Leaves discolored not sure what to do.

• Thread starter geemonty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

geemonty

I am new to growing. Have only grown 3 plants to harvest. Leaf tips are browning as well as a light green variegation is showing up on leaves. A few leaves are even curling a bit.

Growing in soil. 3 parts miracle gro potting mix to 1 part peat moss. I amend the soil with 3-4-4 Garden Tone and 5-1-1 Alaska Fish Fertilizer. I water every other day with well water and once a week mix in a glug of the 5-1-1 fish fert. My light is a Viparspectra xs1500 at 100% hanging at ~14" above canopy in a 2'x2' space. I have successfully grown this way and received good yields 3 times so far without any issues until now, beginners luck maybe. The only thing I changed this time is that I previously grew from seed whereas this grow I started from a super silver haze x apple juice clone. The plant looked amazing just 5 days ago. Not sure what to do. I couldn't seem to get the camera on my phone to focus, hope these are clear enough.
Leaves discolored not sure what to do
Leaves discolored not sure what to do 2
Leaves discolored not sure what to do 3
Leaves discolored not sure what to do 4

Any help would be appreciated. I was just going to flip it to flower when I saw this appearing and decided to wait to hopefully correct the issue.

Observationist

Observationist

no pro, but i think you have some nutrient burn/ too much nitrogen, and what is the PH at?

G

geemonty

no pro, but i think you have some nutrient burn/ too much nitrogen, and what is the PH at?
I use GH ph test concentrate so I cant give you a super precise number unfortunately. The runoff is at ~5.5 my tap water I use is at ~7.

Observationist

Observationist

I use GH ph test concentrate so I cant give you a super precise number unfortunately. The runoff is at ~5.5 my tap water I use is at ~7.
for soil, i think ur run off might be a little too low, soil likes 5.8-6.5, but OCEAN FOREST should stabilize.

i say 5.8-6.3 because my DUTCH PRO soil nutrients says that,
either way

Last edited:
G

geemonty

I haven't even had to worry about the ph until now I wonder if this strain just consumes less nutrients or something as I have done everything the same.

I have garden lime I use outside in my garden, would this be OK to use with cannabis? Or should I just do a flush and back off the nutrients for like a week?

Regardless of steps taken, I assume I should hold off on flipping to 12/12 for like a week until this is resolved

Observationist

Observationist

I haven't even had to worry about the ph until now I wonder if this strain just consumes less nutrients or something as I have done everything the same.

I have garden lime I use outside in my garden, would this be OK to use with cannabis? Or should I just do a flush and back off the nutrients for like a week?

Regardless of steps taken, I assume I should hold off on flipping to 12/12 for like a week until this is resolved
Usually dont have to in Soil.

i would not do anything just yet besides giving it just water, let some others chime in and also id wait on flipping till you figure out the issue.

studying deficiency charts.

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
miracle grow has slow release nutrients which screws your plant up. i see all sort of problems and deficiencies.
Copy/past the questions in the link provided and answer it here so we can help you out.

for starters, your curled leaves are either, your temps are too high and low humidity or to much light.
What stage is the plant in?

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

miracle grow has slow release nutrients which screws your plant up. i see all sort of problems and deficiencies.
Copy/past the questions in the link provided and answer it here so we can help you out.

for starters, your curled leaves are either, your temps are too high and low humidity or to much light.
need more info

yup thats why i hate that shit.

Reactions: PK1
G

geemonty

Sorry new here. I answered most of those question in my OP but I'll reformat as shown and fill in the missing info.

Indoor Grow
Strain - super silver haze x apple juice (clone)
Number of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Veg 29 days
Bucket Size - 3.5 Gallon plastic pot
Lights - 1 viparspectra xs1500 150W 100% at 18" height
Nutrients - 3-4-4 garden tone organic (1 tablespoon added to soil only so far) & 5-1-1 alaska fish fertilizer 2 tsp over the last 2.5 weeks
Medium - 25% Peat Moss 75% Miracle-Gro
PH - runoff ~5.5 source is ~7
Watering - every other day as needed
Humidity- 30% to 40%
Room Temperature - 70 to 76
Room Square Footage - 2' x 2'
Pests - none that im aware of

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

Sorry new here. I answered most of those question in my OP but I'll reformat as shown and fill in the missing info.

