LED stip grow light composition for elongation

• Thread starter Bordel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bordel

Bordel

Hi,

I would like to create LED stripe set up for my house plants. My intention is to build one box for rooting (full spectrum) and one box for elongation only. Every plant reacts differently to red and blue light and as it seems, red light promotes elongation growth more often so I would go 90% red and 10 % blue light.
Is there anyone who tried this? What is the best red and blue LED strip you can buy? I am from the Czech Republic and the only strip I can buy is pure red, but it is not meant for growing. Do you think it would work?

Please, don't forget that I don't need my plants to be healthy with large leaves, I need thin long stem ideally with small leaves, i.e. shadow stressed like.

Thank you for any advice!
BEst B.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Hi,

I would like to create LED stripe set up for my house plants. My intention is to build one box for rooting (full spectrum) and one box for elongation only. Every plant reacts differently to red and blue light and as it seems, red light promotes elongation growth more often so I would go 90% red and 10 % blue light.
Is there anyone who tried this? What is the best red and blue LED strip you can buy? I am from the Czech Republic and the only strip I can buy is pure red, but it is not meant for growing. Do you think it would work?

Please, don't forget that I don't need my plants to be healthy with large leaves, I need thin long stem ideally with small leaves, i.e. shadow stressed like.

Thank you for any advice!
BEst B.
I would include far red to indicate shade and promote stem elongation. I use these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Far-Re...ficiency-Initiator-Single-Light-/133268554971

Cree sells the diodes individually.

Here is why:

Bordel

Bordel

I would include far red to indicate shade and promote stem elongation. I use these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Far-Re...ficiency-Initiator-Single-Light-/133268554971

Here is why:

Here is why:

Hi, Thank you very much for your input. Yes! Far-red light is definitely needed. I would go photo red and around 30% far-red. I will use CREE diodes and make my own setup (shipping is too expensive).
One more question, what should be total watt coverage per square meter? I was thinking somewhere between 30-40W. If plants get too much energy, leafs are too large and stems are too thick. I don't need any of that so the mentioned wattage seems reasonable.

Thank you !

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Hi, Thank you very much for your input. Yes! Far-red light is definitely needed. I would go photo red and around 30% far-red. I will use CREE diodes and make my own setup (shipping is too expensive).
One more question, what should be total watt coverage per square meter? I was thinking somewhere between 30-40W. If plants get too much energy, leafs are too large and stems are too thick. I don't need any of that so the mentioned wattage seems reasonable.

Thank you !
So remember, plants don't convert the energy into sugar. They take photons. Fr has lower energy, but same number of photons. Bugbee has material on exact conversion in a paper if not a video.

This makes thinking about it in terms of watts hard. Check out www.cocoforcannabis.com for a guide on power. 40w sounds reasonable to me, but that's nowhere near as well supported.

Latest posts

Top Bottom