LED lights

• Thread starter poina
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

poina

As a new member let me say thanks in advance! I'd like to know your opinion/advice on led girls new led setup advertised over at IC. She claims 126w led will outdo 400w hid. Seems bs but if it would work, goodbye to heat issues.
I'm a real dweeb at ventilation, I know I'll have to have some for smell, but would like to keep it to a minimum.

convex

convex

Seen many threads, including here; that start with LED and are quickly abandoned for HID.

R

Radio_Dread

Seen many threads, including here; that start with LED and are quickly abandoned for HID.

...thats just great. i could see the whole panic thing playing out just when you realize that you def should have got a HID...just priceless:scared0016:

M

matkins1234

I've seen some threads on here with incredible results under LED, with mind bogglingly low wattage, to the point that the growers felt inclined to repeat their LED set ups and invest more into them inspite of the fact that they already had all the HPS equipment. However, these types of grows are few and far in between and you really need to know the technology well to get good results... Also, they didn't buy a prefabricated LED light, they made their own... That may be what made the difference.

M

matkins1234

I'd say try that light on an individual plant. Not that It'll be super efficient or anything, but I bet that plant will get a monsterous amount of lumens.

H

HappyJackal

TH Seeds engineer talk about LED at HTCC

Hey all~
Been trying to keep up on the LED discussions on various boards and I wanted to check if anyone else heard this...
I was in the audience at this last HTCC and in the time slot TH Seeds was scheduled for the cultivation seminar(Nov. 25th), this engineer cat got up and started talking about a prototype 180W 4-band they were gonna have out in February '10. It would cover a recommended 1.2 square meter area using 3W diodes.
At the time I wasn't really considering LEDs for myself, so I didn't follow up with the guy afterward. Didn't get his name, and I'm not even sure he represented TH Seeds.
At any rate, he created a subtle buzz in the audience, so I got the impression this was something exciting. He made a point of acknowledging previous models' red deficiency and penetration issues.
Any of this sound familiar?

C

chickenn

you can't beat them for veg. they grow the thickest, most tight noded plants i have ever seen.

the jury is still out on using them for flower.

B

Bill Bloome

Greetings Bro's I might have some have some help here.I work at the House of Blues and about three weeks ago,I was talking to our Lighting Director about lights,movers and the advantage of HID over CFLs.Now this guy is an electrical geek and knows more about lighting than anyone I know.His opinion was the high watt CFLs were great for small areas;ie:micro grows ;Hid for larger areas or rooms but he said the LEDs were the wave of the future.A 3 band 90 watt LED fixture with a minimum of 100 bulbs will compare,if not surpass a 400 watt HPS.And 4 band technology is right around the corner.We had Chickenfoot at the House about 6 weeks ago and they were using LEDs on movers for stage lighting!!I couldn't believe how bright those fuckers were.Friends, it's a whole new world a-coming!

R

Rolln J

try and bud something under leds - youll quickly want to get off the wave!

R

Radio_Dread

what is the big craze about with LED any way? No heat? low watts? i dont see what this craze is about this "new" future light.

L

LA Woman

I would say it would be awesome.
1.No heat issues
2.No noise from ballasts
3.Much lower electric bill
4.FLIR is no longer even an issue (even though I don't worry about that anyway)
The fact is I personally have never seen anyone with even 1/2 as good results compared to HID. I wish it were true. I would say most of us would ditch HID in favor of LED in a moment but..............

S

SSHZ

Procyon 100

I had 4 of these and they let me return them. They are weak and equal to a 250 watt, not a 400 watt. They told me to check back in a year or two when the technology improved. I wasn't happy at all, especially for the price.

"Procyon 100"

$595.00
The Procyon 100 LED Grow light is the cutting edge in lighting technology! Cut operating costs by 70%, and never replace another light bulb again!
Check out our Procyon 100 picture gallery to see more pictures of the light.

•56 CREE* Xlamp high power LEDs (40 635nm, 16 450nm)
•100W nominal LED power delivery
•125W total power consumption
•70% more light than the UFO
•Integrated power supply; requires no "ballast"
•Replaces 400W HID light, giving 75% power savings
•Covers approximately 10 square feet
•50,000+ hour LED life
•Proudly made in the USA!
•Measures 13.5" x 5" x 5", weighs 7lbs.
•2 year manufacturers warranty
•Award winning!
•These are on backorder, expect 1-2 week delay in shipping
•Celebrate your independence from high electric bills and heat with our Independence Day sale!

L

LA Woman

I had 4 of these and they let me return them. They are weak and equal to a 250 watt, not a 400 watt. They told me to check back in a year or two when the technology improved. I wasn't happy at all, especially for the price.