Indoor Grow
Strain - super silver haze x apple juice (clone)
Number of Plants - 1
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Veg 29 days
Bucket Size - 3.5 Gallon plastic pot
Lights - 1 viparspectra xs1500 150W 100% at 18" height
Nutrients - 3-4-4 garden tone organic (1 tablespoon added to soil only so far) & 5-1-1 alaska fish fertilizer 2 tsp over the last 2.5 weeks
Medium - 25% Peat Moss 75% Miracle-Gro
PH - runoff ~5.5 source is ~7
Watering - every other day as needed
Humidity- 30% to 40%
Room Temperature - 70 to 76
Room Square Footage - 2' x 2'
Pests - none that im aware of
1. look up cannabis VPD charts, you want to match those numbers as much as possible

2. Humidity probably too low goes into 1.

3. i don’t know what all is in that miracle grow slow release bullshit

4. 5.5 ph run off for soil seems too low, should be around 6

5. Can you test the PPM of the run off
can get a cheap TDS meter off Amazon

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i hate to tell you this, but that soil needs to get changed.

G

geemonty

Plant is doing fine now thought I'd post an update with the solution if it can help others.

So my cousin introduced me to a friend that works at a nursery after I mentioned it. They stopped by on Wednesday morning to hopefully help out. She told me the plant actually looks pretty good except that it needs a feeding. She told me to apply some of my garden lime to correct for the low ph which is most likely caused by the acid used in fish fertilizer production as an anti microbial during production. After she left I top dressed my plant with some fertilizers I use for flower. On her advice I cleaned up the canopy in preperation for flower cycle, removed the dead material. She said just give it a few days to recover and flip as normal and that it should do fine. She stopped by last night after work and brought me some potassium silicate to add to watering through bloom.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Plant is doing fine now thought I'd post an update with the solution if it can help others.

So my cousin introduced me to a friend that works at a nursery after I mentioned it. They stopped by on Wednesday morning to hopefully help out. She told me the plant actually looks pretty good except that it needs a feeding. She told me to apply some of my garden lime to correct for the low ph which is most likely caused by the acid used in fish fertilizer production as an anti microbial during production. After she left I top dressed my plant with some fertilizers I use for flower. On her advice I cleaned up the canopy in preperation for flower cycle, removed the dead material. She said just give it a few days to recover and flip as normal and that it should do fine. She stopped by last night after work and brought me some potassium silicate to add to watering through bloom.
Good friend, she is definitely pointing you in the right direction. Often times, less is more. I see a lot of involvement with the plant in initial post.

Let soil dry out, sounds over watered at a minimum. That Fish fertilizer is no good, way to acidic for cannabis. I've done it. Use it for the garden outside.

Listen to your friend and try to "help" the plant less. Just give em what they need and let genetics do the rest.

Also, not sure what temps/rh is, but read about VPD when you have a chance. Best of luck!

G

geemonty

Good friend, she is definitely pointing you in the right direction. Often times, less is more. I see a lot of involvement with the plant in initial post.

Let soil dry out, sounds over watered at a minimum. That Fish fertilizer is no good, way to acidic for cannabis. I've done it. Use it for the garden outside.

Listen to your friend and try to "help" the plant less. Just give em what they need and let genetics do the rest.

Also, not sure what temps/rh is, but read about VPD when you have a chance. Best of luck!
I wanted to try starting with spending little money so I have just been using what I have on hand which is mostly fruit/vegetables I grow outside so fish fertilizer and other things I have a lot of is what I have been using. I did just put together a DWC setup and will be going that route from now on. This plant is most likely the last I grow in soil.

You're right, my experience with houseplants and my outside garden has also taught me that less is usually more and that its easy to kill them with to much attention.

My temps have been mostly between 70-76 with RH @30-40. When lights go out the temps can drop to 65 but mostly stay at 70+. I just added a small humidifier and RH has now been between 40-55. Definitely looking into VPD as well as other stuff.

visajoe1

visajoe1

@geemonty you're already on the right track, you'll get there. you already have an advantage over most with outside gardening experience, you'll adjust to the differences and be fine. Good job with RH increase. Keep up the good work! Happy growing 😎

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
For me, soil has to be ~5.7-6.0 pH for cannabis to grow well

Top Bottom