Leaves turning yellow/brown on sides & curling! (PICS INCLUDED)

• Thread starter 420DankBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BoostNBuds

BoostNBuds

Cut off the damaged leafs, they're just holding your plant back. It struggles to keep it alive instead of putting its effort into more productive things like new growth.
They also just look really hot to me. I suppose moving the lights and all that was in order but I dont think anyone's asked you the actual temperature of your space and humidity levels. These are very important.
Lastly, it also looks like you may have a nitrogen burn issue as it generally starts at the leaf tips and progresses. With such small plants you should be going light on the nutrients in general. It's just not necessary. Dont just go by the nutrient manufacturers instructions, keep in mind it's in their best interest for you to use alot of product. As your using soil for a medium you probably shouldn't be fertilizing at all at this point.
-Ben

420DankBud

420DankBud

Cut off the damaged leafs, they're just holding your plant back. It struggles to keep it alive instead of putting its effort into more productive things like new growth.
They also just look really hot to me. I suppose moving the lights and all that was in order but I dont think anyone's asked you the actual temperature of your space and humidity levels. These are very important.
Lastly, it also looks like you may have a nitrogen burn issue as it generally starts at the leaf tips and progresses. With such small plants you should be going light on the nutrients in general. It's just not necessary. Dont just go by the nutrient manufacturers instructions, keep in mind it's in their best interest for you to use alot of product. As your using soil for a medium you probably shouldn't be fertilizing at all at this point.
-Ben
My temps have been consistently between 71-81 degrees F. Humidity levels fluctuate but stay relatively high around 60-80%. I use a moisture, pH & light meter which says most of my plants are receiving 400 units. If you have any suggestions let me know!

Recap: The plants were all doing great under the light until I left town for a week and had a friend water them 2x per day. When I came back I noticed multiple leaves turning yellow on several plants…I thought it could’ve been a nutrient deficiency but I was wrong. I transplanted them all to 3 gallon pots and used great white during the process. I think they’re looking better, but it’s hard to say

420DankBud

420DankBud

My temps have been consistently between 71-81 degrees F. Humidity levels fluctuate but stay relatively high around 60-80%. I use a moisture, pH & light meter which says most of my plants are receiving 400 units. If you have any suggestions let me know!

Recap: The plants were all doing great under the light until I left town for a week and had a friend water them 2x per day. When I came back I noticed multiple leaves turning yellow on several plants…I thought it could’ve been a nutrient deficiency but I was wrong. I transplanted them all to 3 gallon pots and used great white during the process. I think they’re looking better, but it’s hard to say

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's too much watering man. They look good though. Let them dry out a bit every day. Give them a good watering every other day. They should be able to handle 2 days at this point.
They look really good though, reaching for the sky means they are growing roots looking for water. That's perfect. That's when you water. Are you organic or salt based?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo over watering is not to much water.... its watering to often.

Also just gonna day it but don't take offense. Watering in little circles and around the plant only drives me nuts. I won't get into the why and the problems it cause but root do NOT grow into dry soil.

Water the entire pot to saturate the ENTIRE media then let it dry well before watering again. This should be done early in the photo period to give time for some uptake.

You do not need runoff but you DO need to get the entire media moist.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

OP read this to help you understand the mechanics of watering a bit more.

420DankBud

420DankBud

That's too much watering man. They look good though. Let them dry out a bit every day. Give them a good watering every other day. They should be able to handle 2 days at this point.
They look really good though, reaching for the sky means they are growing roots looking for water. That's perfect. That's when you water. Are you organic or salt based?
I think they’re both salt based. 4/6 were planted in happy frog and the other 2 in miracle grow. A local grower told me to not water for a few days to let them dry out. It’s been 3 days since I last watered and my hygrometer still reads in the middle. You think I should give them a little water or continue to let them dry out?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think they’re both salt based. 4/6 were planted in happy frog and the other 2 in miracle grow. A local grower told me to not water for a few days to let them dry out. It’s been 3 days since I last watered and my hygrometer still reads in the middle. You think I should give them a little water or continue to let them dry out?
How much do they weigh? Do they feel wet? The plant is in perfect growth at that picture. When it starts to droop a bit from that reaching, then you water it. Until it begins to droop, it still has more to grow. When you water it, it recharges the chemical batteries that run the whole thing and it sort of resets. As it dries out again, it goes looking again thru another growth phase until it begins to droop slightly (leaves level is where I like to water) and it starts over again.

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

Imo over watering is not to much water.... its watering to often.

Also just gonna day it but don't take offense. Watering in little circles and around the plant only drives me nuts. I won't get into the why and the problems it cause but root do NOT grow into dry soil.

Water the entire pot to saturate the ENTIRE media then let it dry well before watering again. This should be done early in the photo period to give time for some uptake.

You do not need runoff but you DO need to get the entire media moist.
@Aqua Man knows his stuff. Let the pot dry completely, then water to runoff completely. Don't water again till the pot is as light as cardboard. Roots need H20 AND 02 to grow.

420DankBud

420DankBud

How much do they weigh? Do they feel wet? The plant is in perfect growth at that picture. When it starts to droop a bit from that reaching, then you water it. Until it begins to droop, it still has more to grow. When you water it, it recharges the chemical batteries that run the whole thing and it sort of resets. As it dries out again, it goes looking again thru another growth phase until it begins to droop slightly (leaves level is where I like to water) and it starts over again.
Thinking retrospectively I should’ve initially weighed them, but didn’t think about it. They def feel lighter than they did 3 days ago, but that’s also the last time I watered them!

That’s good to know about the dropping & growth periods. I’ll prob give them some water starting tomorrow morning since that will be 4 days of drying out! Thanks for the advice!

420DankBud

420DankBud

OP read this to help you understand the mechanics of watering a bit more.

That is some great info, thanks for the share!

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

This is my 1st grow & I’m learning a ton of new Info, but I’m lost. These plants are roughly 3 weeks old and were recently up potted to 3 gallon fabric pots with happy frog soil & great white mycorrhizae. Over the past few days 4/6 plants have started yellowing on their leaves spreading from old to new growth. I thought it was a nutrient deficiency so I started feeding them with sensi grow and B-52. The yellow has continued to worsen & I’m starting to wonder if it’s a pH problem. I also started recently lowering the pH of my water (due to my tap water being more alkaline) to 6-6.5 with no changes in the yellowing neither.

Another local grower thought it could be due to over watering but they haven’t actually seen the plants. I was watering 2x per day when I had them in smaller pots and now it’s once a day in the 3 gallon pots.

The last pic is of my current grow setup except 5/6 plants are in 3 gallon fabric pots atm. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Any idea what your humidity is?

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Yeah it’s usually around 60-70%
When friend gets his clones in the mail....his look a little beat up like the lowers on yours do.

His thinking is the cells are exploding and the leaves burn up kind of similar than yours are. His are a little different. I suspect the humidity levels are in the 70's from where hes getting them from...its a theory he has...

They are looking better bro! Keep growin!!

420DankBud

420DankBud

I let the plants dry out for about 4 days then watered the plants with water + nutrients. It’s been 3 1/2 days since I last watered and some of my plants leaves are looking off. Can anyone help point me In the right direction?
Would anyone remove the leaf that’s curling down and inward (first pic). Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

C7168C3F 9580 49EA 9ECA BA14EC4D2B65
560FEB7E B61B 4486 B342 98B8769BDBF4
0FA505DF C63D 42DD AF24 5D0CE4D27C17
Top Bottom