LED lights for 8x4 grow tent

• Thread starter Amandajo84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amandajo84

Amandajo84

I am setting up an 8x4 grow tent. I am thinking about getting 2-1000watt lights. Does anyone know which kind I should get. The more research I do, the more I get confused. Even if it says 1000 watt led lights, am I still looking to see how much actual watts? Will I need more than 2 of these suckers?

Vagician

Vagician

If going HID in a 4x8 you'll need 2. I used to run 2 750s in my 5x10 and it was great.

Vagician

Vagician

What did you use for cooling?
Their hoods had glass tubes so I just used an inline fan with some 6" ducting. I ran them at night so they kept the room warmer at night and then in the daytime it was naturally warmer so that I didn't get a massive temperature swing. Not sure if 750 was the actual but they were hortilux 1000s turned down to 750 on the ballast.

Munch517

Munch517

I am setting up an 8x4 grow tent. I am thinking about getting 2-1000watt lights. Does anyone know which kind I should get. The more research I do, the more I get confused. Even if it says 1000 watt led lights, am I still looking to see how much actual watts? Will I need more than 2 of these suckers?

Do you ever plan on adding CO2? How much can you spend? If you're going to be growing awhile the high end lights are worth the money, if you're not too sure or are short on cash in the short term there's some mid-priced options that are really good.

Amandajo84

Amandajo84

Do you ever plan on adding CO2? How much can you spend? If you're going to be growing awhile the high end lights are worth the money, if you're not too sure or are short on cash in the short term there's some mid-priced options that are really good.
Yes, I plan on adding CO2. I do plan on doing it a while. What mid prise options do you recommend?

Munch517

Munch517

Yes, I plan on adding CO2. I do plan on doing it a while. What mid prise options do you recommend?

Well there's options. Too many options to fully cover. The safe reasonably priced choice would probably be to do two HLG 550s ($750) and possibly add some supplemental lighting when you add CO2.

The Growers Choice ROI light that Anthem posted above is supposed to be good, my local grow store sells them and a few people have liked them. The problem I have is with spending $1000 on an unknown brand, at that point why not just get the Fluence Spydr 2p or 2i for $250-$450 more? I have a ton more faith the Fluence lights than I do the ROI, I chose to spend a little extra for the Fluence. Either of these lights would work well with CO2, as would many of the big bar-style lights.

If I were in you shoes and I had the money for Fluence that'd be any easy choice for me. If you don't want to spend money on Fluence but you can afford $800-$1000 per light it becomes a tougher choice between HLG and a bar-style Fluence clone like the ROI, I would personally go with the ROI in that case. If you need to spend even less the options get sparse, as most cheaper lights either can't make use of CO2 or would require multiple lights adding up to a cost equal to or greater than the higher end lights.

Feel free to post more about your needs, myself and others here are happy to try to help.

Amandajo84

Amandajo84

Well there's options. Too many options to fully cover. The safe reasonably priced choice would probably be to do two HLG 550s ($750) and possibly add some supplemental lighting when you add CO2.

The Growers Choice ROI light that Anthem posted above is supposed to be good, my local grow store sells them and a few people have liked them. The problem I have is with spending $1000 on an unknown brand, at that point why not just get the Fluence Spydr 2p or 2i for $250-$450 more? I have a ton more faith the Fluence lights than I do the ROI, I chose to spend a little extra for the Fluence. Either of these lights would work well with CO2, as would many of the big bar-style lights.

If I were in you shoes and I had the money for Fluence that'd be any easy choice for me. If you don't want to spend money on Fluence but you can afford $800-$1000 per light it becomes a tougher choice between HLG and a bar-style Fluence clone like the ROI, I would personally go with the ROI in that case. If you need to spend even less the options get sparse, as most cheaper lights either can't make use of CO2 or would require multiple lights adding up to a cost equal to or greater than the higher end lights.

Feel free to post more about your needs, myself and others here are happy to try to help.
There is just so much information on the web and I've been trying to do as much research as possible. I have been stuck in which lights to get for over a week now. I am new to this and I know that lighting is one of the most important factors and I just want to it right. I am wondering if the HIDs would be better for me to start out with or if that would make my electricity bill go waaaayyyy up. There are so many options, I'm glad I didn't order the cheap LEDs!!

Munch517

Munch517

There is just so much information on the web and I've been trying to do as much research as possible. I have been stuck in which lights to get for over a week now. I am new to this and I know that lighting is one of the most important factors and I just want to it right. I am wondering if the HIDs would be better for me to start out with or if that would make my electricity bill go waaaayyyy up. There are so many options, I'm glad I didn't order the cheap LEDs!!

I would not recommend getting HIDs at all, LEDs are the way to go for sure. Any yeah, I feel you on trying to research lights, I delved deep into this while doing my own research. Can you afford $1600-$2000 total to light your 4x8 area?

Anthem

Anthem

Munch pretty well spelled out the LED options. You got the high end at Fluence, then you got Gavita and stuff like the growers choice. All work, some a little better than others, but you will get good results with any of them.
HID / HPS presents other options. The upfront cost is substantially cheaper, but the running cost is what gets you. Not only do you have the extra watts to pay for but you would also need to consider the cooling requirements of HPS.

Nugg

Nugg

Screenshot 20200228 190146

2 of these is more than enough..no need for 2k$ in lights

specklefart

specklefart

I made the equivalent of the HLG Rspec 550 for $600. If you are a DIYer it is a fun project. You could make them cheaper buying four LED drivers at a time. It took about an hour to assemble.

Top Bottom