"Procyon 100"

$595.00
The Procyon 100 LED Grow light is the cutting edge in lighting technology! Cut operating costs by 70%, and never replace another light bulb again!
Check out our Procyon 100 picture gallery to see more pictures of the light.

•56 CREE* Xlamp high power LEDs (40 635nm, 16 450nm)
•100W nominal LED power delivery
•125W total power consumption
•70% more light than the UFO
•Integrated power supply; requires no "ballast"
•Replaces 400W HID light, giving 75% power savings
•Covers approximately 10 square feet
•50,000+ hour LED life
•Proudly made in the USA!
•Measures 13.5" x 5" x 5", weighs 7lbs.
•2 year manufacturers warranty
•Award winning!
•These are on backorder, expect 1-2 week delay in shipping
•Celebrate your independence from high electric bills and heat with our Independence Day sale!

I veg with 240 watts of t12 floro, and I bet you would produce quite a bit more with them for the entire grow, than the leds IMO.

K

Kalcu

Just got a 12 watt 440 nm blue, it's great. It's a lot larger than what I was expecting, the green 12 watt LED is much smaller. This thing is bright and almost purple, it makes a great party light if you want to spend a hundred bucks.

It's for being between two 125 watt cool CFL bulbs inside of reflectors, I think it should go great. If they were not so expensive, I'd get some red 660 nm just to see how they work on buds.

I've only seen good things from LED's, the tightness of a powerful HID but with the crystals of a CFL. It's just that they are not cheap, you would not want to get busted and have these taken away!

I don't think I like the UFO's myself or these other systems, although I have never seen one in person. It seems nice to have these and they are a tad heavy, they are made of metal around where the LED's are.

I also have no idea how to hang it other than those pull string sockets, just not exactly sure how I'm going to hang this. It's great for a night light to turn off the CFL's and have a very cool color to sleep with.....as well as additional light spectrum for a veg space.

This light puts out probably four times as much as a CFL and much more focused in not only the wavelength but also it's beam.

S

sleepyhead

impossible.......... the thing is it costs too much money to get the right kind of led theres many kinds and everyone who is praising leds doesnt get what the difference between light we see with eyes and what plants see is 2 different things.. and besides anyone whos smart enough knows the best and most high tech leds that actually are tuned for growing plants only do 2 grams per watt

so with a ratio of 2 grams per watt HOW YOU GONNA OUT DO A 400w LAMP if you know how to grow at 1gram per watt

and please you gotta be verry good to get even close to 2 grams per watt from LED's

sooo much more waiting to do

K

Kalcu

impossible.......... the thing is it costs too much money to get the right kind of led theres many kinds and everyone who is praising leds doesnt get what the difference between light we see with eyes and what plants see is 2 different things.. and besides anyone whos smart enough knows the best and most high tech leds that actually are tuned for growing plants only do 2 grams per watt

so with a ratio of 2 grams per watt HOW YOU GONNA OUT DO A 400w LAMP if you know how to grow at 1gram per watt

and please you gotta be verry good to get even close to 2 grams per watt from LED's

sooo much more waiting to do

True, I'd never consider going with LED's alone at this price....the blue is a great night light since it's not very bright like the CFL. So it makes sense to have the veg plants like the mums where you sleep.

At this point I can't think of any reason at the current price, to have some red LED's with flowering buds...although it would be cool, just not economical.

It's not for people that don't have money to throw around and not expect huge results. It's just to darn expensive, if it was $20 for a 12 watt that isn't bad...it puts out what looks to be close to a 65 watt CFL, just more focused.

I can see the light, it's a visible spectrum. But the 125 watt CFL's do put out a lot more light, just not the precise wavelength...but these still veg very compact plants...the 2700k is very orange too.:rasta2:

bud good

bud good

yeah from what ive read id only use them with hids for adding spect that your hps are missing i was thinking about adding 90 watt ufo to my 400 watt

O

ogk420

I had this problem last august. i bought a 5-band 350 watt l.e.d light from this company in florida. They were the newest type of l.e.d light on the market and it was SUPPOSED to be the equivalent of a 1000 watt h.p.s. well i also own a 1k h.p.s so i ran them with the same strain in two different rooms, same nutes, same soil. basically just to see how the results compared, basically to sum it up i sent the L.E.D back after the grows were done because while as it did do amazing in veg, it absolutely sucked in flower. the meds were great from what it did produce but it lacked almost half the weight of what my 1k produced. hope this helps anyone considering gettin l.e.d right now.

Top Bottom