Leggy seedlings...can anyone advise please šŸ˜

• Thread starter Flowerpower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Flowerpower420

Hi all, im currently running 6x super kush fems and im having a few issues,

I germinated using the wet paper towel method which worked brilliantly and had 6 tap roots emerge after about 36hrs,

So i carefully placed them into a mix of moist 70/30 coco perlite (quarter strength feed) at about a 1/4 inch deep taproot facing down, in 10cm pots.

2 days later they shot up and the first leaves appeared and now they seem to have their first "true" leaves but i think they are stretching a little bit too much.

Im currently using a 300w maxibright LED turned down to 20% power (60w) and hanging them at 24" above the seedlings.

Temps have been ok-ish sitting between 24- 28Ā°C with this morning i checked and was 32Ā°c!! So i powered my extraction up a little more and opened my tent doors to bring down the temps and all is well now.

Humidity is sitting around 65-70%

Does anyone have any idea why my babies are stretching asmuch? All my parameters seem to be ok could be better if i want to be anal about it but i feel that most things are consistent.

Dont know if this is normal and im a little stumped as to wether lower light, increase intensity or drop temps and humidity a little or leave as is???

Any advice would be great guys

Peace out āœŒļø
Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 2

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 3

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 4

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 5

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 6

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 7

Leggy seedlingscan anyone advise please 8

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Look fine to meā€¦ could be a bit warm. What light cycle are you running?

Keep temps around 75-80f (24-26c) as to high can cause some stretching. What kelvin is your light source? Under 3500k will contribute to stretch. Humidity 55-60%

Madmax

Madmax

Never knew that ^^ i thought maybe the lights too far away as im at 8 1/2 to 9" away at 96watt 6500 kelvin..

I learnt something today šŸ˜ƒ.

F

Flowerpower420

Keep temps around 75-80f (24-26c) as to high can cause some stretching. What kelvin is your light source? Under 3500k will contribute to stretch. Humidity 55-60%
Hi mate thanks for your reply, i think its around 42,000 at full power but i could be wrong!

Light cycle is 18/6,

Il have to dig out the paperwork for that light and i will correct myself if im wrong, awesome il drop my humidity a little.

Cheers mate šŸ‘

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi mate thanks for your reply, i think its around 42,000 at full power but i could be wrong!

Light cycle is 18/6,

Il have to dig out the paperwork for that light and i will correct myself if im wrong, awesome il drop my humidity a little.

Cheers mate šŸ‘
Kelvin is color temp not the lux

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ah ok, erm well i have no idea lol, ive posted a web link for the light im using but still no answer on kelvins.
I think most healthy seedlings pop up like that. I plan on it and usually try to start them lower in a solo cup then fill in soil as it stretches up. you can bury them right up to the primary leaves or just let it go...support if needed with a paper clip and they'll be fine.

F

Flowerpower420

I think most healthy seedlings pop up like that. I plan on it and usually try to start them lower in a solo cup then fill in soil as it stretches up. you can bury them right up to the primary leaves or just let it go...support if needed with a paper clip and they'll be fine.
Brilliant mate, thanks so much guys šŸ‘

F

Flowerpower420

Dont know if this is what your referring to mate but thats pretty much all i can find online about this light.
Screenshot 20220804 153824 Chrome

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Heres a link to a website about the light im using guys, i cant find any info on kelvins....
What Aqua is talking about is this:

That is the spectrum of your light per the manufacturer (although these are often just pretty pictures and not based on reality)

What you see here is a distinct shift towards red with a spike in blue and a heavy green - way more than most. That red leaning light triggers hormones in the plant to suggest it is in shade and to grow fast to get to daylight. Blue on the other hand says I am in full daylight, focus on roots and leaves vs. stalks.

EDIT: there is also a significant far red component here that seems virtually unbelievable. That hump past 700nm. That is also a shade trigger. Turn that off if there is a far red switch or dimmer on your light.

F

Flowerpower420

View attachment 1267943

That is the spectrum of your light per the manufacturer (although these are often just pretty pictures and not based on reality)

What you see here is a distinct shift towards red with a spike in blue and a heavy green - way more than most. That red leaning light triggers hormones in the plant to suggest it is in shade and to grow fast to get to daylight. Blue on the other hand says I am in full daylight, focus on roots and leaves vs. stalks.
Ah awesome mate thank you!!

So judging by the specs of that light, does turning the light % up or down effect its light spectrum? Or will it stay the same just at different output?

Sorry about all the noob questions guys im new-ish to growing and these bloody LEDs confuse the hell out of me and thats without understanding power %, hanging heights, PPFD and so on lol. I just thought that power was displayed as WATTAGE but i couldn't be further from the truth it seems hahahaha.

So with that graph above, do ypu guys think im in the right range of 20% power and hanging height of 24"?

Thanks again guys and thanks for your patience šŸ‘

F

Flowerpower420

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Ah awesome mate thank you!!

So judging by the specs of that light, does turning the light % up or down effect its light spectrum? Or will it stay the same just at different output?

Sorry about all the noob questions guys im new-ish to growing and these bloody LEDs confuse the hell out of me and thats without understanding power %, hanging heights, PPFD and so on lol. I just thought that power was displayed as WATTAGE but i couldn't be further from the truth it seems hahahaha.

So with that graph above, do ypu guys think im in the right range of 20% power and hanging height of 24"?

Thanks again guys and thanks for your patience šŸ‘
Based on what I see in the link you provided, there seems to only be a dimmer. If that is the case, the entire spectrum will be unchanged as you twist that, but the intensity will change.

Since you don't have any other control, you are going to have to roll with what the light gives you.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

View attachment 1267943

EDIT: there is also a significant far red component here that seems virtually unbelievable. That hump past 700nm. That is also a shade trigger. Turn that off if there is a far red switch or dimmer on your light.
Wow....thanks that's never been explained so well short concise exactly what I needed to understand about it all......I see a pretty pic, I've heard Dr.B.B & others but you nailed it so It makes more sense to me....Fk I have red lights..Blue lights.full spec and why????? because they said to it would help.....whyy?????.......layman's terms & short sentences are all I can under stand....tks...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom