does not appear to be nutrient-related is happening. Broad mites? Hemp russet mites? Something else? Can't say for sure til you get a good gander at it.

303 DUB

303 DUB

my humidity in flower has never been above 40% and i dont think i have mites... been through three rounds so far and have had no issues with any bugs. i did have an issue with pm my first round but this doesnt look like pm at all. i will definitely check more thoroughly with my scope. could this issue be caused by me using old coco improperly you think? i treated the old coco with double strength cannazym before using again. i am going to check for mites in the mean time while all you guys think about it

303 DUB

303 DUB

CAM00283
CAM00284

here are a few pics in the light. if you look at the picture you can see how this progressed throughout the plant from the bottom to the top. the very top of the kola is nice and moist and still has beautiful white pistils but as you move down the top bud you can see how it is hardening and turning dry and hard. and as you move down the stem you can see all the smaller buds have been effected rendering this plant utterly useless. i checked for mites again and no sign of maggots/larva or mites at all. what in the hell!!!!? so frustrating

Golden Zia

Golden Zia

303 I am sorry to say but you may have The Hemp russet mite as seamaiden included in her list of suggestions.
If you used only a typical loop it is very likely you still missed identified them, as the russet mite is so small that it commonly mis-identified as a fungus or mold instead.

As you indicated the flowers have been affected from the bottom up. Typical russet mite progress pattern.
Try a USB mini microscope.
To put into perspective a typical russet mite is smaller than a typical spider mite's leg!

Good luck, I'll keep looking in.

303 DUB

303 DUB

I have looked over and over again with my 60-100x scope and saw nothing at all. I would be able to them with that kind of scope right? I really dont think its mites. But i will check a third time. Any other thoughts?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

check the divot in the petiole of your leaf for russets...that bud damage definitely looks like russets (they'll eat the hairs off your nugs) and so do those curled leaves. They can do some weird shit to plants.

I don't really have an answer for you this late in flower...when they used to pop up at my spot it was straight to the chopping block no matter what stage.

303 DUB

303 DUB

my apologies. there are russet mites. i looked in the divot and theres a bunch of the little fuckers. so what to do now? HELP!!!!

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I've heard good things about mighty wash, but I usually scrap everything and start again with treated cuts and a cleaned out room. No use in trying to fight something you can't see - eradicate it if you want to succeed.

Golden Zia

Golden Zia

my apologies. there are russet mites. i looked in the divot and theres a bunch of the little fuckers. so what to do now? HELP!!!!
yup I thought so, and as we solidarity added the leaf curl was another identifier. As for progression times I would imagine either they took hold late or you have only recently encountered them.

Mighty wash will not do the trick. nor will spinosad, azamax, neem, sns or just about anything else typical.
I have had to deal with these on both personal as well as commercial levels and the best mode of action would be to chop all and start over. Avid will do the trick with 2 doses, But you need to get educated on avid so that you can make the best decision for yourself. Good luck.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gotcha @Golden Zia -- however as far along as he is in flower, can we conscientiously recommend a toxic avenger like Avid? It seems that the Avid would be better used on young, vegging plants if it's all there is to use.
The first time I read about these things it was thought it was a fungus. Guy out in the midwest said he'd been seeing it in his grow for a while, used a fungicide and went on his way. IIRC it was a sulfur-based fungicide he used, so I would think a burn could help here. I'd also wonder about isopropyl alcohol treatments, but can't say whether or not it'll work.

Please remember, I've never experienced hemp russet mites or broad mites, this is only what I recall from reading what others did and said worked for them. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what fungicide this cat was using.

In the meantime, some light reading for you via Google Scholar: eradication hemp russet mite.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
O shitty, 2014... year of the gov. engr'd superbugs!
You'd think with a winter like this we could all get on the same page and get rid of these fuckers...

Latest posts

Top Bottom