LED log: 50 Watt $120 delivered

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

50 W Led grow Light 25X3 watt 60 degree chip 4220 Lumen
CREE & Epistar chip 30 % more light 2-5 day USA ship

It took several weeks to get here from LA, but this is on USPS not the seller.
Surface mail to interior Alaska can take some time.

DSCN3379small.jpg

She arrived well packed and NO paperwork.
Draws 50 Watts and is surprisingly bright to look at.
Fan noise is minimal / what you expect from muffin fans.
The only markings on the exterior have yet to provide me any information.
Note two red buttons.
One of them turns lamp on.
The other must be for an option this unit was not wired for and performs no observable function.
The case is sturdy and heavy.
DSCN3376small.jpg

Attachment points are sturdy and it came with these four lengths of cable.
It seems nicely sized for a planting flat.
To take these photos I needed to turn off the light. These pictures are taken in pitch dark with camera flash.
The unit is positioned 18 inches above flat rim to give the struggling little ones what looks like optimal coverage.
DSCN3382small.jpg

I count 25 LEDs.
The plastic covering the case opening is of unknown clarity or utility.
The lamps look to me to be recessed enough that light might be getting trapped.
If I had more than one I might not mind splashing some of that light about.
Sounds like I'm talking myself into removing some screws and having a look round.
I have been lighting this flat for two days now and can see no indication that the plants are not doing as well as under fluorescent.
It is important that this investigation be made to work.
Electricity is very expensive here, as I am reminded every month.
I hope you find my first venture into LEDs informative and entertaining.
I continue to disappoint myself with limited skills, but I plan to keep at it and attempt to provide comparative results when possible.
To this end, regard the two lone seedlings, visible amongst cuttings struggling to find roots.
They have a matched pair under florescent.
Efforts to communicate with vendor re. empty switch were responded to promptly and in a well intentioned form of English that I found somehow reassuring while remaining unclear.
Suggestions are encouraged and will be addressed in future performance reports. I will attempt to keep conversational posts to a minimum as I am well aware of how easily this subject can inflame even the best of friendships.
Not to mention chum for trolls.
So keep it clean gentlemen, and those few finer forms of human who deem to join us here on the farm.
Just the facts as I see them, and then some.

Dunge

Dunge

White Fire and Purple Wreck X Blue Moonshine f2

I thought this subject line might incline a few subscriptions.

I understand that this 50 Watt LED is too small to show much of anything, but I do have a scientific education and intend to keep things under the LED that have analogs in the fluorescent area. And I have a nice string of candidates.

Not only do I have these headline grabbing beauties from seed, but I will identify some matched growth clones of Grapefruit Blueberry (currently my most simpatico strain) and Eldorado.

So in two weeks I should have four pairs of plants lined up, and hope to show that this little LED can keep plants alive as well as my 4 foot by six bulb fluorescent kit.

It's all about controls.
If you ain't got it, it's just talk.

DSCN3387small
Haze

Haze

Subscribed for sure. Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable info with us. Looking forward to seeing how these compare to the flouros.

Haze

Dunge

Dunge

Call this day one 14 Nov 2011

This is the lineup.

In the upper left corner, freshly rooted clone Eldorado. As the name would suggest, she is all sativa. Have grown her out a number of times with a few good results. Not worth the trouble, but what are you going to do. We go way back.

Just South is Grapefruit / Blueberry. Another fresh clone from this summer where it was grown from seed. Of the seven summer plants I attempted to re-veg and clone, these two are the only ones to make it. GB is my favorite smoke at the moment, grew well outside, and clones easily in Rapid Rooters. I plan to grow lots of this.

On the right are the up potted White Fire and PW/BM. These two have been under LED for about two weeks with no noticeable difference from fluro.

Each of these has a marked match under fluorescent.
They will grow like this for at least six weeks with periodic updates.

