Led Supplemental Lighting

• Thread starter TheRainmaker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheRainmaker

Does anyone have any real world experience with using LED technology for supplemental GH lighting? I have spoken to numerous companies and its hard to believe all the claims as I am generally speaking with salesmen.

Thanks in advance...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wish I could say yes, as I'd been planning before winter. Alas, I cannot. And the best I could do is point you towards the last salesman I spoke with. :/

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

My advice is haggle. They will have a decent markup on lights. Don't walk out with a salesman still smiling. In a capitalist Market the best deal is the one where both parties walk away feeling they could have gotten a better deal. Don't be the only party feeling that way at the end.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Does anyone have any real world experience with using LED technology for supplemental GH lighting? I have spoken to numerous companies and its hard to believe all the claims as I am generally speaking with salesmen.

Thanks in advance...
I highly recommend supplemental lighting. Its broadens the light spectrum and plants love it. That being said dont spend too much on extra lighting.. you just want to broad the spectrum the cheapest way possible... if youre growing with low MH then supplement with high nanometers. If youre growing with high hps then supplement your low nanometers.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Rainmaker -- let one of us mods know if you want this cleaned up.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Contact Transcend Lighting. They have a D200 (230w) built like a tank, developed especially for supplementing in GHs . It is no longer a link from their website, so, not sure it's still available. I have one that I used to grow in a tent. It worked great, but is very heavy for most tent frames

T

TheRainmaker

Thanks, they look like tanks, I will check them out. So far I'm looking at PL Lighting and Nextlight.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was looking at Apache Tech, but it's a bit rich for my blood.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I highly recommend supplemental lighting. Its broadens the light spectrum and plants love it. That being said dont spend too much on extra lighting.. you just want to broad the spectrum the cheapest way possible... if youre growing with low MH then supplement with high nanometers. If youre growing with high hps then supplement your low nanometers.

I personally do just this.

I have some led light bulbs all same brand.
20170105 120213

1 pair of 2700k 17 watt 1600 lumen ea.
1 pair of 5000k 15 watt 1600 lumens each.

20170105 120955

When I'm using the 2700k to supplement my mh it adds %11.03 to the total light output. And adds %7.90 to the electricity consumed for lighting.

When using the 5000k to supplement my hps it adds %5.81 to the total light output. And adds %6.97 to the total electricity consumed for lighting.

I do believe plants benefit from more full light spectrums.

So adding a few supplemental led bulbs is a good idea. They are cheap to operate and they produce little heat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom