Leaves turning yellow/brown on sides & curling! (PICS INCLUDED)

• Thread starter 420DankBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Of course.
Move? LOL I wish.
Ok so the lower we try to keep the humidity the harder a dehuey has to work and less efficient it becomes at removing moisture.... this means a lot more heat.

Now contrary to what ppl say about mold and fungus there are specific conditions that need to be met for several days before it occurs. There is a misconception about humidity.

Putting transpiration aside the humidity we need to worry about it that where it creates condensate when it comes to mold and fungus.

Airflow and proper pruning is the key to avoiding thise conditions. You can flower in 80% humidity and have 0 issues as long as it's 80% everywhere... meaning by the buds and around the leaves and inside the plant where it's almost always higher.

The ideal conditions for infection is actually low humidity days and high humidity nights... specifically the spike we see after lights out as the temps drop humidity will spike hard and often growers don't realize they are hitting the dew point in microclimates.

Now keeping a humidity in line with VPD is ideal but higher temps hold more water and make a dehuey more efficient... so there is that but also keeping humidity up around 60-65% is not an issue if you account for the nutrient uptake and have good airflow. So remember this point higher temps.

It's not the room temps that matter directly... its the plant temps which room temls have some influence on but so does evaporative cooling so good airflow help reduce plants temp allowing for higher room temps which makes the dehuey more efficient and it will run less with a higher setpoint..... a lot less. As it get harder for the dehuey to remove water at lower temls and lower humidity.

This means the AC runs way way less because the dehuey will not be putting off near the amount of heat. And add the warmer room temls means even less.

You want plant temos in to 75-78f range and can check this with none of these. Thise are the ideal plant temls for photosynthesis and under LED it's not uncommon to see plant temls between 4-10f cooler than room temps.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GB7CDXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_TPPX9NX3382B4KS4H0ZT

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

YES someone understands it lol you get condensation I believe when their is a rapid rise in tempature with humidity present will create condensation I believe but don't quote me lol and the condensation is what you have to worry about I believe. My humidity has stays between 47% on a good day to 65% at night. My temps don't rise very fast when lights come.on which helps keep condensation low. I'm still new to indoor growing but this is why we see morning dew outside because of this.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I get you. Makes perfect sense. LOL
We have a tent. Where we live it is literally impossible to cool or dehmidify anything. I am less than 50 yards from the ocean. We have a strong breeze all the time (most of the time) and it keeps everything in check. So our tent has a strong breeze keeping everything in there dry (above soil) and comfy. It's a bit warm, but we have not had mold or any other issue. Our real problem here is the pests. Name one and we have 37 varieties of it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

YES someone understands it lol you get condensation I believe when their is a rapid rise in tempature with humidity present will create condensation I believe but don't quote me lol and the condensation is what you have to worry about I believe. My humidity has stays between 47% on a good day to 65% at night. My temps don't rise very fast when lights come.on which helps keep condensation low. I'm still new to indoor growing but this is why we see morning dew outside because of this.
Opposite as temp cools humidity goes up and dew point goes down.

Warmer air holds more moisture. If any of you all have a hygrometer check before lights out then 30 min later if you have adequate air exchange it should be similar if not humidity will spike.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

In school, we had a guest lecturer come in and tell us there are only 3 of a certain kind of gecko. We all laughed. He was like, "What's so funny?" We took him outside and he counted at least 15 different ones before he stopped.

There are days I feel as if I'm in the Galapagos.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But my ac keeps the humidity in check for the most part. Still creeps up past 60% at night but I will get handle on that.
See this is opposite of normal and ill explain why. Look at the temp... its pretty constant. That means at lights out you won't see the spike I'm talking about due to temp drop.

The plant processes are different during lights on and off. During lights on transpiration is high And plants release about 95% of the water they take up through the leaves during photosynthesis. So in this cause you are seeing the humidity rise during the day and slightly after lights out until the extraction fan catches up as once the lights go out it take anywhere from 20-40 min for them to slow transpiration due to no photosynthesis.

So if you did get a temp drop that's where you see the massive spike.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

For us, because of where we live, it's critical to keep the tent the same temp as outside or the difference in temps causes puddling and will drown your plants.
The only way we found to keep the tent a reasonable temp and still combat mold is to never close the door. Everything around it was searched for any agent that could cause issues and removed.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Opposite as temp cools humidity goes up and dew point goes down.

Warmer air holds more moisture. If any of you all have a hygrometer check before lights out then 30 min later if you have adequate air exchange it should be similar if not humidity will spike.
I'll hand about 6% increase in humidity after about 1 hour but then very slow climb until lights on. Only about a 12% different which isn't anything to worry over yet I don't think. Hopefully lol pics of before lights off and right before on

Screenshot 20210621 231238 Govee Home
Screenshot 20210621 231356 Govee Home
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Our first indoor grow had mold and we had to figure out how to prevent it.
Dammned difficult using only the environment. We finally figured out just how much breeze we really needed.
Anything less than 10mph is too little and mold starts to take hold. We run at close to 15mph.

Dimi87

Dimi87

I would think that unless you live in the Mojave desert watering twice a day is overkill. I water my plants and then I'm gone two days and they are getting dry most days by then so I could water. Sometimes if I'm gone 3 days the big plants will be dying of thirst. I water as soon as I get back and they always recover just fine. Probably slows them down a bit but they march right through. Some of those old growers say too much attention is the worst thing you can give them
Also any plant has it's specific needs and this is because of variety of strain, pot, soil, climate, etc. As a newbie I was thinking to water every 2 to 3 days but I realized that the only thing I did was overwatering.You see, many soils-just as mine- are designed to hold the moisture longer so maybe you have to consider this fact too.Dont be afraid to leave it as much as it's necessary to dry.As I said, i was watering too often but when I realized that was wrong, I changed to every 7 to 8 days and everything was fine . Now my plant is bigger and stronger so I water about every 5 days, depends on weather cause I grow outdoors. As Beach_Bum said, you have to learn your plant and see when is thirsty. It is not something extreme difficult. I am new grower too and I tell you that I learned quick how to do it right.If I can, you can as well!

Top Bottom