My fluorescents sit over three trays and draw 150 Watts, so the power cost per flat is identical. (50 Watts)

DSCN3388small
chazbolin

chazbolin

50 W Led grow Light 25X3 watt 60 degree chip 4220 Lumen
CREE & Epistar chip 30 % more light 2-5 day USA ship

It took several weeks to get here from LA, but this is on USPS not the seller.
Surface mail to interior Alaska can take some time.

DSCN3379small.jpg

She arrived well packed and NO paperwork.
Draws 50 Watts and is surprisingly bright to look at.
Fan noise is minimal / what you expect from muffin fans.
The only markings on the exterior have yet to provide me any information.
Note two red buttons.
One of them turns lamp on.
The other must be for an option this unit was not wired for and performs no observable function.
The case is sturdy and heavy.
DSCN3376small.jpg

Attachment points are sturdy and it came with these four lengths of cable.
It seems nicely sized for a planting flat.
To take these photos I needed to turn off the light. These pictures are taken in pitch dark with camera flash.
The unit is positioned 18 inches above flat rim to give the struggling little ones what looks like optimal coverage.
DSCN3382small.jpg

I count 25 LEDs.
The plastic covering the case opening is of unknown clarity or utility.
The lamps look to me to be recessed enough that light might be getting trapped.
If I had more than one I might not mind splashing some of that light about.
Sounds like I'm talking myself into removing some screws and having a look round.
I have been lighting this flat for two days now and can see no indication that the plants are not doing as well as under fluorescent.
It is important that this investigation be made to work.
Electricity is very expensive here, as I am reminded every month.
I hope you find my first venture into LEDs informative and entertaining.
I continue to disappoint myself with limited skills, but I plan to keep at it and attempt to provide comparative results when possible.
To this end, regard the two lone seedlings, visible amongst cuttings struggling to find roots.
They have a matched pair under florescent.
Efforts to communicate with vendor re. empty switch were responded to promptly and in a well intentioned form of English that I found somehow reassuring while remaining unclear.
Suggestions are encouraged and will be addressed in future performance reports. I will attempt to keep conversational posts to a minimum as I am well aware of how easily this subject can inflame even the best of friendships.
Not to mention chum for trolls.
So keep it clean gentlemen, and those few finer forms of human who deem to join us here on the farm.
Just the facts as I see them, and then some.
Curious if this is advertised as a veg through bud source?

How's the temperature coming off of it?

pulling up a chair

P

PatFenis

looks like the same Chinese shit in the same case every led peddler is selling?

Dunge

Dunge

True, but they claim to have imported US LEDs inside.
I have yet to open the case and check it out. I'm just letting it run 24/7.

D

doublejj7

Whats the wall plug look like, are you able to daisy chain them?

Dunge

Dunge

USA standard 120V w/ ground.
No daisy chain on this one but the far end has an otherwise inscrutable cutout as if "daisy chain" was a manufacturing option.

Dunge

Dunge

day 7 side by side status

I observe no difference between the plants under LED vs fluorescence.
Photo 1:
I have already screwed up this record in that I failed to photograph the fluorescent clones on day 1. I picked them to be matched, so I guess this will have to do.
LEDs on top, fluorescent in the bottom flat.
White Fire - red oval
Purple Wreck X Blue Moonshine - yellow oval
Eldorado - blue triangle
Grapefurit/Blueberry - purple triangle
Photo 2:
For historical/visual reference.

You may observe that my clones are alive and will probably all survive, but they are far from thriving. I can't notice ANY growth.

DSCN3390small
DSCN3387small
Dunge

Dunge

Got it off ebay. 1st post provides advertised details.
Air from fans feels cool, like blown room air.

Dunge

Dunge

side by side update -17 days

Still no difference that I can see.
I'll be back in two weeks to end this test.
Damn, plants grow slowly don't they?

DSCN3395small
DSCN3387small
Dunge

Dunge

Final report

These started out over a month ago under like conditions as to watts being expended to light them.

The first thing I'm thinking is that my sample size is too small to say much of anything but that all four plants are doing fine.

Both plants under LED are more compact and have a richer look than the fluorescent.

I will probably hold off on buying more LEDs until the price comes down some more.

DSCN3396small
Top Bottom